The Knack "Get The Knack" Mobile Fidelity MFSL SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RnRmf, Apr 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member Thread Starter

I was pretty excited to see this on SACD because I really love this album.

I received number 207/2000 in the mail, today.
    It's a gatefold sleeve with no booklet, inside. It just has the disc and MFSL advert.

First impressions, were that I'd like this to sound warmer.
    Second impression was I've never heard so much detail from this recording. I had to turn the volume up louder than usual to enjoy this, as well. Cranked pretty loud, it didn't lose composure. It just got more exiting to listen to.

I don't consider this SACD bright, but if one has a bright system, that might be one's conclusion.

Third impression is I'd like to a little more warmth.

I'd probably guess this is what's on the tapes, though. This has been a bright sounding cd in various incarnations, over the years.

I own the ICON cd from a few years ago, but don't have it handy. I remember thinking that was the best this album had sounded on compact disc. I also don't have the 192K/24 bit download from HD tracks, or the 2016 Japanese SHM remaster which is evidently different than everything else.

So there's some serious digital competition with this title.

I don't regret getting it, at all, because of my fondness for the album. I don't know if it would be my favorite digital version until I hear the HD tracks version, though, and make a comparison with the Vic Anesini mastered ICON edition.

Anybody else get this yet and have any impressions or comparisons?

2. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I wouldn't mind hearing this album in full. Good Girls Don't!

Shvartze Shabbos and MikeInFla like this.
  3. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I bought the album back in 1980 and to be honest, I'm not quite sure what I expected...maybe lots of great, exciting tracks along the lines of My Sharona...but I was so disappointed that I literally just bent the Lp up in the cover and shoved it in the garbage. In all seriousness, I've considered giving it another chance over 25 years later.....will my mind change any..??

4. jabbo5150

jabbo5150 Forum Resident

I thought that last CD done by Vic Anesini was the best version of this brilliant album, Had no idea there was a MFSL version of this coming out. I have the original vinyl, the original CD with the censored She's So Selfish, the remaster with all its glitches, but cool bonus tracks and the Icon one. Worth dipping again? I love this band.

5. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I dunno....how much better can this recording get? As others have mentioned, the Vic Anesini remaster sounds wonderful. As does the 24/192 which I assume is the hires Anesini? And of course, the great Wally pressings on vinyl.

I wish some other Knack albums would get the audiophile treatment....the almost universally panned sophmore effort, Round Trip and maybe Serious Fun or Zoom.

6. jabbo5150

jabbo5150 Forum Resident

Love the first three albums and Zoom. The others, while not as good to me, still have some gems as well. Great live band too.

tables_turning and longdist01 like this.
  7. RnRmf

My Sharona is definitely the single, but the album is full of hyperactive, non-pc, tunes. Arguably, few are as immediately hooky and catchy as My Sharona and my first listen was disappointing because of the expectations that the single had built up. But it grew on me very quickly and within a few listens i was hooked and have been for many years.
    If "My Sharona" still wows you, the album is worth another listen.

8. jabbo5150

jabbo5150 Forum Resident

Never been a big fan of Lucinda, though it is a race chance to hear Doug play a lead, but I love the rest of the record.

Fullbug likes this.
  9. RnRmf

I'd guess we won't see the MFSL treatment of the others but I'd be happy with 192/24 downloads.
    There are remasters in existence since the SHM mini lp's from last year have fresh, 2016 remasters according to the information available. I haven't heard them, though. I also don't know if these were remastered in Japan or as part of a worldwide Capitol campaign.

10. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I liked Get The Knack from first track to last back in 1979, and it still holds up as far as I'm concerned. All killer no filler.

As for the SACD, yes, it does have a very kinetic, matter-of-fact, punchy, tight aural presentation. Warm it up too much with EQ and you lose the immediacy of sound that this power pop requires. This isn't a blues-based power trio album from 1970. The Knack were a different animal in a different era and sounded like the unholy offspring of Cheap Trick and The Beatles. (That opening track would fit right in among the tracks on Cheap Trick's Heaven Tonight LP or even on their debut album.)

As both of Mobile Fidelity's mastering engineers are mentioned in the mastering credits I bet that those guys were splitting hairs with much experimentation trying to achieve a perfect balance. (I can hear them now. "What do we do? What do we do?") I think they did alright. You can certainly follow the bass lines without any trouble, and the drums have plenty of kick. Really, this SACD is very live sounding. Like the band is right there in front of you.

Still, those who have system/room combinations that lean slightly to the bright side may find this disk too forward sounding.

11. art

art Senior Member

this thing sounds wonderful.

12. RnRmf

Great post! Spot on observations.

i was actually surprised that the sacd didn't get too forward when i turned it up. I actually enjoyed it more. Time will tell if it winds up being my favorite version of "Get The Knack," though.

13. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Oh yes it will, you were just too young back then

14. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Love the first 2, have them on vinyl so I don't need them on CD. Haven't had them long, maybe a year? Picked them up for 2 bucks each (used to have the first one on vinyl back in the early 80's). I have those 2 and "Serious Fun" on CD and all 3 are enjoyable listens.

15. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Yikes, I only have the BGO two-fer (w/ "Little Girls..."). Is that now well down the hypothetical preferred-mastering list?

16. RnRmf

If you have a bright system, or want an EQ'd version, this disc takes care of that. It's warm, bordering on muddy, and lacking detail evident in most other versions. This version lacks excitement.
    That said, I have it and I listen to it in the car.
    I like this version but it's not my go-to although I can envision some people preferring it.
    The ICON edition is probably the preferred version for most people, on compact disc, at least.
    The Knack (3) - Get The Knack

17. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

I have a Japanese LP of this that sounds great (but bright as many note here). I have nothing to compare it to, as I originally purchased this on 8-track!

18. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I wasn't aware there was a Vic Anesini remaster. I have the 2002 remaster and the 1990 original.

19. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I have the Pastmasters II (which will now be sold) and the Anesini mastered Iconoclassic disc. This new version is the best I have heard.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    oopap likes this.
  20. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

I had no idea that Vic Anesini remastered this in 2011! I love this album but I guess I haven't kept up on it after purchasing the earlier remaster from 2002. I'm on it!

johnny q likes this.
  21. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

As you should be!! :) It sounds real nice and the spicy language has been restored......

22. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Music Direct, in addition to the SACD is showing a new vinyl release of this (Get The Knack) - from original master tapes and availability TBA.

Edit: I see this coming from a mile away! I posted how I didn't think this recording could sound any better than the original vinyl or Anesini remaster etc. Watch.....I will eventually buy both of these:shake:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  23. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

24. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

I have the Pastmasters II disc also. What do you like better about the SACD ? I just listened to the Pastmasters disc and did not find it objectionable. I have not compared it to anything else though.

25. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I wouldn't say they are rare.....rare to find them in good condition perhaps. These records got PLAYED! :) I have found quite a few at record conventions but all have been beat to hell. I have a WLY that I would rate as a VG for the most part and I also have a non WLY in NM condition and the latter sounds better quite frankly. I am very curious how that Mobile Fidelity LP will sound compared to both of my originals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.