Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson 2016/2017 Digital Remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tlake6659, Mar 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member Thread Starter

Looks like Steven Wilson is re-releasing some of his back catalog in anti-loudness remasters.

I know he released a vinyl set, but this thread will focus on the digital remasters.

Available via Download on Pro Studio Masters:

Staircase Infinities
    Up the Downstair
    Voyage 34

Per DR Database available via download on QOBUZ:
    Coma Divine

Available on CD and HD Download:

Insurgentes

Available on CD or coming soon per Burning Shed:

Stars Die
    Signify
    On the Sunday of Life
    Fear of a Blank Planet

Currently Missing:
    The Sky Moves Sideways (I assume this will be coming out eventionally)
    Stupid Dream (the remix/remaster was somewhat compressed, hopefully Wilson will redo it but not sure)
    Lightbulb Sun (the remix/remaster sounds pretty good already, unsure if will be redone)
    In Absentia (Steven wants to redo it but locked up in label hell)
    Deadwing (Steven wants to redo it but locked up in label hell)
    The Incident (could be better, hopefully he will redo it. Original CD was mastered by Jon Astley and isn't horrible dynamics wise but could be better)

Anything corrections or additions appreciated or links to CD releases that I currently only see available as downloads.

Also please comment on comparisons to previous masterings. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    seasonsinthesky and hvbias like this.
  2. tlake6659

I have the 2016 remaster of Insurgentes and the stereo mix sounds much better to me than the original CD/DVD-A.

FVDnz, Plan9, seasonsinthesky and 2 others like this.
  3. tlake6659

Even though the new remasters are anti-loudness looks like the original CD releases of On the Sunday of Life and Signify are more dynamic than the new remasters at least per the DR Database. Any comparisons to members who have heard them would be great.

hvbias likes this.
  4. tlake6659

Finally are the new remasters of some of the titles like Up the Downstair the remix with Gavin Harrison drums or the original mix?

5. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

us.7digital.com also has the Coma Divine (remaster) along with Signify (remaster) both with a November 2016 release date.

Both in 16/44.1

6. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

+1
    This is a good question

7. tlake6659

Thanks, anyone know if the CD releases on Amazon with a release date of late Jan/early Feb 2017 are the anti-loudness remasters?

8. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

You know you have 30 minutes to edit a post, right ?

Robert C and Jimmy Agates like this.
  9. Jim N.

Jim N. Just another day in what was once Paradise...

I picked up the "anti-loudness" remaster of "Signify" from Burning Shed a few weeks back. If I get some time I'll compare it to the original, which was my preferred version. There was a re-release of "Lightbulb Sun" available too but it was not listed anywhere as an anti-loudness remaster.

10. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

DaverJ likes this.
  11. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Not sure if I can justify another copy of FOABP. I've read that there is distortion on the original 2007 vinyl release but I struggle to find it.
    Appreciate if someone can pinpoint the song and timing for me if you happen know its location.

Preston likes this.
  12. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Sibilance on vocals, throughout the album.

seasonsinthesky likes this.
  13. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

Almost certainly the Harrison versions. Steven very much did not care for the fake drums on Up the Downstair.

14. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

I bought the remastered CD. I only have the original CD and the DVD.

15. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I have never heard this claim before.....I crank this vinyl pretty loud usually and never heard any distortion.

Preston and 24voltsdc like this.
  16. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Its the letter "s" in the vocals, heavy sibilance.

17. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Can someone who has spent a fair amount of time with them give their take on the difference between original CDs vs. the two disc (in most cases) remasters that were put out in the '00s? I picked up the double disc remasters as and when they became available and dispensed with my originals without another thought as I was still living in my age of ignorance, so I have no frame of reference for changes made.

18. tlake6659

Up the Downstair - 2000 CD version is remixed with Gavin Harrison drums, more digitally compressed than the original CD. Both worth having.
    The Sky Moves Sideways - 2000 CD version is remixed with Gavin Harrison drums on some tracks, more digitally compressed than the original CD. Both worth having.
    Signify - More Compressed than the original CD, both have the same mix. I prefer the original CD.

Runicen and KDubATX like this.
  19. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

+) Signify 2CD version fixes the glitch that was on the original CD version of Dark Matter.
    2016 remaster also have this glitch fixed while retaining the DR of the original version.

To add, it seems like Steven is content with his latest Stupid Dream (2005 Remaster)/Lightbulb Sun (2007 Mix) remaster/remix/new 5.1ch mixes.
    So if you have Stupid Dream 2005 & Lightbulb Sun 2008 (with or without Transmission 8.1), I think as of now it's safe to assume you have the definitive versions of those two albums.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    Runicen likes this.
  20. seasonsinthesky

seasonsinthesky orphan coal, sleep, etc.

Pro Studio Masters only lists Staircase Infinities for me. Qobuz, meanwhile, has UTD and V34 – interestingly, UTD is indexed into 4 tracks (1-3 as the first, UTD alone as second, NBA-Small Fish as three, and BS/Fadeaway as 4) and these track times are listed as the same for the V34 phases. I assume this is data entry screwup territory but I wonder if the actual files are correct.

21. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

The 2005/2006 "Stupid Dream" is a remix.

22. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

Oh yes, a stupid mistake. 2005 Mix. I thought I typed '2005 Reissue'.

23. Solvethebox likes this.
  24. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

So, my CD arrived yesterday. Unfortunally, the CD was NOT remastered. So now I have two CDs with exactly the same mastering... :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.