What happened to Blu-ray Audio?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by floyd, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Thank you. What is the purpose of doing this? Doesn't make any sense to me.

2. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

"People need to face the fact that 5.1 music has absolutely ZERO mass-market appeal in 2017."

This first sentence I would mostly disagree with. True, at this point "mass-market" is a stretch, but a solid sub-market is ABSOLUTELY there, imo.

"The only way I ever see Blu Ray audio dying entirely is if someone comes up with a way to stream 5.1 music. It's not so crazy to think of."

This sentence makes a lot of sense. This is very likely how things will evolve. The big point is though, 5.1 is pretty awesome and is not going away. I believe it will grow in acceptance. The format is what's in question.

RevolutionDoctor and formu_la like this.
  3. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

I've heard it justified by others saying the record labels want to identify leaks, so if they give HDTracks one watermark, and AcousticSounds another watermark, and the album leaks early with the HDTracks watermark, they know someone at HDTracks was the leak...

BUT that sounds like a terrible reason for ruining the music I just paid hundreds of dollars for. So, I don't know. Before we get this thread any more off-topic, you might want to do a search here for hi-res watermark. There's not a ton of info, but some have posted screenshots proving the watermarking code and how audible it is with spectrum analysis and other tools.

robcar likes this.
  4. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Wow...I'm going to check this out. I have the high-res 2112, but haven't noticed that yet. Thanks!

AlanDistro likes this.
  5. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

No 5.1 for me either and I doubt I will ever get set up for it. I just got them for the stereo transfer like The Who's Quadrophenia.

AlanDistro likes this.
  6. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

What happened to HD-DVD?
    What happened to SACD?
    What happened to DSD?
    What happened to 24/96?
    What happened to MQA?

The music industry could not roll out a successful new format if you put a gun to their heads.

They should make 45RPM vinyl for the purists and 16/44 cd's for everyone else.

The biggest reason (along with piracy, downloads and streaming) cd sales are falling is that classical lovers are getting old and modern pop music isn't worth buying.

7. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

A big problem is they released too many competing formats at the same time. VHS/Beta, SACD/DVD-A, BD/HD-DVD, etc. Each time there were competing camps with equipment that was incompatable with both formats. So while the idiots saw $ signs and refused to work with each other most consumers waited until the market would sort itself out or universal players came out. Since corporations are run by nitwits who can't see past the next quarterly profits, they didn't stick with anything to let it take hold. Each time it became a self defeating lesson in how not to do business. It's amazing no one remembered CD's were successful because everyone was on the same page when it came out. Greed beats brains everytime.

rxcory, Dan Steele, ben_wood and 8 others like this.
  8. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Even with the Depeche Mode set, they got lazy with the disc authoring. I cannot stop the disc part way through without its restarting from the beginning next time I turn the player on. (Oppo BD-83)

9. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

To the O.P. aside from BluRay Audio being dead, how do you like your new CXU?

10. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

The same thing that's happening to other physical media, audio sound quality, and everything else...

Spotify.

scobb likes this.
  11. floyd

floyd Senior Member Thread Starter

So far I am happy. I have only had it a few days and these have been very busy days for me so I have not been able to really explore it fully. One negative thing, I find their user manual pretty low on information. They refer you to their site for more info but honestly I have not found that much better.

I too am a stereo listener, no surround system yet. I hooked the analog outs to my McIntosh MC30 mono blocks (vintage tube gear) and it sounded great! I ran then straight to the amps - no pre-amp, and controlled the volume via the remote on the CXU. Then we ran an HDMI to our AV receiver (for movies or t.v. watching when I don't need to fire the tubes up) then I got no sound but have not had time to troubleshoot and the website was no help. I think it is a quality player though.

12. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

Neil Young Psychedelic Pill Blu-ray is still in print for reasonable price.

Steel Horse and Vinyl Socks like this.
  13. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Thanks for your thoughts, I'm on the fence!

14. floyd

floyd Senior Member Thread Starter

does anyone know if the 30th Anniversary edition of Bob Marley's Legend, the one with CD and Blu-ray audio (stereo and multi channel) is a different mastering (for the stereo tracks) than the first Legend that came out on blu-ray audio?

15. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Unfortunately I think the stereo tracks are the same.

The 30th Anniversary M/C track is where all the action is.............sensational. :agree:

16. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

Could it be(based on UK trends)that surround sound is yesterdays thing,just like 3D television? Most houses in the UK(and indeed the European mainland) are smaller than U.S houses....and few "better half's" like their living space cluttered with wiring and loudspeakers hogging every available corner....hard enough in most cases to get away with a pair of speakers,no matter how persuasive the claims that they are furniture:)

17. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

SACD hybrids have not died still being produced especially Classical ones.

18. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

SACD
    Like MQA, it required a $~200 investment in a single piece of hardware, and for most people, it's not even portable from one room to the next unless you are streaming from a receiver, which also puts you in some rare air.

Per the thread's title.... why DID the format disappear? Was it not compatible with a device in a lot of living rooms? Or is BluRay a device in fewer living rooms than I think?

19. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Did you check the format outputted by HDMI in the Set up Menu? It may not be correct (for instance Bitstream does not work with my setup to my DAC). Alternately, if the HDMI output is set to "DUO" perhaps you have the video only connected to the processor. . . you may want to change from DUO or to DUO in the Setup menu for HDMI.

I've had a CXU for several months now. It is a very good machine and sounds very good. I have a Denon DVD-A1UDCI that I've used for years that has a slightly better picture and better sound, but it was more than four times the price list and should! It has become picky with new Blu-rays so the CXU is used in the main system and the Denon is now the source for my headphone system (wonderful CD and SACD sound).

At the current price for the CXU unless you need a lot of "apps" for streaming sites (I don't) I'd definitely recommend a look and listen.

20. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

I just listened to the 2015 24/48 "Tom Sawyer". I can't hear anything that sounds like a low, swishy mp3 artifact. Comparing it to two original pressings on LP, either I can't hear it or I am unsure what I am listening for.
    But I am intrigued, to say the least!
    Are you talking about the low tone (sounds like a synth or bass pedal with FX) that vanishes at the :15 or :16 mark?

21. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Thanks for your thoughts, I just need a new Two-Channel disc spinner for RB and SACD playback only. I have no monitor in my Stereo setup.

I really don't want to lay down $1000. + for a dedicated SACD player as I don't have a huge library. Most of the reviews on the CXU state that even though its a Universal player it does Two-Channel (with its dedicated Stereo RCA outs) quite well, and its at a good price right now.

Apologies to the O.P., not wanting to derail your thread.

22. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

It's really a shame to not experience the 5.1 mix of this incredible recording. The stereo version is no doubt great, but the 5.1 just has so much space to it, it's stunning. Why not take your disk down to a retailer demo a surround set up with it?

quicksrt, Bill Mac and Digital-G like this.
  23. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

It's really astonishing, but it's only part of the album. I wish they would have release the entire album in 5.1 instead of just part of it.

24. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

That is probably the only way to hear it as no one I know as 5.1. In an ideal world I would listen to all the stuff I have on David Gilmour's houseboat where I bet everything sounds fantastic.

PhilBiker likes this.
  25. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Lol. Perhaps you can offer up a bottle or two of great wine at the houseboat and ask him to do a little listening? Bet he he has a couple of 5.1 recordings you've not heard!

Flaming Torch likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.