"13 Reasons Why" (Netflix)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AndyNicks, Apr 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone else give this a shot yet? Granted it's an old storyline (high school & identity) issues but my students kept talking about how good it is (I teach TV Production) and am on break this week. Needless to say I'm hooked.

Paulette and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  2. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

My wife and I just finished the series last night. It has some rather large plot elements that just wouldn't happen in reality (i.e. legal conflict of interest type of stuff)...but we did enjoy it for the most part.

3. crp207

crp207 Forum Resident

Very good, disturbing, and hard to watch at times... amazing how much deception goes on amongst young folk....guess I forgot!

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

At 58, I never identify with such things.

Scott222C likes this.
  5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'm only 4 eps in and so far I'm digging it. It has a very interesting narrative structure, not just with the tapes, but also with almost seamless flashbacks (I guess that's why Clay has a cut on his forehead to help identify the present from past flashbacks).

This show demands concentration and binging is the only way to go. Good stuff.

6. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Extremely powerful-and ingeniously told. But I think I need to re-binge "The Office" for the 10th time because I could really use the laughs.

Paulette and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  7. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Very good. The kids are great in it. Maybe a little drawn out??

8. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

I binge-watched it just over a week ago. The cast was fantastic, especially Katherine Langford, Dylan Minnette and Brandon Flynn. The scene when Hannah ends her life was harrowing. I hope there's a second series to tie up all the loose ends. The soundtrack is also fantastic. I love the Chromatics version of Into the Black.

Mr. H likes this.
  9. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

It became a bit repetitive in the middle... being locked into the "one episode per side" structure meant there was probably two or three episodes too many. You wanted to tell Clay, finish the damn tapes already.

I haven't read the book but apparently it takes place over one night.

mrjinks, Vidiot and BLUESJAZZMAN like this.
  10. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I'm glad I read this to learn that Hannah kills herself. :righton:

seacliffe301 likes this.
  11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I guess an argument could be made for a 10 episode run, however I'm now up to ep 9 and I'm not finding it drawn out because I'm so absorbed in the story, the characters and the structure.

In some ways, I'm reminded of Vernica Mars, I half expect to see a Rob Thomas credit.

12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Okay, now I've finished the series and my one word review is...brilliant!

All the actors were excellent, but in the final episode, Katherine Langford (Hannah) was simply mesmerizing. That scene with the school counselor was devastating, and all her other scenes were just amazing.

This show is a masterclass in the use of flashbacks. The way they fold-in flashbacks with the present is sublime. In fact, probably the most chillingly effective scene of the whole series involves...
    what is ostensibly a flashback, where Clay professes his love for Hannah, and she replies "did you have to tell me that now that I'm dead"? Of course it wasn't a flashback, but a regret conjured in Clay's imagination. It gave me chills.

I cannot rate this highly enough!

13. crp207

crp207 Forum Resident

Yeah, my wife kept asking...why hasn't he finished the tapes already!

14. Squealy

It's not a spoiler, you know this from the first scene, or reading anything about the show.

15. Synthfreek

I've done neither except for this thread. Thank you and not sure how anyone would know that if they were to just read this thread.

16. Squealy

... that's not really our problem...

17. Synthfreek

Why are being a jerk after I thanked you? Your dog is ugly.

18. Squealy

Why did you add "I'm not sure how anyone would know that if they just read this thread"? It sounded like you were still complaining.

19. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

Spoilers! God!!

I'm watching Sunset Boulevard right now, so don't tell me what happens to the William Holden character.

KeninDC likes this.
  20. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Hannah is dead before he show starts. It tells you that in the show description. It doesn't spoil anything.

I'm digging the show. About 6 episodes in right now.

21. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

The music is very well utilized.

BlueTrane likes this.
  22. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I return to my earlier comment about conflicts of interests. There is no way Clay's Mom would be able to take this case, if her son went to the same school as the girl who committed suicide. That part is just ridiculous to me. Actually...Clay's parents were the worst thing about the show. Their relationship with Clay is just so unbelievable as well.

23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

In fact, Clay spoke to that - he's finding it traumatic listening to the words of someone he loved and hearing about all the cruel acts and sadness that lead her to commit the final act. He can only take so much of it at any one time - it's hard for him.

But over and above that, the slow discovery of the facts is vital structurally to the whole narrative. It's what makes the series so compelling, wondering what may lie ahead with other people's tapes and indeed, his own. All the while the other people involved having that foreknowledge and conspiring to keep their secrets.

This is a central element of the show and frankly it was brilliantly executed, all the way to the end.

Mr. H likes this.
  24. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I watched the first episode tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it. Very clever structure and semi-likeable teens! I think Clay was in a very good TV show called "Awake," which was cancelled before we ever knew what was really going on!

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, Awake was a very interesting show that not many people saw -- that was the one where a cop was in a terrible car wreck, and wakes up only to find in one universe, his son is dead and his grieving wife is still alive, but sometimes he wakes up and discovers the wife is dead and the grieving son is still alive. And different things happen in different universes that help him solve crimes in each. Very thoughtful idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.