Jaws on Home Video

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by svoegtlin, Apr 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. svoegtlin

svoegtlin Forum Resident Thread Starter

Jaws.. Perhaps the greatest of all summer blockbusters.. A film that I've personally watched and re-watched a million times. I noticed recently that I did not have it in my home video library.. In any format.

My question to you Hoffman-ites, which iteration of Jaws do you own? What's your favorite go-to home video version of Jaws (notice I didn't say best looking or sounding)?

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

3. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

If you have blu-ray, go blu. Its not bad on Dvd, but the blu's are cheap anyway. I don't believe any of the blu-ray iterations have different masterings iirc.

4. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

The blu-ray is perfect. Ironically I just watched it again for the first time in a couple years last night.

Previous to that I had the DTS-DVD version, the one that didn't have the mono soundtrack as an option. It was good at the time but the blu-ray is a great improvement.

MikaelaArsenault and audiomixer like this.
  5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I probably had it on VHS tape, though taped off the TV. Then I had the DVD for years. I sold my DVD when the new blu-ray came out. It looks absolutely fantastic now. I also have it on the VUDU so I can stream it whenever I get the urge, which is like once a week. I never tire of it.

I finally got the "Tales From Martha's Vineyard" book for Christmas. What an amazing document. A must own for any fan.

I also have the Funko Jaws action figures. And both versions of the shark (with and without bloody Quint).

It's no wonder Cape Cod is my vacation spot of choice. "Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies....."

6. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I see from your review the extras are included.......plus a few more.
    They are quite good.
    Is it a 1 disc version as opposed to the 2 DVD's?

7. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Blu-ray--hands down the winner.

audiomixer and driverdrummer like this.
  8. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Blu-ray looks wonderful.

9. Oatsdad

Yup! The reviewed copy included a DVD as well, but the current one-disc version replicates the Blu-ray from that set.

AFAIK, there's only one BD release of the film...

10. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

My favorite movie of all time,can't it looking any better than the Blu ray.I also got the Tales from Martha's vineyard book when it came out but I splurged for the edition that has a chunk of the Orca in it.

11. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Jaws got a big restoration before the blu-ray release. It looks and sounds wonderful.

I'm sure that @Vidiot can fill in with some details but I think Jaws was shot on a less than stellar film stock, making it a bit soft and lacking some detail/sharpness?

supermd, driverdrummer and svoegtlin like this.
  12. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Eastman 5254 stock; I found that on IMDb. ("IMDb: what you do instead of things!")

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, just the normal Kodak 5254 negative I believe from that era, like hundreds and hundreds of other 1970s films. The style of that decade was to use a lot of diffusion -- Superman and the first Star Wars film have a ton of that -- but it was a deliberate choice by the filmmakers. The most-recent Blu-ray remaster did use 4K scans of the original camera negative, and they did a ton of restoration work on it. I don't agree with all the decisions made: I think some of the night shots are too bright. But Spielberg very definitely supervised and approved the look, and it was all done on the Universal lot by Universal Digital Video Services (about 4 blocks down the road from Spielberg's HQ).

14. svoegtlin

svoegtlin Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is there any reason to get a legacy format like LD or Betamax? Regardless of format, it seems pretty cheap to purchase multiple editions.. I would consider a double dip if there was a decent reason to.

15. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

My favorite is the big CAV Laserdisc set for the pcm mono, the origin of the wonderful long making of doc, and the bundled CD and novel.

I agree that there are a few shots on the BD I don't quite agree with but the new scan is leaps and bounds ahead of what was previously available.

budwhite and npgchris like this.
  16. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

17. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

JeffreyB, D-rock and peopleareleaving like this.
  18. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

It does look incredible ! Thanks

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The new 5.1 mix has some revisions compared to the original mono. I can't remember if they provide the original 1975 theatrical mono mix or not.

20. Oatsdad

The Blu-ray includes a mono mix, but I can't say definitively if it's exactly the same mono audio that accompanied the film in 1975...

Vidiot likes this.
  21. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

It is and it's pretty damn good, same with Star Wars and The Terminator mono mixes

22. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Dare I say it, but Jaws 2 also looks terrific on BD. Yes, yes - I know it absolutely pales in comparison to the original, but at its best it's campy fun with a few genuine jump scares along the way. And, unlike some other catalogue titles, the highly entertaining extras (ported over from previous home video releases) happily never pretend the film is anything more than a largely routine, albeit serviceable, sequel.

I haven't picked up Jaws 3D or Jaws: The Revenge on BD, but that's more due to laziness than actively disliking those films (and we all know there's certainly a lot to dislike about them). Instead, I've been on the lookout for any period Jaws rip-off titles that have made it to BD - such as Tintorera, Devouring Waves , Tentacles, Grizzly, Orca, etc. Anyone know if they have?

D-rock likes this.
  23. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

I got the Blu-ray digibook, class A package all the way!

jsayers and The Hud like this.
  24. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

The BD has the mono mix but it may have been EQd or overscrubbed as the laserdisc sounds better to my ears.
    A great mix of a great film and I absolutely despise the 5.1 remix. The 7.1 is at least more tastefully done but completely unnecessary.

crissrudd4554 likes this.
  25. Oatsdad

I was disappointed by the "Jaws 2" transfer - it didn't get much clean-up work, so it comes with too many print flaws:

Jaws 2 [Blu-Ray] (1978)

Still a "B-" considering its age, but not a great transfer.

The movie itself remains a nostalgic favorite. I saw it before I saw the original, all due to age: I was 8 in 1975 and just a little too young for it.

I LOVED "J2" in 1978 and still thought it was the best of the bunch even when I saw "Jaws" in 1979. "J2" had more action, and that appealed to me as a kid.

Of course, I eventually realized how much better the story, characters and general filmmaking of "Jaws" were. I can still enjoy "J2" as a reminder of my yoot, but it's not really much of a movie...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.