Homeland: New show on Showtime

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kwadguy, Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

this season was horrible; the finale was the worst. i'm literally in awe of all the praise everyone here is giving it.

Malina likes this.
  2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Well, it's certainly not a top tier show (by a fair margin), but on the other hand, it's far better than things like 24, Prison Break, The Blacklist, Designated Survivor!

DLD, Mylene, GentleSenator and 3 others like this.
  3. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

no doubt. honestly though, as an admirer of your critical analysis here i'm amazed at your positive comments in this thread!

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

If you read all my comments for the current season, you will see that I have been quite critical of many aspects of the season, especially the middle episodes and the whole Quinn role throughout. But I have also acknowledged aspects that have worked very well too. That's why I say it's not a top tier show (like say Better Call Saul, Fargo, The Expanse, Sneaky Pete, Westworld, Line Of Duty, Bloodline, etc).

GentleSenator likes this.
  5. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I'm beginning to like 24. There's lots of explosions, someone different gets kidnapped every week and the cliffhangers are pretty well worked out. I also liked that there was an episode where absolutely nothing happened. Not every hour can be 'edge of your seat' TV.

I'm actually looking forward to it.

6. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

The last episode was great. Elizabeth Marvel is brilliant as Elizabeth Keane. I loved the shot of Carrie looking up at the White House at the end. It's almost like it's setting the next season up for a Carrie vs. Washington showdown.

I couldn't get into 24. I tried watching it after a friend - a fellow fan of Homeland - recommended it to me.

7. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Carrie needs to rejoin the CIA! Battling criminals as a private citizen just doesn't work for me. Actually, much of this season didn't work for me--it seemed to lack focus. The final two episodes were better, but all in all, this was a weak season.

mds, Rufus McDufus and agentalbert like this.
  8. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Lol, you flat out nailed Homeland's peers, both those it's better than and those it's worse than. We watch the majority of those and agree on all. I would add The Americans and The Preacher as series it's worse than.

9. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

huh?

10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What's the general opinion of this series here?

As, Rolling Stone placed it around the 90 mark on one of their best 100 tv shows ratings polls.
    Top three were >>>
    1- The Sopranos
    2- Wire
    3- Breaking Bad

Game Of Thrones-10

Poor old Lost got a 37 rating.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  11. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

I'd put Game of Thrones ahead of Breaking Bad but that's just me (plus the fact I'm married to a chemist and she used to pull Breaking Bad to bits every time there was any chemistry in it!)

I'd put The Wire ahead of The Sopranos too, because The Wire is the finest piece of TV ever made.

Homeland? Top 20, probably

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    Mylene and alexpop like this.
  12. alexpop

Homeland reminds me of a bigger budget "24".

My top three would be.
    BB
    Lost
    GOT.

Loads of great TV series in the 21st C.

13. gary191265

After the first couple of seasons, Lost wouldn't even be in my top 100. We watched it all out of (in the end) morbid fascination!

Deesky likes this.
  14. alexpop

LOST...
    I binge watched the entire series in 2011. Yeah the ending was kinda sad sack. Must have been riveting stuff ( or not) watching it real time ..discussing the show as it progresses later in a pub/bar/workplace.

15. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

LOST is still in my top five television shows. Homeland. . . my interest really waned after season 3 or so but I'm still watching (on disc, don't have that network). I'd put it in the top fifty.

alexpop likes this.
  16. alexpop

Brody : They killed the golden goose by the neck. His wife was easy on the eyes.
    Ha! Brought him back in season 4,
    Carrie LSD hallucination. :)

17. gary191265

No-one was talking about it much at all after Season 2!

18. alexpop

First two seasons were the best.

19. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

The feeling always seems to be that Homeland lost its mojo post-Brody. I disagree. I think the season just ended was one if its best. My top three TV shows, for anyone that cares, would be Breaking Bad, M.A.S.H., and...The Office (US). Homeland would be in my top 10.

gary191265 and alexpop like this.
  20. alexpop

Breaking Bad I've watched 3 times.
    Very addictive compelling show, brilliantly character driven.

Scope J likes this.
  21. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I actually am very careful about my BB bingeing. I have to block out a lot of time and really commit to it, because once I'm in, I don't come up for air for days.

artfromtex and alexpop like this.
  22. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Just finished S06

a wild ride!

Brenald79 likes this.
  23. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I just watched the season as well. So much better than seasons 4 and 5. I like the alternative reality setting and am looking forward to the next season, not something I really would have said at the end of the last; I almost stopped watching this series.

24. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

When does Homeland typically start the season? January?

25. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

september. but from what i've read we shouldn't expect anything until 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.