Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

jonathan_s and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Let me guess. They have that already.

3. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I'm boycotting mainstream Hollywood movies until they start coming up with some new ideas again. Enough with all of the sequels, remakes and reboots already.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Considering "Lion King" and "Aladdin" exist as Broadway shows, this has really already been done...

5. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I know that, but what I really meant was movie remakes.

6. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

What is a "live action" remake of The Lion King actually going to entail, since there's no human characters in the story? Won't it just be a hyper-realistic, but still animated film??

7. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

It'll look like the Jungle Book but without any humans.

8. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

That's what I figure, and is exactly what I described: hyper-realistic (CGI) animation.

9. Oatsdad

I understand, but it wouldn't take a whole lot to expand those properties to the movie screen. Just make a film of the stage versions and voila! Live-action remakes!

10. Oatsdad

As I noted in earlier posts, a "live-action" version of "Lion King" would emulate the stage production.

Admit I doubt they'd do it, though. Audiences accept humans in animal costumes on stage but probably not in the same way in movies.

Because "Lion King" includes no human characters, a version ala the 2016 "Jungle Book" would still be fully animated - there'd be nothing "live action" about it.

"Hyper-realistic CG animation" is still animation! :)

Vidiot and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  11. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Vidiot likes this.
  12. ZAck Scott

ZAck Scott Senior Member

Here's the thing: There are new ideas that are not Sequels, Remakes, and Reboots. Unfortunately, No one watches them! The nice Guys came out last year, an original story from Shane Black starring Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling It grosses 36 mil Domestic with a 50 Mil Budget! Life came out last weekend, an original story With Jake Gyllenhaal and Ryan Reynolds. It opened at 13 Mil with a 58 Mil budget. Both are great films but no one is going. You know what people are going to? Remakes Reboots and Sequels!

PH416156 likes this.
  13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I saw Nice Guys which I enjoyed a lot, but not sure if I'd call it 'great'. I also plan on seeing Life, but not in a theater.

14. ZAck Scott

ZAck Scott Senior Member

And That's the problem! People complain that there are no original stories in film and it all Sequels, Remakes and Reboots. Yet When there is an original film that you are interested in, You won't see it in the theater. The Theater is the barometer for studios to make their decision on their future product. Since a lot of people are going to the remakes and reboots yet people are interested in New films but are too lazy to go show it by going out to the theater and patronize the film, They're digging their own grave!

Dudley Morris likes this.
  15. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I really liked The Nice Guys. It was similar in feel to Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, done by the same director a decade earlier. Both very good movies that didn't get enough attention.

Chris DeVoe, aussievinyl and eddiel like this.
  16. I, for one, am greatly looking forward to the live action remake of Cars. Not least because I want to see Vidiot's reaction. :)

17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Too bad, I've stopped going to theaters years ago - I simply don't need the hassle. In any case, I care far more about quality TV programs than movies. TV productions have embraced originality and quality - this is where the action is, not movies, as far as I'm concerned.

budwhite and Tristero like this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

That's what I asked. I'm guessing it's gonna be like Jungle Book, but with zero human characters. Bizarre.

[​IMG]

19. Vidiot

Sure, there are good movies in theaters that people went to see. I'd point to La La Land, Arrival, and Moonlight as just three from last year that were pretty outstanding movies that made decent money (big money in the case of the first). None was a sequel, none was a remake, each was an original idea done for film (though Arrival was technically based on I think a novella).

Speaking of new films that are not sequels, who the hell ever thought that this silly Boss Baby movie would make $42 million this weekend and push Beauty and the Beast out of the #1 slot? I'm baffled by this.

‘Boss Baby’ Paycheck At $42M+; Can It Push ‘Beauty And The Beast’ Out Of Top Spot? ‘Ghost In The Shell’ At $23M

ZAck Scott likes this.
  20. ZAck Scott

ZAck Scott Senior Member

I got Box Office Mojo predicting that Boss Baby will be #2 with $32M 'Boss Baby' and 'Ghost in the Shell' Debut as 'Beauty and the Beast' Eyes Third Week at #1 - Box Office Mojo

21. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Please have a seat Mr. Vidiot, we need to talk.

[​IMG]

I don't get it either....

22. Oatsdad

Which makes it an animated movie. Just because the animals look photorealistic doesn't make it "live action"!

23. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Absolutely. It's amazing how much more creative and adventurous episodic television has become in comparison to the increasingly safe, stale movie industry. Television shows can afford to take the time to develop compelling milieus and three dimensional characters whereas movies are more about immediate thrills and special effects these days, endlessly recycling proven "brands" rather than taking chances.

Vidiot and Deesky like this.
  24. Vidiot

I'm sure Disney will go out of they way to avoid saying "animated classic" but instead will say "cutting-edge photorealistic computer-generated imagery" or some such BS.

Totally. I've been blown away by the edgy, risky TV series being done over the last 10 years. There's been some astonishing stuff -- not all of it necessarily violent or sexual or intense. Mad Men is a show I often use as an example, because on the surface it doesn't seem to be a very mass-market idea: a bunch of neurotic, ambitious ad-agency people competing against each other in the dog-eat-dog world of Madison Avenue. But it was a really compelling, interesting show all the way to the end. Very little violence, very little sex. (Well, there was the guy who got his foot mowed off in the lobby, but that was just one time.)

And yet Variety says:

“Boss Baby’s” projected opening weekend total now stands above previous expectations at over $50 million. “Beauty” will also continue its fantastical run, and should land in the $45 to $50 million range.

Box Office: ‘Boss Baby’ Dethrones ‘Beauty and the Beast’ on Friday With $15.5 Million

This wouldn't be the first time even the experts didn't agree on what was going to happen.

Tristero likes this.
  25. Vidiot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.