Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Flowers In The Dirt*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Murdock, Sep 18, 2015.

1. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

And Paul is carrying something for you*!

* it's a bong.

2. Thanks! I haven't downloaded it yet and probably won't get around to listening to the whole thing back to back until Sunday.

3. csnfan

csnfan Forum Resident

I've actually submitted in the live Elvis/Paul "Mistress and Maid" from 95 or so on my playlist - I haven't heard the cassette demo - But the sound quality isn't bad, and it provides for a more complete collection

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  4. Any verb will do as long as it's an action verb!

5. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I just read the interview with the FITD producers again, and it got me thinking (never a good thing :D); the album sounds like Paul was stuck at a musical crossroads, and rather than deciding to take one direction (reference not intended :laugh:) or another, he went ahead and merged the differing styles of music together.

I personally can't help but think that he should have taken the Costello songs and worked on them with Elvis and Froom and maybe even Chris Hughes, and that the rest of the 'dancier' or 'funkier' material should have been kept for Horn and Lipson, either for an album or a standalone single/E.P.

The divergent approaches and ideas seemed to cause a lot of disagreement, between Paul and Horn/Lipson and between Paul and Elvis. In a way, it is a shame that he tried to work with all of them within the same period of time.

6. He was desperately seeking critical acclaim, fan acclaim and a best selling album which I think caused him to focus on a variety of styles including some that might have been popular at the time (or he thought was) rather than, as you point out, committing to one or another.

theMess likes this.
  7. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Well...now I want band demos of Shallow Grave and I Don't Want to Confess.

Those are great songs.

Mr. Explorer and theMess like this.
  8. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

9. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Ben, if I ever meet Paul I will make a point of mentioning to him the mistakes he made in this era that you rightly point out and I'll suggest, no... I'll insist that he consult with you in the future to help avoid these preventable, grievous errors. :D ;)

10. sdldawn

sdldawn Forum Resident

I like the clock sounds at the end of the Geoff mix

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  11. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Thank you; it is about time that someone spoke some sense in this thread. :D Paul obviously needs help in getting some much needed commercial success, and who better than I to advise him. :laugh:

In reality, my previous comment probably originates in my greed to hear more of Paul's music; why have one album when it could have been two seperate releases?

daveidmarx, mrjinks, Zeki and 2 others like this.
  12. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

On the subject of the Geoff Emerick mix of "The Lovers That Never Were," the Daily Beatle says:

THE LOVERS THAT NEVER WERE ( DEMO #2) 4:06
    NEW- never released on bootleg before. It uses the SAME demo (track 1) recorded by Paul and Elvis in 1987 as a musical bed underneath, but adds additional instruments (a different piano intro, guitars, backing vocals from Linda and additional elements like a clock sound at the end) overdubbed by Paul after he recorded the “band demo”(Flowers Archive CD 3) in 1988 .​

But I can't find anything at all about the Emerick mix in the Flowers books, let alone the detail that it was overdubbed after the band demo was recorded. Is this original research? Speculation? Am I missing something?

13. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I have to believe Paul's mediocre career with not even one good song is directly attributable to a lack of advice from Ben, theMess.

And as far as wanting two seperate releases... You are one greedy PSD. :laugh:

Mr. Explorer and theMess like this.
  14. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Which version of Good Sign is the download? I just listened to it and after a minute or so it changes from the version I'm used to. I'm not sure about how many Good Sign mixes were made but the one I'm listening to now, from the downloads, is almost what I'm used to but it's just not the same in terms of structure. What's what Macca 'experts (tm)'?

Edit: To be a bit more exact - I just checked and it's exactly the same as what I'm used to until 1:12 and then there's a break down and a 'yeaaah' before the first verse comes in at 1:20 that I hadn't heard before.

SixOClockBoos and theMess like this.
  15. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

If only he'd listened to me more often; then he really would be in a mess. :D

16. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

Well I don't have an answer on your Good Sign question, as that's a new song for me...

But ahem, we're Macca Scholars, thank you very much! ;);)

Paging Dr Grove, what is this "expert" nonsense, I didn't go to 12 years of Macca School for this... :wantsome:

17. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

Since everyone is posting what number their limited edition is it made me want to go look at my other archive boxes just to see what my lowest number was.
    My "Tug Of War" Super Deluxe Edition is # 319
    And my "At The Speed Of Sound" is # 831

18. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

I think you're right. It is just another mix of the '87 demo. I just think it's strange. I wonder why it was done?

19. Paul should have had Elvis harmonize with him on This One. It begs for a lower vocal part .

20. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

I just listened to the original demo disc and found it to be tedious. Strum, strum, strummy strum strum. Harsh sounding acoustics zelously being strummed, non stop 8th notes for 33 minutes. I can't imagine wanting to hear this album all the way through again. Bits and pieces in a setlist maybe, otherwise just a little too much of that sound for me. I will ultimately track down the other disc and download tracks, I'm sure to enjoy those more. I love Flowers in the Dirt itself and look forward to cranking up the remastered disc.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    pantofis, Frank and Mr. Explorer like this.
  21. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

22. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

As promised, I said I would make a disk and stick it in, I am a man of my word

23. It should have been illegal for Paul to play white reggae. I wanna be happy I wanna be free :tiphat:

Fortuleo, supermd, Yorick and 2 others like this.
  24. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I must admit quite a few very interesting takes on the set since the boxed set came out!!

Wingsfan2012 and Yorick like this.
  25. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

Great job! I downloaded my tracks but Man I wish I had your talent. Looks like an official disc! :righton:

Rick A.

andy75, Carlox and Zeki like this.