Actors who played the same character in different (non-sequel, non-series) films

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Monosterio, Sep 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Good observation.
    I think this film is somewhat underrated. Surprised Marvel haven't used Taylor Kitsch character Remy LeBeau in any other X-Men related films. Great end credit scene.

2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Yeah, if you consider Marvel characters locked into one huge oevre of "sequels", then you proably shouldn't consider cameos in those after-credits teaser scenes, either. Which is too bad, because of Howard the Duck in his own 1986 film, then the quick cameo at the tail-end (see what I just did there?) of Guardians of the Galaxy.

And also...Stan Lee.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Stan Lee doesn't play the same "character" in each Marvel movie, though. I think he played himself in the 2006 (?) "Fantastic Four" sequel - the one where he tried to get into Reed/Sue's wedding - but I think he's played different characters in the others.

Not sure if he's played himself in flicks other than "FF: Silver Surfer" - can't remember!

4. Dillydipper

On the other hand, there's Jeannette Charles and Helen Mirren, both playing the Queen Mum in different films, even though one of Mirren's films was a TV movie.

She should get some sort of credit because she's also played Elizabeth II on stage...she's only one guest-rapper Kanye West song away from an EGOT!

(And, she's also portrayed Elizabeth I in a film, so...you could say she's played "the same Royal Bloodline" twice! :D )

5. Dillydipper

Well, imdb also credits him in the Thor sequel as, "Stan Lee". But then again, couldn't all those cameos be considered the same guy named "Stan Lee", who just heppened to bounce around in his career a lot? And most of them were in New York City, so it's not like he would have had to move when he was fired as a janitor, to take another gig as a museum guard.

And, you know all those characters look suspiciously similar...;)

6. Oatsdad

Since the "Dark World" Lee plays a resident of a retirement home, I think it's safe to say he doesn't play himself! :)

Yes, this is possible - but unlikely.

Only thing 100%? We're overthinking the subject! :D

7. Dillydipper

I thought we were discussing the subject. Under these circumstances, why would you want to downplay the "thinking" aspect...?

8. Coppertop Tester

Coppertop Tester Forum Resident

He also appears as the T-1000 in "The Last Action Hero", another Arnold film.

9. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

R. Lee Ermey as that Drill Sergeant in Full Metal Jacket and Peter Jackson's The Frighteners?!

10. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Ermey's done voice variations on that same character on The Simpsons and Spongebob Squarepants as well.

11. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

Bette Davis played Queen Elizabeth I in Warner Brothers 1938 "The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex". 17 years later she played her again in 20th Centyry Fox's "The Virgin Queen". In the second film Davis was closer to the real Elizabeth's actual age as it takes place some 20 years earlier.

12. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

He played himself in Mallrats.

13. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Also, last night, Stan Lee played an animated version of himself on a new episode of The Simpsons in the opening sequence.

14. lechiffre

lechiffre Forum Resident

Sean Connery as James Bond 007 in the EON films and "Never Say Never Again"

#loophole

15. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I thought of this as well. It isn't a sequel, it is a remake of Thunderball.

16. Zeroninety

Zeroninety Forum Resident

Ron Moody played Merlin in two different Disney adaptations of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court: Unidentified Flying Oddball (1979) and A Kid in King Arthur's Court (1995).

17. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

Unless I'm mistaken, John Hurt did a cameo of his "Alien" character in the movie "Spaceballs".

thgord likes this.
  18. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I agree. Their characters are the same, but the movies and the shorts have no connection to each other (each is essentially stand alone).

I don't know if this is allowed but I will mention it: Osamu Tezuka (whose most famous character is Astro Boy) would use his characters like actors and put the same characters in different roles in different movies and TV series. As an example, Astro Boy's teacher (Mr. Mustachio) also appears in the movie Metropolis as a private detective, and in Jungle Emperor Leo as a guide. Hamegg would also appear in many different roles, usually as a villain or at the least someone you should not trust. Likewise a character named Rock appeared in Astro Boy as a supporting character, and in Metropolis as a the son of the ruler of the city.

19. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

I miss 'Charters & Caldicott'. Someone should bring it back. My favourite scene:

2 elderly chaps dressed in their finery, relaxing with the Times in their Gentleman's Club. Both collapsed in enormous comfy chairs. The air is still. Silence except for the occasional turning of pages and the tick of an old clock. A table between them, a glass of port each. One speaks.

Charters: "Chap here says he's just heard the first cuckoo of Spring..."

Silence....

Caldicott: "..............But it's July....."

Silence....

Charters: "Letter's from Newcastle or somewhere. Probably took it that long to get through the grime....".

Silence...........

20. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

One could list actors who played the same historical character multiple times, such as Ford Rainey, who managed to play President Lincoln in four different productions:

- GUARDIAN OF THE WILDERNESS (1976)
    - CAPTAINS AND THE KINGS, "Episode III" (1976)
    - THE TIME TUNNEL, "The Death Trap" (1966)
    - NBC SUNDAY SHOWCASE, "Our American Heritage: Shadow Of A Soldier" (1960)

Several actors must have played FDR multiple times.

21. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Mark Metcalf, the guy who played Neidermeyer in Animal House, reprised his role a few times. He appeared in some Twisted Sister video short as Neidermeyer and in a few music videos as a Neidermeyer-like character. Also, he played "Colonel" Neidermeyer in a Tom Arnold movie from the '90s.

22. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Regarding historical figures... I don't think anyone has yet mentioned Ian Hart playing John Lennon in both Backbeat and The Hours And The Times. And Michael St. Gerard played Elvis in both Heart Of Dixie and Great Balls Of Fire.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  23. Oatsdad

Would anyone be interested in a thread about actors who played different roles in the same series/franchise?

24. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

Not films but TV shows- David Clennon played Miles Drentell in both thirtysomething and Once & Again.

25. Coppertop Tester

Coppertop Tester Forum Resident

I would, but I think the list would get out of control quickly if you counted all the character actors who played different guest roles in single episodes of long running series, especially up through the early 80s.

It might be more of challenge coming up with actors who played multiple roles in the same series with at least one of them being a regular part of the cast. For example, before Harry Morgan took over the role of Col. Potter on "M*A*S*H", he made a guest appearance as a crazy general.

Dugan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.