For Country Music Collectors, post your latest acquisitions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by baptistbusman, Apr 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

Google. I wouldn't be surprised if there were issues there...

Johnny Reb likes this.
  2. JeffHunt

JeffHunt Stray Cat Strutting

Big fan of this guy, and I consider him an acquaintance in this crazy industry. Well worth checking out his two albums, "Sunshine & Whiskey" and "El Rio", as well as his self-titled EP. Good mix of traditional sounding material and contemporary country.

Frankie Ballard - El Rio Video Series | Vol. I - "El Camino" »

3. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Johnny Duncan (3) - She Can Put Her Shoes Under My Bed (Anytime) »

The promo copy of this, with the mono mix as the B side:

[​IMG]

We were dining at Buster's Texas-Style Barbecue last week when this song came over their music system. My kids heard the lyrics as "Chicken Burger Shoes Under My Bed," and we all got a good laugh out of it. Going to surprise them this weekend by randomly playing it in between LPs, and see if they catch it :winkgrin:

McLover, The Killer and melstapler like this.
  4. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

Picked up this Hank Williams 78 at a record show a couple of weeks ago. I've always wanted to own a Hank 78.

[​IMG]

Svein Arne, Chris C, McLover and 4 others like this.
  5. After watching one of the latest Saturday Night Live atrocities, the one shinning moment was the guest music artist, Sturgill Simpson. I liked his performance and ordered all 3 of his vinyl albums.

lambfan68 likes this.
  6. Picked up this bands debut CD a couple of days ago. This tune is from that cd. Big House 1997

7. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Johnny Duncan is excellent. I got to see him a couple times in club settings before he perished in 2006. His death caught everyone by surprise, (especially in Texas), because he was fairly active and only in his 60s. About a year or two before this, Johnny had released a new studio album and there was also talk of a live album in the works. Sadly, many of Johnny's studio albums remain out of print and unavailable in any format. His material from the 1970s (beard) and 1960s (pre-beard) are my favorite eras.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Thanks for that info! Yeah, I was looking for some of his 70's albums on CD but it looks like they just don't exist. I just picked up the 45 of that song and will make a needle drop. Same thing I've had to do for some of Waylon's 60's albums.

melstapler likes this.
  9. melstapler

Definitely. We got very lucky with the two comprehensive Waylon Jennings box sets on Bear Family Records, although another user on this forum noted that Waylon wasn't fond of some of the earlier material being released. If you get a chance, checkout Duncan's album from 1986, "Faraway Hideaway." I believe that CD was a UK release, due to his large fanbase in their neck of the woods. His CD release from the 1990s was "Again," an album which I enjoyed even more than "Faraway Hideaway."
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Also, Johnny Duncan's estate have reissued "The Thing To Do," his last studio album from 2004 and it's available through his official website.
    The Official Website of Country Music Star, Johnny Duncan »

rxcory likes this.
  10. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Within the last couple months I picked up the Trio expanded reissue. (If you have the chance to hear more Emmylou, Linda and Dolly harmonies, you take it.)

I also bought the Marlin Greene cd Tiptoe Past the Dragon on the recommendation of a friend. Not really a "lost album", more like a forgotten one from 1972. Country-rock, singer/songwriter-type album. Enough "country" in there that I feel comfortable recommending it to folks in this thread. There are some beautiful songs there backed by the Swampers in Muscle Shoals. Greene himself was active on the MS scene as a songwriter, musician and engineer. (That's his guitar solo on Percy Sledge's "When a Man Loves a Woman", for instance.) I can't imagine it'll be in print much longer, and Amazon has it for a steal of a price of $5.

Marlin Greene - Tiptoe Past the Dragon - Amazon.com Music »

11. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Could anyone tell me if this collection is supposed to include a booklet? An Amazon review said it's supposed to come with a 20-page booklet, but neither of the two copies I've bought had one. It's the CD version for what it's worth.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    The Killer, melstapler and keyse1 like this.
  12. dalem5467

dalem5467 Forum Resident

13. melstapler

Definitely. Like you, I also have 2 copies of this 2CD and neither have a 20-page booklet. However, there are numerous titles (mostly 1CD releases on different labels) which use the title "Crazy Dreams" and I suspect one of those might have a deluxe booklet. Although this 2CD is considered to be the best available collection of Patsy's Four Star material, it's apparently missing some alternate versions. Fortunately, this 2CD set includes at least 1 version of each song and is very satisfying.

