AudioQuest carbon fiber brush - new and improved model!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Turnaround, Mar 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

AudioQuest has redesigned its record brush! And remember, the brush is good for cleaning keyboards and other things too!

[​IMG]

AnalogPlanet: Throw Away Your Old AudioQuest Carbon Fiber Brush!
    Throw Away Your Old AudioQuest Carbon Fiber Brush!

AudioQuest's carbon fiber brush, in production for thirty five years, has been the industry "standard" dry record brush. If you have the one pictured above, please throw it out or donate it to a really needy record collector.

You should replace it with AudioQuest's new carbon fiber brush pictured below.

Why? Company founder Bill Low eventually realized that the original brush, along with most others, doesn't provide a good electrical path between the fibers and the handle, which is the static electricity "ground" discharge point to your hand. We are the world. You are the ground. The original brush's handle has a print-protecting coating that inhibits the static-electricity's path to ground.

So AQ went back to the proverbial drawing board and re-designed the brush, which required new tooling for every part. The new brush has what the company calls "ideal conductivity" from the carbon fibers, through the brush's internal parts to the conductive gold contacts placed close to your fingers, which is where they need to be. You can see the gold strip in the photo.

JoelWat and DK Pete like this.
  2. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

I read this article earlier today. Hoping for a review soon to see if there's a noticeable difference.

Grant likes this.
  3. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

With all due respect, I hated the original brush so no matter how good the review is, no thanks. Not only would the fibers come off, I don't think it did such a good job at all removing the dust off an LP. I bought a Record Doctor V cleaning machine a few months ago...the cloth brush which they supply for spreading the cleaning fluid is what I use for gently swiping/maneuvering dust off the record surface; this works beautifully prior to the wet cleaning for which i use a mofi brush. But back to the dry-dusting, I just don't think Audio-Quest's is adequate. Just my nickel's worth.

4. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Ok. I added it to my Amazon wish list.

5. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

I have one of the audioquest brushes but greatly prefer the AT 6013, which I think is the same as the Hunt brush. It has two rows of carbon fiber separated by velvety nap. Love it.

Puma Cat and johnny q like this.
  6. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Some of you mention the fibers coming off of the Audioquest brush. Here is my experience...

I purchased the brush circa 2012 and both rows of bristles are very thick and robust - no issues with "shedding." I bought a spare brush last year (exact same AQ brush) and it's totally different - the bristles are quite flimsy and not stacked as thick. After using it a few months the fibers started coming off making a mess. Into the garbage it goes. I wonder what happened and why the inconsistency in quality? I hope the new brush addresses this.

Has anyone seen the new brush for sale yet???

JQ

7. Paranoid_Android

Paranoid_Android Forum Resident

Still can't be better than the Hunt EDA Brush

8. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

My AudioQuest brush is silver with the two rows of bristles. Not sure when I bought it but the first one I bought the bristles started falling out the 1st time I used it. That one went back right away but the one I have now is good but it never did work all that great. Not stiff enough or something for my tastes and I am still left with a decent amount of static-electricity. I uses it because that's what I have but looking for something better.

Pat

9. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

i bought one that looks exactly the same as that original audioquest one but i got it from HMV in the mid 90s for about £10 i think. Its worked fine, never had anything shedding

Grant likes this.
  10. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

April Fools!

Right?

11. Bill Low has concluded that the design of the original brush is in fact defective and does not work as advertised?

I assume assume he will soon be posting an address where we can send our original brushes back for a free replacement with a functional brush.

AcidPunk15, Rolltide, McGuy and 6 others like this.
  12. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron

I ordered one from Amazon. Should be here Wednesday. I'll report back then...

Grant and paulewalnutz like this.
  13. John Storey

John Storey Well-Known Member

Have you received yours yet? What are your thoughts? I have the original AudioQuest, I've had it for a month, if it is a significant upgrade, I'll bite, but given my Canadian residence, I'll need to shell out $40 for it...

14. Budgetphile

Budgetphile Forum Resident

I bought one and it's great. Picks up dust must better and I have noticed that there is much less static than my original AQ brush. I'm very happy with it. The old brush seemed to add static to the record, this one does not. Also looks cooler

Grant and paulewalnutz like this.
  15. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Interesting. I like my original brush, and haven't had the issues that have been posted. This new one does sound tempting, and wouldn't mind giving it a shot. I can use the older one for records that are about to be wet vacuumed.

16. John Storey

Looking at the design, is that tan strip supposed to be where you hold it? Or is that just decoration? I looks a little tricky to get your fingers on it exclusively...

17. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I've had my new one for a few days now, and I agree. It seems to do a much better job than my old one at picking up and removing dust.

18. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

So why not insert an un-insulated wire into the the carbon fibers of the old brush (near the top, so it's not near where the brush contacts the record). Take the other end of the un-insulated wire and wrap it around the handle. Now you old brush has a contact between the brushes and your hand. Now there is a good electrical path between the fibers and the handle, which is the static electricity "ground" discharge point to your hand (as stated above). Why wouldn't this be as good (apart from the fact that it's not gold-plated).

Robert C and H8SLKC like this.
  19. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

Thanks! Looks like I'll be getting the new one.

20. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Got the new brush today.....

"Meet the new boss....same as the old boss." :)

Kristofferabild likes this.
  21. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Is this a jole? Bill Low 'eventually' realized the brush needed to be improved?

30 years later? Did Fremer have any idea how ridiculous that sounded?

most of their stuff is made in China so not raising the price is not some big favor they are doing.

patient_ot and BGLeduc like this.
  22. John Storey

Are you suggesting we Shouldn't be Fooled Again? And the brush truly is "Same as the old "boss"?"

johnny q likes this.
  23. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Is this the only way to ground the old brush?

24. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

It's just what Mikey Fremer was shilling for this month.

johnny q likes this.
  25. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

I also just ordered one. =)

Longshot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.