Fleetwood Mac - Buckingham McVie album for 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lennonfan1, Jan 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I really like "In My World". Very Mirage-era sound to me, and for me that's a plus. I don't hear autotune at all. Delays, reverb...yep.

Shak Cohen and jammincrowe like this.
  2. wilbuck

wilbuck Forum Resident

Very Buckingham, once again showing his ability to push things in a new direction. A really cool chorus with a melody that is different than anything I've heard from him. Awesome Mcvie Fuzz bass in the intro, great swell guitar parts, and once again the most underrated part of his work, the lyrics. This is track 3 on the album right? In my opinion this was not meant to be a slam dunk single, but a response to Stevie Nicks and her unwillingness to participate in the album.

Keep pushing Lindsey... To do this at his age is amazing, and I for one feel lucky to hear new stuff from living legend musicians like him; I think we all should feel this way.

3. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I like hearing Lindsey and I like hearing Christine, but the production gloss can get in the way of even great songs. It's not that I am against synths or effects inherently, but when they are crutches, or as with this track get in the way and actively distract, no thanks. I liked all of Mirage, this is way more Tango which I think was ruined by the effects and over-polishing. These people are so good they do not need it ever, I can only think Lindsey likes playing with things a lot and finding some way to show off his favorite audio 'discoveries'. I know I'm a broken record on this... it's the down side of the kind of worship lavished on Brian Wilson, Phil Spector or 10cc. I prefer to stay in the garage over going to 'tinkly bonk' town in anything less than genius hands. I almost always prefer a real live sound in a good room with minimal overdubs, there just is no substitute.

Deano6, DTK and Mooserfan like this.
  4. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

I was driving myself crazy with what song In My World reminds me of....

Pumped Up Kicks

RoyalScam likes this.
  5. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

It's a good song as a solo album track for Lindsey, don't see how it fits on a duets album though. Hearing this and the last "Fleetwood Mac" EP (4 x Lindsey lead vocals) it's no wonder Stevie opted out.

6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Lindsey will mess up occasionally, it's inevitable. He loves to play in his studio, day after day hour after hour. The way I look at it, he's a genius and sometimes he just massages things to death and overdoes it. I'm not one of those people who adores every single solo song he's done, though I don't own any LB Mac--only all his solo material. Just like there's people who have a low SN tolerance, you have to be willing to put up with Lindsey overindulging his muse, probably not much different than Springsteen or Brian (in his time). I remember people hearing early solo stuff like I Want You or DW suite and thinking Lindsey had gone off the deep end. If you're with Lindsey outside of Mac, you gotta be willing to hear him color outside the lines. A lot. But you get so much other than that, particularly when he re-arranges Chris stuff, like Little Lies. I'm almost more eager to her what he does with her songs than more of his stuff...........

pdenny, willy and beccabear67 like this.
  7. Then she needed to bring some songs.

8. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I'm not a huge fan of Fleetwood Mac / related stuff, but this new song is great.

lennonfan1 likes this.
  9. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

So you think Stevie declined because of the songs Lindsey was making? She didn't contribute any new songs to the EP. That's why she had zero lead vocals. Lindsey wanted to do an album and Stevie would only agree to singing backup on two songs and adding a new recording of a 40 year old song and that's it.

10. I like it, too. As others noted, I would love to hear some more interaction on other songs (as on You & I or similar tunes), but this is still quite good. Beats anything on the 4 song EP.

Bowieboy likes this.
  11. It's too bad because she had some very good songs for Say You Will, and they were arranged well by Lindsey and the band.

Bowieboy and Shak Cohen like this.
  12. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

He murdered Smile at You, compared to the demos. At the end of the day Stevie Nicks has a solo career outside of the band so doesn't need to put out songs under the FM banner. I agree it's disappointing she didn't want to do another album with them but personally I think 24 Karat Gold was excellent and will take that over Say You Will any day.

aseriesofsneaks and Bowieboy like this.
  13. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

Take 4 songs from McVie In the Meantime and replace the more esoteric Lindsey tracks and Say U will is as good as Tango

theMess, willy, rjp and 3 others like this.
  14. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It's catchy and sounds like a Lindsey solo song, typical overuse of annoying effects. Why he is lauded for his prouctions skills is a complete Mystery To Me.

Further and pghmusiclover like this.
  15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

totally agree.....some of those buckingham songs on 'say you will' are just not good, not good at all.

16. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I like the single, which is good as I have the LP on pre-order. Caught it on the car radio. Didn't know what it was but thought this is kinda nice. So glad it was Buckingham McVie. Reminded me of Tango in the Night era Mac. Here's hoping for the rest.

17. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member Thread Starter

It has a post Tango sound which I find interesting....I also think the song is a dig at Stevie (yet again) :)
    nice counterpoint Christine piano at the end. A real curveball as an initial release but it has depth.

18. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

The new track is primo Buckingham. That's just gotta be Fleetwood and John McVie on the track, also.

19. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

The real problem right now is that Stevie seems to have severe writers block (she admits it) and one of the reasons 24k Gold was so good is because they were songs she stached away 30-40 years ago. Hopefully she can get her muse back.

20. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I think her best recent recorded performance was on the Sound City soundtrack, produced by Dave Grohl.

21. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

I like it. Nothing special though..perhaps I had too high hopes.
    sounds like a LB solo song with the familiar rythm section. in terms of production Ithink it sounds better than some of his recent solo albums, so fingers crossed....

22. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I don't think it's the writer's block that's the issue (she reused old songs for Say You Will & In Your Dreams), I think she doesn't like what Lindsey does to them anymore. She could easily put together a list of 3 or 4 old tracks for FM but from what I've read, she said she'd only record if Dave Stewart is producing her, and I think he did a great job with 24 KG. If Lindsey had produced it it would be a completely different record and lost its rock n roll vibe in favour of his usual "sheen". (And I do like Lindsey and his stuff generally so not bashing him, just prefer the Iovine sound production for Stevie's stuff)

aseriesofsneaks likes this.
  23. WalkAThinLine

WalkAThinLine Forum Resident

i think all Buck songs on SYW are fantastic other than What's the World and Say Goodbye. so remove those 2 and 2 of Nicks songs (which other than Destiny Rules are all dispensable imo) with 4 ITM Christine songs and SYW would be even better than it was. however even as is, SYW is already way way better than Tango.

24. WalkAThinLine

WalkAThinLine Forum Resident

composed by Dave Grohl. produced by Butch Vig.

theMess, Matthew Tate and RoyalScam like this.
  25. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

If an outsider to Fleetwood Mac read this thread, they would come to the conclusion that Stevie is incapable of contributing anything to the sound, did nothing to help keep the band alive the last 20 years, is pouting because other members of the band decided to record together and will not be on stage with them in a couple of months.

Meanwhile, the can do no wrong despite sitting on the sidelines for almost 20 years Christine is back to save the day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.