The BLUEGRASS thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry, Feb 9, 2017.

1. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I just got the first NRPS album on CD over the weekend, and that led me to this Youtube clip:

Some fine mandolin work here.

2. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff Thread Starter

If you like Tony Rice, I suggest you also check out Brian Sutton and Dan Crary. Both great pickers in their own way, but in that Tony Rice vein.

When I saw The Bluegrass Sessions Band in October 1999 at Town Hall in NYC, Brian Sutton filled in for Tony. I was very impressed and sought out his records. He can also be found backing up some big acts, Dolly Parton coming to mind for one.

Dan Crary's albums can be found easily and cheap enough, and all are great. The usual suspects backing him up.

waaguirr, 4xoddic and Dennis0675 like this.
  3. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Solid advice

4. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

New record, sounds really good

carlwm and Larry Johnson like this.
  5. Jerry

I'd like to add David Grier to that trinity of great pickers.

mando_dan, Dennis0675 and Dok like this.
  6. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Didn't he play on a lot of the 'Pickin' On' series? I've got his Psychograss album somewhere around here. :cheers:

7. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

I heard a song recently I can't track down. It's a guy introducing several great pickers, followed by a short but tasty interlude by each guy, the two I remember hearing were Merle Travis and Luther Perkins.
    Anyone familiar with this tune?
    THX!

8. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

9. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I'm not really a fan of bluegrass, and yet one of my favorite albums is "So Long So Wrong" by Alison Krauss & Union Station. Besides other albums by this band and Alison as a solo artist, can someone recommend any other albums along these lines?

akus1985 likes this.
  10. AGimS

AGimS Forum Resident

Tony Rice - "Nightflyer"
    Tony Rice is the inspiration for /idol of AK. Nightfligher is a great compilation of singer-songwriter -bluegrass style similar to the style of AK. Plus you get the insanely great guitar-playing of Tony Rice.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  11. BigDanT

BigDanT Forum Resident

Got this today

[​IMG]

Dennis0675 likes this.
  12. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

Dok likes this.
  13. Dok

Dok Senior Member

^Speaking of Danny Barnes, he has a new bluegrass album out called Stove Up. Here is a live version of a song from it.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  14. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Jim Lauderdale & Ralph Stanley all week. Love the two records they did together

Dennis0675 likes this.
  15. Jerry

Another great banjo album fro the late great Bill ("Brad") Keith! Some tracks recorded by my friend Jack here in Connecticut. Personnel: Bill Keith (banjo); Jim Rooney (vocals, guitar); David Grier, Eric Weissberg, Craig Vance, Mark Howard, Eddie Diehl (guitar); Gordon Titcomb (steel guitar, mandolin); Tony Trischka (banjo); Sam Bush (mandolin); Kenny Kosek, Larry Packer, Mark O'Connor (fiddle).

Check this article out:

https://bluegrasstoday.com/fleck-trischka-and-friends-honor-bill-keith-at-grey-fox-banjo-summit/

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  16. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

That's one of my favorites along with Down On A Georgia Farm. Nancy Blake played cello but also guitar and mandolin a lot with Norman and The Rising Fawn String Ensemble.

17. vivatones

vivatones Forum Resident

Here's Mike Auldridge of The Seldom Scene with "Bottom Dollar" featuring Linda Ronstadt

18. Jerry

More Bill Keith:

This is the song medley that Bill played backstage at The Opry in 1962, as a guest of Earl Scruggs. Bill Monroe heard it and immediately afterwards had Kenny Baker approach Bill Keith with this message: "If you ever want a job with Bill Monroe, you've got it." Bill eventually did, but had to work under the name of Brad, as Monroe's ego couldn't have another "Bill" in the band.

This was originally recorded for an album with Jim Rooney and Joe Val and others called "Livin' On the Mountain." Nine of those songs can be found on this collection:

[​IMG]

Dennis0675 likes this.
  19. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I'll have to pick that one up

20. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

21. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I had no idea, I need to hear that.

22. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I've got that but I never play it. I can't separate it from the disturbing images of the movie. I also feel it perpetuates an ignorant stereotype of rural culture. Other than that it's a good movie and soundtrack.

23. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

My friend, I heard a song from that album played by Andy Griffith long before that movie came out. I love the blue grass sound of those pickers on that album, that banjo just is smoking hot. Maybe they should change the picture on the album, and just call it Blue grass classic from back in the day?:)

Dennis0675 and ianuaditis like this.
  24. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I don't have the CD, but i do have the tune on a couple of (self-created) compilations. I hear it near St. Patrick's day because one of them is a mix of Irish traditional with a couple of banjo/bluegrass tunes. (with both Irish and Appalachian versions of "good old Mountain Dew." :D)

I've never seen the film so I don't have to worry about any negative associations.

Dennis0675 and Johnny Rocker like this.
  25. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

There ya go, I'll just think of Mayberry from this point forward.

ianuaditis and Johnny Rocker like this.