The Beatles Please Please Me album appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Beatles Fan 1999, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

I couldn't have expressed it better than you, "When in Rome". I love how McCartney goes through those lines in A Taste of Honey.

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I got Please Please Me on CD along with Anthology 1 for Christmas in 1995. I'd never heard the album before but loved it from the first song. :) What a way to start a career on a major label!

3. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I'm partial to their middle period 65-67 but I gave PPM (mono) a spin the other day and I was pleasantly surprised what a great album it is. Then I listened to the stereo The Early Beatles. Great album as well (albeit incomplete).

4. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

The Early Beatles should have placed emphasis on the original material- "There's A Place" and "Misery" definitely should have been on there in place of a couple of the lesser covers.
    I find if I crank up the 2009 stereo or mono versions, it sounds like The Beatles are playing right there in the room. No bells and whistles, no production jiggery pokery- just two guitars, bass, drums and voices giving it all they had.

Keith V and David Austin like this.
  5. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

>>>Yes, it would have!! Imagine "Hands" and 'Soldier" on the PPM Lp instead of "Honey" and "Baby its You". Its a better , stronger album.

ajsmith and mc7t like this.
  6. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

The middle eight of Ask Me Why is the hook for me. Great song.

7. Dream #9

Dream #9 Well-Known Member

(Top 5 tracks)
    There's a Place
    A Taste of Honey
    P.S. I Love You
    Please Please Me
    Do You Want to Know a Secret

8. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

Let me disagree with that. Those changes would have made a weaker album. A taste of honey and Baby it's you are stellar moments in this excellent album. Even considering that Hands is quite good and Soldier even better. We do not know of course if they would have improved the versions of these 2 titles which is very possible.

9. stereoguy

Well, I totally disagree with you that "A Taste of Honey" is a "stellar moment". Its a "Stinky" moment, is what it is.

EricSwan, qm1ceveb and ohnothimagen like this.
  10. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Well, it's all subjective, innit? A Taste of Honey is almost as cheesy as Mr. Moonlight, and while I find the latter (not so) borderline annoying, I find the former to be a fine performance.

What's still subjective but less arguable is that Lennon's vocal on Twist and Shout, the product of a full day's recording, is ragged, ratty, and absolutely perfect.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    Aftermath likes this.
  11. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Absolutely love George's vocal on "Do You Want To Know A Secret".

goodiesguy and marcb like this.
  12. stereoguy

I've always found it to be flat in many places and way too nasal to be enjoyable.

Diamond Star Halo likes this.
  13. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

The thing that is appealing to me is that it captures The Beatles at an innocent stage of their career. Before Beatlemania and all when the guys were just happy to be with each other and recording an album.

The songs are mostly great. "There's A Place" is an underrated gem. Ringo rocks on "Boys". And I also like the much maligned "P.S I Love You". An excellent debut

14. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

Love "A Taste of Honey." I remember laughing aloud as a child at the end when Paul sings "but I'll be back" and John and George sarcastically answer "he'll be back..." I still think it's funny.

Archtop likes this.
  15. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

It's the earliest "moment" of George in my life from hearing it back in '63 at age 6 to being a first and foremost George fan to this day...at age 60. So flat or nasal, I still love his voice.

MsMaclen likes this.
  16. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I can just imagine John and George rolling their eyes singing that line (particularly John). They do a good job of the song, but I bet there was a bit of grumbling behind the scenes about actually including it on the album.
    George's youth comes shining through in the "Do You Want To Know A Secret" vocal.

17. stereoguy

Neil, I know what you mean, but I'm 99.9 % certain that they werent trying to be sarcastic. they were just singing what seemed to fit the song at the time.

nikh33 and Diamond Star Halo like this.
  18. stereoguy

I understand that completely....so enjoy!

19. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

That would have been a great interview question: "John, George, when you sang 'he'll be back' at the end of "A Taste of Honey," did you really mean it? Or were you just being sarcastic?"

20. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

They seemed to be OK with it as late as October 63

Kim Olesen likes this.
  21. stereoguy

Again, I dont think they were "rolling their eyes" at anything. They didnt play any song they didnt WANT to play. Brian Epstein didnt tell them what to play, and George Martin's edict was limited to the studio. Live, they did what they wanted. Like for instance, they played almost zero instrumentals in their career. They had issues with The Shadows act, with the syncronized footwork and swinging of the guitars in unison, and went out of their way NOT to be like them.

22. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Great album and still much played by myself - either mono or stereo I enjoy both. Shame it would appear to have missed out on an official deluxe.

23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Flaming Torch likes this.
  24. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

I've always wished that the Beatles had recorded a studio version of Some Other Guy. To me, that is one of their best covers - it is iconic - and I cannot even begin to fathom why they would record something like Chains instead of it.

goodiesguy likes this.
  25. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thank goodness the BBC existed although many lost marks for getting rid of or losing Bob Dylan's solo 1965 performance.

goodiesguy and Diamond Star Halo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.