The Beatles 'Magical Mystery Tour' Super Deluxe Speculative Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Apr 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi all!

Inspired by this thread
    The Beatles: S/T "The White Album" Super Deluxe Speculative Box.

The recent news about Sgt Pepper has opened up the possibility of other large scale explorations of various Beatles albums. What material could/should a 'Magical Mystery Tour' box include?

IMHO, there're stronger songs on 'Magical' than 'Pepper'. And we're still several months away from December 2017. So, there's enough time to prepare a wonderful box. The original songs on the LP remixed in stereo and 5.1 alone are worth doing a box.

Roll up
    Satisfaction guaranteed

2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Seems unlikely to be in the works given that
    a. They didn't save Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields for th as t and
    b. They recently released a 5.1 mix of the film including a special edition box.

3. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

4. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

5. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

Not sure about everything that should be included, but it gotta at least have a blu-ray of the movie.

6. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

I don't see this happening either: With SFF/PL covered in the Pepper box, there is little material left. There are already Hi-res stereo and 5.1 of all the songs in the MMT Blu-ray and 1+, and some out takes (two Fool on the Hill, I Am the Walrus, Hello Goodbye, YMSK...) in Anthology 2. Moreover, it isn't even a Beatles album in the sense that they didn't set out to make an album out of MMT.

Maybe if they do a two-fer with Yellow Submarine (as someone suggested in the Pepper thread)...

lou and AudiophilePhil like this.
  7. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Lets see Soundtrack in Mono new stereo and 5.1 mixes
    Film remastered in Hi Def and for hisorical reference also in 405 line black and white as broadcast Christmas 67.

8. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

I feel like there have to be more unseen still shots and unused film footage out there, from the "I Am The Walrus" video shoot. I'd also like to hear a Giles Martin remix of "I Am The Walrus" that doesn't turn into fake stereo halfway in, even if it means they have to lose the play dialogue....maybe they could de-mix the play dialogue out of the original and re-insert it in a full stereo mix? I'm giving myself a headache just thinking about it, but I suppose it could be done someday....It never bothered me as a kid, but nowadays I can't un-hear it, I always get kind of deflated and let down, when the drooping cellos and killer drum sound turns kind mushy, halfway through. The drums are why I play the Anthology version of "Walrus" more than the regular one these days.

9. A well respected man

You have a mix like that (made by Giles) in "Love" and the MMT Blu-ray/DVD

Lewisboogie and Plan9 like this.
  10. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

If incorporated with Yellow Submarine, this could be a good companion to Sgt Pepper and include the majority of the psychedelic tracks and everything that was recorded in 1967. Personally I would sneak in the Lady Madonna single too, so that The Inner Light could be part of the package.
    I know there was a MMT box, but that mostly consisted of the movie, with just the vinyl EP. This could explore the genesis of each track and include a standalone 5.1 mix with no dialogue or sound effects from the film.

Beatle Ed, Haristar and vince like this.
  11. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I'd love 42 takes of 'Blue Jay Way'!

giantleech, MitchLT, Dog Ear and 5 others like this.
  12. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

...woud you like fries with that?

Benno123, The Beave, jl151080 and 3 others like this.
  13. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I see this getting a stand alone 5.1 dvd/blu for the album with some extras but since there was already a box for the film I don't see another box just for the soundtrack.

14. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

SFF and PL aren't on the 50th anniversary single or double discs of Pepper so having them on a 50th MMT is not redundant.

lennon_08518 and theMess like this.
  15. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

There are on the 2cd edition, but I agree.
    It's like Good Vibrations being a part of both Pet Sounds and Smile boxes.

Lewisboogie and theMess like this.
  16. A well respected man

Not gonna happen. The broadcast in b/w was not what the Beatles wanted, they made the film in color and the BBC blew it by showing it in b/w. In fact, it's often one of the reasons given for the critical failure of the film. Moreover: -Who would want to see MMT in b/w? It's a little hard to make it through the whole thing in colour already. -If you want to see it in b/w, you only have to set the colour of your TV set to 0.

