Is Pono no more?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by conjotter, Nov 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

I find it so odd that you spend your life finding these silly pet issues to argue about for months.

Like why do you care? We get it you like Pono and think it will come back. Your right everyone else is inferior to you.

You have been heard.

Go play with a dog or something, relax.

sunspot42 likes this.
  2. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

Is this your way of saying he's not unbelievably flaky and hasn't actually let anything fall through the cracks on a habitual basis?

Lost In The Flood and Carserguev like this.
  3. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

This thread is getting unbearable.

4. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

No he didn't. There were already players that where better than Pono and they where other stores that had files with the same quality....

5. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

In its price range there is NO player that will compete with Pono, especially when running balanced.

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I'm saying don't give up.

7. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Dave 81828384, Tuco and oneway23 like this.
  8. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Wow. Thanks for this news! I really haven't had much coffee yet, but, is this essentially a personal music locker? The mobile plan is $15/mo, and it says you can connect to your PC server and other streaming services, but why would I need to pay them to access streaming services which I already pay for?

Also, this personal locker is OraStream's actual consumer-facing product, unlike the prior company, Omnifone, which was merely a back-end for others, so why in the blue hell does Neil Young now need his own service on top of this one? What is he going to provide for people that OraStream is not already offering, especially if he is using their service to power his?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    Dave 81828384 likes this.
  9. RomanZ

RomanZ Forum Resident

So I guess this is the platform Neil was waiting for to unleash the Archives pt II...One can dream, right?

Waymore Lonesome likes this.
  10. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

"OraStream's technology delivers the best fidelity one would ever hear with digital music streaming today. As bandwidth increases, the music will increase in quality to the highest level possible, subject only to the quality of the original music source."
    - Neil Young

23:59...

[​IMG]

11. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Different than the entirely loseless streaming this new endeavor seems to be offering, though, no?

12. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

It actually says the mobile plan is $15 a year and that's quoted in Singapore dollars. A quick online conversion tells me that's $10 and change a year to be able to access your own "PC server" from any Android or iOS device. That's pretty cheap. I once purchased software to allegedly allow me to do this permanently (one time charge), but it's buggy as all get out and doesn't really work properly in the end. I can imagine some folks will jump on this for such a low price, although I personally don't do streaming and would rather play back music on my own portable device and save the bandwith on my phone's data plan.

oneway23 likes this.
  13. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Hey, I warned y'all that I hadn't had much coffee at the time. That is, in fact, $15 per year (even less when converted)! Now we're talking!

Still need to have explained how Neil factors into this. Assuming they'll authenticate purchases you've made from Pono and enable you to stream them?

jhm likes this.
  14. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

I created an account and installed the Brio server on my Mac. It asked me to log in. Now I am looking at a black window with a pretty Brio by Orastream logo. No Preferences option, no clue what to do to set it up to serve files. Oh well.

15. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Hey, Steve. I don't have a Mac, but, I'll give it a look later on tonight and report back.

16. Dave 81828384

I'm hoping if Neil ever gets his streaming service running it won't be tied to one particular software program. Right now I use Audirvana to stream Tidal and I will be able to use Amarra Luxe when it finally gets released. I'm not sure I would have any use for streaming my own music.

17. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Isn't this just what programs like Subsonic already offer?

18. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Depends on whether or not you read the article about XStream.

19. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

The press release? I read it. What did I miss? In the video nikosvault posted, Neil is obviously referring to lossy streaming options like Spotify when discussing why he feels streaming sucks. I got the impression that he was posting this in order to point out some hypocrisy of Neil's? Maybe I was mistaken.

20. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Yes, however, Subsonic requires transcoding. My impression is that this new offer from Orastream is entirely loseless, up to 24/192.

Edit: I take that back. The PC/MAC app acts as a server, which will let you listen completely loselessly. IF you pay $150 a year for cloud usage, you can eliminate leaving the PC on, but are then subjected to adaptive streaming.

I, personally, don't see the point of paying for the cloud access at all. External hard drives for redundancy are a much cheaper option. Just download the server as a free app and leave the damned PC/Mac on. You get secondary browser access for free, or you could simply pay $15/month for the phone plan. Either way, leave the PC on and stay loseless.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    Dave 81828384 likes this.
  21. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

My apologies to you, sir. I said it before, but I REALLY shouldn't post here before having my coffee! Damned details! Please disregard by above response to you. Thanks.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  22. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

The pre-coffee thing gets me every morning around 5am...;)

23. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Considering the fact that I responded to you at around 4PM my time, perhaps I ended up having too much! I READ the PR before the coffee, though!

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  24. Dave 81828384

I just thought you got up really late. :laugh:

oneway23 likes this.
  25. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.