What's going on with Popmarket online store?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by telepicker97, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Audionerd

Audionerd Forum Resident

Yep, their bankruptcy case was finalized yesterday, and the website then disappeared. Hopefully most of you paid with credit cards.

They were initially owned by Sony, then spun off, which it seems when things really went downhill on the business side.

2. zephyr25

zephyr25 Forum Resident

Hope everyone got their money back; very shady business practices particularly towards the end. Don't know if others remember that their last days offer was for those expensive Zeppelin deluxe box sets, seems know they were trying to get a big influx of cash right at the end.

Cake and tmtomh like this.
  3. Audionerd

Audionerd Forum Resident

I didn't know that. Pretty sleazy if that's the case. Their minimal effort at customer service (and a "coming soon" webpage) for the following 5-6 weeks was enough to hold customers off from requesting refunds. Now too late for many of them.

Of course, they could come roaring back tomorrow and make good on everything. Yeah, that's the ticket.

4. mtatmba

mtatmba Forum Resident

Pop Market re-opening announcement to follow J&R's exciting updates!

From April 10, 2014:
    Thanks to our customers, staff, neighbors, and vendors for what has been an incredible 43 years and helping make J&R Music and Computer World the legendary iconic store that makes us so proud. Stay tuned for exciting updates...

Any day now.... still holding my breath....theee years and counting...

5. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

Has anyone had Paypal payment returned via a successful escalation yet? I escalated my dispute earlier this week and haven't heard anything yet. I had pre-ordered the Peter Gabriel US/UP 33RPM bundle in late January and paid with Paypal funds.

6. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Yes, it took a couple weeks but Paypal refunded my money.

kozy814 and Sparkler like this.
  7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

If the site is bankrupt and no longer in operation, you should EASILY be able to win any case regarding non-delivery. PayPal lets you dispute up to 6 months after purchase. Credit cards vary, but many also let you dispute up to 6 months.

tmtomh likes this.
  8. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Very good point. I wonder, though, if PayPal cannot recover the funds from Popmarket (because presumably they are frozen in bankruptcy, and PayPal isn't even a creditor here - the consumer is) - then will they still refund the money to the buyer? Or will they rule in the buyer's favor but not actually process the refund unless or until they get the money from Popmarket?

9. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

DirectToU has aquired all the assets of Popmarket. They are the company behind Deepdiscount.com(whom I personally love) and Collector's Choice Music. Supposedly they are to start shipping preorders next week...we shall see.

Dave and tmtomh like this.
  10. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

More info:

Hey Everyone,

DirectToU, the company behind Collectors' Choice Music and Vinyl, Critics' Choice Video and DeepDiscount.com, has just acquired the assets of PopMarket. We are very excited to continue the work that PopMarket has done over the years to expand the knowledge and availability of great music.

Right now we are loading in the unfilled PopMarket orders with the goal of shipping these out early next week. We will be in touch soon after with any customer that has an order that we are not able to fill.

Thank you for your continued patience. We can not wait to show you all the new stuff we have to offer and look forward to earning your continued support.

Dave and tmtomh like this.
  11. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

I applied for a fraudulent charge on my VISA already because I didn't see this coming. Already ordered the new Dylan from Amazon assuming PM was out of business and my order would never come. S0, if anyone figures out how to contact the new owners and cancel an order please let me know. I sent a message through Facebook with no reply and also tried calling Deep Discount customer service who were clueless. Thanks.

Audionerd likes this.
  12. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

This is exactly my scenario too. Just got an email from Amazon.uk that my Dylan Deluxe set is shipping from them soon. Wonder if I'll end up with two copies? I'm still skeptical about getting anything from PopMarket (or whomever) at this point though.

13. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

Latest nightmare from Popmarket: I ordered the Beatles BBC disc box from them in November. When I didn't receive my order I contacted them and they told me they were trying to straighten out some issues and that they intended to ship the order soon. But they said I could cancel the order if I wanted. They seemed like they were really trying to fix a problem so I said okay. Another month went by and no order received so I wrote to customer service and told them to cancel the order. Then I purchased that title at another vendor.