The Killer and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  14. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Opening day at the flea market was this past Sunday. Didn't find much, but at the bottom of a messy box of mostly bad '80s and '90s country CDs I found the first two Dixie Chicks CDs, for a dollar each!

melstapler likes this.
  15. melstapler

Good find! The first three Dixie Chicks albums with Laura Lynch Tull are considered collector's items and command large sums on the collector's market.

Culpa likes this.
  16. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Mine's got the booklet (smug), there's a brief write up, some photos and also session info; tracks, dates, location, musicians. It's nothing too fancy but nice to have and seeing as I paid £3.68 it should be included!

melstapler likes this.
  17. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

BTW, the Tennessee Ernie Ford Eight Classic Albums set I mentioned in another thread is my most recent country music purchase.

melstapler likes this.
  18. GodBlessTinyTim

Very odd that only one out of our five collective copies came with the booklet. I returned the first copy I bought, but think I'll hang on to this one. The set was reissued by Impact/Universal under the title 50 Golden Greats: The Early Years, but that version is just as hard to find at a decent price. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but do Crazy Dreams: The Four Star Years and Hip-O's two-disc complete Decca set give you every studio recording released in her lifetime?

melstapler likes this.
  19. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

From memory there are just over 100 studio recording over about 30 sessions, these two sets give you 101 tracks I think so not far off it. Check out the Patsy Cline thread gbtt because I believe that info would be there or certainly the experts to answer your queries.

melstapler and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  20. GodBlessTinyTim

Last week I got a compilation by Bennie Hess. What a character. A lifelong hustler, he would employ any exaggeration or outright fabrication which might help his records sell. To list a few, he:

-Re-recorded his song "Wild Hog Hop" after it became popular among collectors and and issued it in a picture sleeve proclaiming it to be the "Most Sought After Recording of the Entire World"
    -Got his seven-year-old son to record a song called "Please Don't Go Topless, Mother" billing him as the world's youngest country singer
    -Tried to get an audio engineer to edit an Elvis interview so it would sound as though Presley was crediting Hess for his success
    -Wrote and recorded "Blue Yodel #13 (Tennessee Mama Blues)" in 1976 and released it under the name of Jimmie Rodgers, claiming it was a long-lost recording made by Rodgers just days before his death

This insert from a 1958 single sums up his method of self-promotion nicely:

[​IMG]

Moral character and business practices nonwithstanding, he made some good music if you take it at face value.

21. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Got stiffed on an early Sunday morning record buy so I went free lancing and ran across a yard sale that had no records but one of their relatives did a mile down the road. Looked thru a few hundred in nice shape all still in shrink and clean. Got 9 Porter Wagoner 60's/70's RCA LP's,2 Hank Jr. as Luke The Drifter Jr. on MGM,a Loretta-Hymns on MCA,3 Vern Gosdin albums,Cowboy Copas on Starday, Flatt and Scruggs on Mercury,Charlie Louvin on Capitol,and a few mint unplayed 60's 45's by Tammy,George,Merle,Buck,Glen,etc. still in crispy clean sleeves, about 30 records altogether for one Alexander Hamilton. Found an old Blues 78 on the way home at a thrift.... Dog House Blues/Bad Condition by St. Louis Jimmy...:)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    zphage and Johnny Reb like this.
  22. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Got 14 M-, like new, LPs (4 box sets, 4ea LPs x 2 & 3ea LPs x 2) of various 'old' country, good stuff, major names, $4 @ the GW. :)

I love the GW & SA!!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    Johnny Reb likes this.
  23. GodBlessTinyTim

[​IMG]

Got this one the other day, what a great album. Bear Family and Ace Records have put out compilations of Jimmy Murphy's 50's and 60's singles, but this 1978 Sugar Hill album best showcases the breadth and scope of his talent. There's lightning-fast bluegrass picking, old-fashioned country blues, straightforward country lamentation, and a distinctly Appalachian cautionary tune espousing notions of morality most would consider archaic. Most of the songs are re-recordings of material he'd done for other labels, but he seems much more at ease this time around. Murphy's voice is deeper here than on his early RCA and Columbia recordings and sounds a good deal like Tom T. Hall. The HDCD reissue adds four bonus tracks, two live and two studio outtakes. This is one of those albums I'd recommend to any fan of classic country no matter which strand(s) they prefer.

Song samples:

https://www.amazon.com/Electricity-Jimmy-Murphy/dp/B00000I9E5

baptistbusman and zphage like this.
  24. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

Some old school

[​IMG]

500Homeruns and Johnny Reb like this.
  25. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.