Record Store Day 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Not really. It's just a one off to celebrate the 10th anniversary of RSD. If they did this every year I think it would be pointless. But I expect they might start doing just that anyway :)

2. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Any indication whether Neil's Decade will remain limited? Seems odd to do that...

3. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

I can pick up cool vinyl and hang out at a record store without Record Store Day and all the phoniness it entails.

Complier and pghmusiclover like this.
  4. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

See, right there - the phoniness it entails - that's insulting to anyone who doesn't share your opinion. Unnecessary, and it calls into question the very motivation for such a response.

5. Yeah kinds of a BS comments
    I went to the very first RSD at Amoeba in SF. They had one rack of records and nobody was initially there except me and my friend. I been on and off for the past several years. I moved to Seattle from SF three years ago and have gone to three in a row at Silver Platters which is physical, the largest store here. I've goiter there by 7AM so waiting two hours and have met wonderful people in line who I now run it not every so often.

I see it as a fun day but I know it's not for everyone. It is certainly not full of phoniness IMHO. But there are a % of wonky titles each year.

AZRunner, Trace, hi_watt and 4 others like this.
  6. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

For me, RSD is usually Wednesdays or Thursdays, at least every other week. No need for the real. :p

PREX usually ends up with leftover stock of the stray RSD title I might be interested in, and I'll pick it up days later - no crowds or waiting.

Not to diminish the fun some of you have if you're into the event, of course. :tiphat:

7. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I think the point is that you're less likely to go to a store to shop for these albums, if you might win them.

8. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

you may not believe this...but they also sell "cool vinyl" on record store day! and you can "hang out" at the record store! shocking, I know.

Embracetheday, superstar19 and e.s. like this.
  9. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Right -- just like you won't go to work because you might win the lottery!

ridernyc, docwebb and e.s. like this.
  10. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

There is nothing cool about hanging out with eBay flippers. Nothing.

11. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I'm not saying that I agree with the point but I'd hardly call it the same thing as you describe.

12. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Stay away from any place that sells records altogether then, because people aren't just flipping RSD releases. While I don't think everyone turning out for RSD are flippers, there is obviously a percentage of customers looking to cash in by selling what they get that day. There's also a percentage of customers doing the exact same thing every time they visit a record store, though: They look for deals on used vinyl, then sell them on eBay. Or at other stores. When I lived in Berkeley, I regularly saw people I recognized as staff (or even owners) from other shops looking through the used vinyl at Rasputin when it was first put out, then taking what they found and marking it up when it went into their own stock. Some shops go to record fairs, buy stock, take it back to their businesses and mark it up. It's more apparent on RSD because, in theory, re-selling "hot" new releases is less of a risk, but it's something that's going on all the time.

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  13. The majority of shoppers are not flippers. Of course there are some but thats just the free market. They don't get in my way or make the day any less fun.

Tom Campbell, eddiel, CrewU and 5 others like this.
  14. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I just noticed that Procol Harum's Shine On Brightly (US album cover) is one of the RSD exclusives. On the Varese label, small pressing (2,200).

15. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

:laughup: Perfect. My new signature.

davenav likes this.
  16. Exactly. Agree w everything in that post. :tiphat:

davenav likes this.
  17. Django

Django Forum Resident

The two I would like to get are compilations, insane times & come to the sunshine. (I have both on CD already)
    I was interested in the cure's greatest hits, but its a picture disc...

18. redflag

redflag Forum Resident

Myself and the vast majority of the people I've talked to on RSD (gotta do something while standing in line) are there to pick up stuff they really want from bands they love. Obviously, there's flippers, but there's way more fans.

Sean, e.s., Gaslight and 2 others like this.
  19. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

It hurts young acts and big/small labels that have to waits months for their vinyl to get pressed.

pghmusiclover and troggy like this.
  20. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

What I'm liking about the Leppard release is the original 7" was at 33rpm. The RSD offering is a 12" at 45rpm. They've kept the original artwork for authenticity, but that states 33 on the sleeve..... It's going to confuse a few people....

Not long now....

21. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Who cares?

"I want my records pressed, Now! Daddy." - Veruca Salt

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    leeroy jenkins likes this.
  22. Now more presses are running. so you reserve time. Plan ahead.

e.s. likes this.
  23. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I always find it assuming that the people who lament over the loss of community, when it comes to musical appreciation, poo-poo RSD at the same time.

RSD is one of the few times that I get to enjoy not only shopping for music that I might enjoy, but with like-minded music lovers (so far, at least).

redflag, Mazzy and e.s. like this.
  24. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

I can do that every week at the record stores around here!!

andrewskyDE, Sean, e.s. and 2 others like this.
  25. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I love Procol and was hoping that this was going to be the mono version but it's stereo, which I really don't need. Still may pick one up though if I see it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.