Today a UPS truck pulls up and there's a package from Popmarket. Uh oh. I opened it and of course it is the Beatles BBC box. I called the customer service number and was immediately connected to a recording telling me about some health care related product. I had to listen to that twice through then I got connected to a real person (clearly an Indian guy in a big room with a lot of other "customer service" reps on phones all talking at once). I ask him if this is Popmarket and he refuses to say yes or no. I tell him I want to return an item and he tells me that all of the return representatives are busy and so I was connected with the promotion department.

I tell him, "Please connect me with the return department" and he tells me that he can do that but first I have to give him my name and address so they can send me a $100 gift card I can use at any of a number of large retailers (Walmart among them). When I told him I really did not want the gift card he says he cannot connect me to returns until I give him the information he requests so that he can send this gift card!

That was pretty outrageous so I hung up. Then I went to the website (miraculously functioning on a minimal level) and the "Contact Us" link. I fill in name, order number, email address and my brief message telling them what has transpired and I am requesting a Return Authorization number (required for all returns) and click "send" and I get another tab saying "Tell us you're not a bot" (or similar). Of course there is no anti-bot link, no way to read anything and tell them what you are reading so you are not a bot, nothing. I hit "send" again and the same thing happens. And again. And Again. I look things over to make sure I am not missing anything and then I go through the whole process again just to be sure. No go.

This is the worst online transaction I have done with any company that represents itself as a legitimate business. It's an absolute joke. I suggest that you are taking multiple risks by trying to do business with this company.

14. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Ugh, that sucks - sorry you have to deal with this. Perhaps you might try contacting your credit card company? If you send them a copy of your email requesting order cancellation, as well as a screen shot of the non-functioning "bot check" page on their web site, along with a brief account of your crazy phone call attempts - and perhaps an online news notice of Popmarket going into bankruptcy - it's possible your credit card company might reverse the charge and then go after PopMarket themselves.

15. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

Paypal came thru for me. I preordered the Paul McC. Flowers In The Dirt LP and paypal refunded me after I filed a complaint a couple of weeks ago

tmtomh likes this.
  16. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

Yeah, I was definitely going to do that. I use CapitalOne and their customer service has always been fantastic for me having retrieved my money in a few similar situations over the years. I had already gone to my account page on the Popmarket website (which seems to be functioning normally, thankfully) to see the day they listed the order and the precise amount. Then I went through my statements and then went to the CapitalOne website to check all charges up to the moment and to date they have not charged my card. I just went to my PayPal account to check and there is no charge there either.

More indication of how messed up their operation is is that there is no listed date on the day of original order (back in November I believe). Instead the date listed was Feb 1, which, if anything, was around the time I went to their "Contact Us" page to cancel the order (no anti-bot anything in evidence at that time either). The amount was listed alongside as $7 more than the advertised price to which I had originally responded. And of course I didn't receive the item until April 7th--close to five months after I originally ordered it and more than two months after the date listed on the account page.

I knew it was a half-baked operation before but this last revelation really takes the cake. I will keep my eye on both my PayPal account and my CapitalOne account but for the moment it seems that I own two copies of the Beatles BBC box, one of them sealed.

tmtomh likes this.
  17. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

My Paypal dispute has been resolved. I got my money back.

tmtomh likes this.
  18. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

Just got my money back as well. :goodie:

tmtomh likes this.
  19. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

A credit from PopMarket dated February 1 appeared on my credit card statement for the amount of my order. I don't know if it's because of the reversal I requested a week ago from the credit card company or if PopMarket credited me. I have not received my order in any event.

tmtomh likes this.
  20. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Well, now - here's a wrinkle. After PopMarket did not answer my half dozen emails on shipping or a refund, and did not respond to Paypal's dispute inquiries, upon which I received a refund, I got the box I ordered in the mail.

Now I feel bad. Yet I'm not quite sure how I'd go about paying for the item after all this...

tmtomh likes this.
  21. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

It would be interesting to hear if anyone who got a refund via PayPal or their credit card will still get their items from DirectToU, assuming anyone would admit it. ;)

22. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Considering what a confusing mess this "transition" has been, I imagine it's just easier for them to fill as many pending orders as they can without worrying about the ones that have been refunded. I imagine a few of those already refunded will eventually get their order (maybe me?).

tmtomh likes this.
  23. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Why feel bad about their bad business practices?

24. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

It is their fault, no doubt. Win for me. Gonna jam me some Otis!

25. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

I'll let ya know...kinda doubt it tho

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.