Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary editions to be released May 26, 2017* Anticipation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JOSERENATO, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rednax

rednax Forum Resident

I think there will absolutely be a similar 'White Album' deluxe box next year.

Mr. Explorer and Shaddam IV like this.
  2. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

It's not like I play it every week or so anyway, but I won't be listening to Sgt.
    Pepper
    now until I receive my deluxe set.

On the other hand, one poster a few days ago was going deep into Pepper playing it and rereading George Martins book, etc., due to the forthcoming release (releases)

So, do you folks avoid listening to it in the meantime or revisit Pepper in depth preparing for May 26th?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  3. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I was a little disappointed myself with how Giles held back a bit with the King Lear tape. How fortunate that a tape exists to make the impossible remix possible, so why not go all the way? I need to hear that "bless you" at the end! And how about some real AM radio tuning static?

I'm totally nitpicking, but it would be nice to hear a second try of this one.

On the postive side, I like that "Love" preserved the count-in that wasn't part of any previous version. It was really cool hearing that the first time.

4. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

As a whole yes. But then again i rarely listen to Pepper as a whole anymore.

5. rednax

rednax Forum Resident

Are there any tracks on the "Sessions" discs that haven't already been bootlegged?

It's been awhile since I've dug into my Beatle boots but I know I have the 'Artifacts' and 'Ultra Rare Trax' sets and something like 4-5 discs of Pepper sessions/out takes.

6. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I miss the static too. Without that late night feel of flickering the tuning dial across the radio spectrum is lost. I guess that is why the original stereo will always be my go to version. The static and second half fake stereo with the two channels panning across the stereo field at the end is just so otherworldly. It is like you are transformed into a parallel dimension from the middle of the song and to the end.

7. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

I won't be listening to Pepper until May 26th to keep my appreciation fresh.

I also do that with great movies saving them for special occasions as if it were some kind of an event, which in my mind, it is. :)

8. AJT

AJT New Member

Mr. Explorer, Mal and theMess like this.
  9. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Starting a few days before the release, I'll probably go through my "Ultimate Beatles Playlist" from the beginning, starting with those earliest recording on Anthology 1, and working my way through to Revolver taking in all albums/singles Live At The BBC and Anthology tracks chronologically along the way.

When the new box arrives I'll then go through the sessions discs, on to the mono version of the album, finishing with the new remix.

10. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Abbey Road... Unpaved

11. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The original UK double-EP came out in both mono and stereo (and yes, the box's EPs contain the mono mix). And even there the title track contains Paul's spoken intro.

theMess and Kim Olesen like this.
  12. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I'm sure enough tapes exist for a terrific White Album box. But that doesn't mean, or imply, that Apple intends to release one. If they put one out, I'll happily buy it, but without affirmative evidence that such a thing is planned, I'm not going to make a space on my shelf for it.

Mr. Explorer, theMess and wwright like this.
  13. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

In that case, Revolver should fit to the 'studio years' as well. The Fabs never performed any song off this album.^^

14. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Seems to be some confusion about which version is being discussed:
    • Magical Mystery Tour was released in 1967 as a double EP in mono (Parlophone MMT-1) and stereo (SMMT-1).
    • The 1981 vinyl EP Collection box (Parlophone BEP 14) included only the stereo version, although the CD version of this box included both mono and stereo versions.
    • The 2012 vinyl EP in the MMT deluxe box is mono.

15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I'm not sure. It may be just the way that the listing is worded. But maybe I missed something.

theMess likes this.
  16. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

As I can say is my appreciation for Pepper has grown since I first listened in earnest in 1987.
    Playing it as the "greatest album of all-time" back then was a let down.
    Now that it's taken a few hits----that Aimee Mann NYT article dismissing it, the recent article by Greg Cot calling it "quaint" compared to the Velvets-----those high-profile re-assessments miss the mark and are emblematic of some sort of "over-correction" in some circles that gives Pepper the short-shrift. I do agree that song-per-song, Revolver is stronger but Pepper is damn near equal.

Mr. Explorer and theMess like this.
  17. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Actually it's nice to have one album to focus on. The other day I listened to all the Anthology Pepper stuff. Then the Rock Band mixes from the "album".
    Next I'm gonna sift through the Ultra Rare Trax Pepper stuff.
    I'll probably give the mono and Stereo mix a listen or two then I'll be ready to be enchanted with the new set (I'll probably just get the 2 CD version).
    Then the Alternate Sgt. Pepper "import".
    I also dug out my Making of Doc on VHS. I hope it still plays.
    I've got George Martin's book too.
    So in answer to your question, I won't avoid listening to Pepper, as a matter of fact, I'm sort of having a Pre-Pepper Party.

18. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I've been listening to Pepper era tracks from Unsurpassed Masters.
    :hide:

19. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

In preparation, I plan on listening to "How Do You Sleep" every day until May 26th. ... ;)

20. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Here's a different version of the question: How will you listen to the remixes the first time? Vinyl, CD, or bluray? Loudspeakers or headphones? Alone, or with company? Weighty decisions!!

theMess and Keith V like this.
  21. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I'm not claiming they were holding back tracks in 1995. IAs you mention there was a limited amount of space on Anthology. I''m not sure why they'd care in 1995 about what technologies would be available 22 years later in 2017 for the 50th anniversary. I'd venture that they also don't care right now what technologies would be available in say, 2039 (22 years from now).

The assumption here seems to be that everything that could be released is being released on this new set (not really counting "Carnival of Light" because I don't think all the Beatles [or their estates] want it released). I don't share that opinion, but I will also admit I have no proof for any other conclusion.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  22. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

No, the Four Seasons had previously released some singles as The Wonder Who, and Chad Allan and the Expressions credited a record to "Guess Who?" - an alias they ended up adopting full time.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  23. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Depends where I am, hopefully at home and I'll go with the blu-ray. The sessions might have to be through headphones at work, not ideal but might not have the patience to wait until I'm home!

24. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

I'm taking mine to my local Hi-fi store and we're gonna sample them on the their various set ups. I think they should plan a Pepper listening event but I'm happy they are gonna indulge me.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  25. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Maybe in the car on the way home from whatever store I find it in. If not, probably through headphones at home.

Mr. Explorer and Wingsfan2012 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.