SACD Players Under $2000 With Best Redbook Sound

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DennisF, Mar 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident Thread Starter

My Marantz 8004 SACD player is nearing the end. I like its sound on SACDs but always felt standard redbook discs sounded better on my Rotel 1072. Suggestions on a nice sounding SACD player that also has good sound on standard CDs? I would like to spend less than $2000, but thats my limit. Thanks.

2. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

At that price point you might be better off getting a really good sounding SACD player plus a really nice sounding DAC to play your CDs through. That is one way to get the best of both worlds.

However, were I to try for that goal myself, I think that I might get an Oppo 103 + a Vanity HD Card (DoP Version), plus a Mytek DAC. That is pretty close to that price point, and it would allow you to play your both your Redbook CDs and your SACDs through the Mytek (as genuine DSD via DoP) from the Oppo/Vanity HD combo.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    mds and Mike from NYC like this.
  3. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Why is it nearing the end?

Carlox and nwdavis1 like this.
  4. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident Thread Starter

Random skipping that doesn't happen on my other player, taking longer to read than it used to. Also, as I mentioned, standard CDs sound better on the Rotel.

5. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Yamaha CD S1000 would be a good choice.

Steelymark and NOS300B like this.
  6. JakeM

JakeM Senior Member

Have you thought about stepping up to the Marantz SA-14S1? I'm selling one in the classifieds right now for less than $2K.

7. volta

volta Forum Resident

The Oppo seems to be the best way, I would say.

8. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

The optical pickup lens needs cleaning. I don't know exactly why, but the Marantz ones seem to be extra sensitive to dust, smoke, etc.

nwdavis1, Bill Mac and tmtomh like this.
  9. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

I have the 8004 myself, and I am really am impressed with the redbook; it's the SACD that I never thought was that great. YMMV. But, other than the skipping, what is it about the sound you don't like? Just a thought. I looked at your profile, and you list audioquest black mamba interconnects. Is that what you are using? FWIW, I tried a similar model audioquest cable with mine, and it was awful with the 8004. Before laying out a lot of dough for a new player, I'd at least try some different interconnects. Interestingly, my 8004 also seems to be loading just a tiny bit more slowly of late, but never skips.

10. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

I can't completely confirm this because I don't use SACD but it has been stated in the past that for CD playback better sound comes from CD read mechanisms and NOT from multi read SACD/CD lens pickups. So if you really want a good quality CD player it is best to get a CD read lens and not one that is a jack of all trades.

You can get a cheap SACD player from OPPO and then a dedicated CD player. And if one breaks you always have the other as a back-up.

McLover and jamie anderson like this.
  11. bgiliberti

What's the cheap OPPO?

12. SMc

SMc Forum Resident

Is the Oppo 101c still available? It was around $400.

13. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

consider the cambridge audio 851C. not SACD compatible but will deliver the best redbook / hybrid layer sound i have heard under 2K. sound quality superiority is easily noticed when played up against my marantz sa8005. a refined high end sound.

14. bgiliberti

What about the Naim players?

15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

So CD/SACD players from Esoteric are substandard to CD only players because they're "jack of all trades"? C'mon man ;).

Products | ESOTERIC

I have two Oppo players (103/105D) and think both the lens pickups work just fine with CDs. They're definitely not state of the art players but for the cost hard to beat :).

efraley and alan967tiger like this.
  16. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

have not heard them. not much Naim for sale in my area.

17. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

You may find a Yamaha CD-S2100 (CD/SACD player) on sale at the top end of your budget (they can be found around that price now in AUD), this also has optical, coaxial and USB dac options as a bonus and comes with a 5 year warranty. If you can find one I'd highly recommend an audition.

In the interests of full disclosure: I seriously loved the sound of the CD-S3000 but, unfortunately, it seems I was unlucky and bought a faulty one as it has spent more time at the repairers (and still is) than with me since early January this year :mad:!

18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Man, that Yamaha CD-S2100 looks like a very nice player. That's too bad you're having issues with your CD-S3000. From what I've read Yamaha A/V components have excellent reliability ratings.

CD-S2100 - CD Players - Hi-Fi Components - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha United States

clevice and George P like this.
  19. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

I nominate this for most honest post of the year, which is why I trust your ears on this. Hope you get the player back soon.

20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I second that nomination, well said and I totally agree :).

Ntotrar likes this.
  21. Richard Austen

Would you say most machines on the market are representative of Esoteric? IE - do you think the $500 machines use the same transport mechanism that Esoteric is using? Instead of sighting the outliar why not consider the "general" market?

The transport and laser pick-up matter. Pretty sure Esoteric uses one of the VRDS mechanisms which explains their price. And if you have that sort of money - you are still probably better off buying a dedicated CD player like a CD only Philips Pro 2. I've played CD through Esoteric and it wasn't anything special for Redbook. Although I did not try it as a transport only out to a better DAC.

I've tried several Oppo machines for CD and they were pretty terrible I am sorry to say. I even tried one that was modified with tubes for double the money but that was pretty bad as well for CD. I'd take the non modified version. But this could just be the internal processing (DAC) - again not tried them as a transport only.

jamie anderson likes this.
  22. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

In your earlier post you did not specify any price ranges at all. You made a broad based statement that I don't believe is accurate. That statement was without actual experience other than what's been "stated in the past".

"I can't completely confirm this because I don't use SACD but it has been stated in the past that for CD playback better sound comes from CD read mechanisms and NOT from multi read SACD/CD lens pickups."

23. Richard Austen

But if you read the title of the thread the OP is asking for SACD/CD players under $2000. So the price range was already established.

I know several manufacturers who think multi-readers are trash which is why they don't use them. Dealers have also said it's better to use CD only readers for CD replay.

Esoteric is probably in the $20,000+ price range. And you would likely be better off buying a CD only transport using the Philips Pro 2 for $5,000 and buying a $5,000 SACD player. I sure would want to put it to the test before I forked out the extra $10K+ Especially for a Solid State unit.

jamie anderson likes this.
  24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Which manufacturers? Dealers? Probably dealers that don't sell CD/SACD players so of course they wouldn't recommend what they don't sell ;).

F1nut likes this.
  25. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I never understood the argument behind multi-format players being unable to output excellent sound for more than one format. It's like saying there aren't any speakers that can play all types of music well.

izgoblin, Blue Cactus and Bill Mac like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.