17. A well respected man

They are on the 2 CD version.

Edit: sorry, I didn't see someone had already answered this.

18. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

Taken from a recording chronology found online:

670213 Only a Northern Song [Harrison] [out-take; (bass & guitar added 20 April); A 2-2-7]
    670213 Only a Northern Song [Harrison] [used in film Yellow Submarine 17 July 1968, and LP 17 Jan 1969]
    670425 Magical Mystery Tour [McCartney; vocals John & Paul]
    670511 Baby You're a Rich Man [Lennon/McCartney] [not used in film or LP; B-side All You Need I Love]
    670512 All Together Now [McCartney; vocals John/Paul/Harrison/Starkey]
    670517 You Know My Name (Look up the Number) [out-take; mono version; B-side Let It Be, 6 March 1970]
    670525 It's All Too Much [Harrison] [originally over 8 minutes; LP version has one verse less than film version]
    670614 All You Need Is Love [Lennon/McCartney] [single 7 July 1967]
    670625 All You Need Is Love (live) [Lennon/McCartney] [performed live in TV to 400 million viewers]
    670822 Your Mother Should Know [McCartney]
    670905 I Am the Walrus [Lennon] [take 16 (the basic track); A 2-2-14]
    670905 I Am the Walrus [Lennon]
    670906 The Fool on the Hill (demo) [McCartney] [A 2-2-15]
    670906 Blue Jay Way [Harrison]
    670908 Flying [Harrison/Lennon/McCartney/Starkey] [originally 9.31 long]
    670916 Your Mother Should Know [McCartney] [take 27; new version; A 2-2-16]
    670925 The Fool on the Hill [McCartney] [take 4; A 2-2-17]
    670926 The Fool on the Hill [McCartney] [90 last seconds from the original film version edited out on LP version]
    6709 Jessie’s Dream [Beatles] [home recording for the gluttony scene in the movie]
    671002 Hello Goodbye [McCartney] [take 16; A 2-2-18]
    671002 Hello Goodbye [McCartney]
    671012 Shirley’s Wild Accordion [Lennon/McCartney] [unreleased; only used briefly in movie]
    671128 Christmas Time (Is Here Again) [on CDM Free As a Bird]
    680112 The Inner Light [Harrison] [B-side Lady Madonna; not on LP]
    680203 Lady Madonna [McCartney] [single 15 March 1968; not on LP]
    680203 Lady Madonna [McCartney] [unique remix of several takes; A 2-2-19]
    680203 Across the Universe [Lennon] [take 2; A 2-2-20]
    680204 Across the Universe [Lennon] [intended as a single; released on World Wildlife Fund's LP 12 Dec 1969]
    680211 Hey, Bulldog [Lennon] [recorded for Yellow Submarine; on LP and in UK film]

19. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

I think perhaps we should begin thinking about what might end up on a new fangled version of Anthology. I believe that's where we'll see projects that are maybe considered undeserving of Deluxe Edition treatment - (MMT, YS).

20. GLYNSTYLER

GLYNSTYLER Forum Resident

I would love to have the MMT album in high-rez (stereo/mono/5.1) like we're getting Pepper. As it is, I have to use "Scene Selection" to jump to each song in the movie, which is a drag.

21. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Well that's good but the video makes it appear they weren't

22. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Let's not forget any of the X-mas Record ('67) stuff....
    There might be some hilarious out-takes from THAT...

23. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

A more sensible project would be the "Rubber Soul" deluxe box set with the inclusion of "Day Tripper" and "We Can Work It Out."
    Then a "Revolver" deluxe box with the inclusion of "Paperback Writer" and "Rain."

24. A well respected man

Yes, please! Rubber Soul and Revolver are my favourite albums, and the ones that are more in need of a proper stereo remix.

longdist01, Plan9 and AudiophilePhil like this.
  25. I'll take all of the above, and more. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.