Is Pono no more?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by conjotter, Nov 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

Is that in Neil-speak? Could be waiting a while.

2. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Who knows. It's just a link to xstream.com

3. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

4. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

It absolutely does not require transcoding - I can stream straight FLAC if I set it to do so. I don't - I transcode to 256kbps mp3, as that seems plenty "good enough" for mobile use - but Subsonic doesn't force it.

5. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

I see...Alright, well, in that case, this doesn't appear very different after all, then.

sunspot42 likes this.
  6. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

The new Neil Young 's streaming music service is called Xstream. Xstream, Pono ...Dirty Old Man...

RomanZ likes this.
  7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Well, he'd better hurry up and get his store back up. It's closing in on a year.

8. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

I had the opportunity to have a couple of questions answered about BRIO by what I assume is an OraStream employee over on CA. They have posted a bit of an FAQ over there for those of you who care to check it out.

I have been told that all remote streaming, either by BRIO desktop (on PC/MAC) or even through the cloud offering, is adaptive bit-rate streaming. I've said my piece about this over there, so I don't want to cut and paste, but, please feel free to view the exchange should you think it might be beneficial.

Dave 81828384 likes this.
  9. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

Has anyone gotten past this blank screen?

10. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

I filed a bug report and was quickly contacted by a developer. I let him work on my machine for a little and he figured out what was going on (it had to do with setting up NAT-pnp on my FiOS router). He was able to fix it (with some local code changes) and promised the next release would resolve it.

11. Strontian

Strontian Forum Resident

Pono has a new Steaming service.
    Pono branding and 4 albums to listen to. PONO

12. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

How do I get this to work? I can't see anything?

13. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

This was a full web app yesterday, complete with 4 Neil albums to test. Seems it has since morphed into a link for the download of the server app.

14. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Yes...A little late getting back to you as I said I would yesterday, Steve..My apologies...For anyone who downloads this to give it a whirl, you must forward a port in your router for UPNP in order for the server to function properly, as well as disabling all of your computer's sleep settings.

15. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

I have the server running, and the web page still just tells me my server isn't running and offers to download it. Another false start...

16. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Looked at the orastream/Brio site. Confusing. First, it seems to be a system for playing your downloads remotely, not a high-res streaming service. Second, I wouldn't install it beccause it says it requies upnp to be enabled and I regard that as a security risk. Presumably you can set up port fowarding manually, if you trst the app, but it doesn't say how.

Tim

17. Strontian

Strontian Forum Resident

Seems that the Page has now be redirected @dtuck90. I know it's not much conciliation but I did take some pics while it was up.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Dave 81828384 likes this.
  18. Frankie TAN

Frankie TAN Well-Known Member

We're sorry we had to take down the web app (that is for a mobile streaming app) that demonstrates how Xstream provides the highest quality audio vis-a-vis current streaming systems under the same conditions.

19. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Thank you for joining us here...Welcome!

20. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I downloaded Oratsreams Brio software on my Mac. Had no problems with UPnP and accessing my music through Safari on my iPhone but the software on my Mac is very buggy and doesn't add all of my musi to the library. Lots of albums with missing tracks etc and artist selection will only show the first album by the artist in alphabetical order

21. Strontian

Strontian Forum Resident

@Frankie TAN Thanks for the update on the removal. Was there any particular reason for the take down? purely out of interest and of course no obligation to explain anything, only if you can.

The Non- Branded Pono Demo site is still available but with the same four albums, No black/grey background and no delivery scale in "Blue" it's a bit hard to find but it's there ;-) .

@dtuck90 I'm running the Win64 and so far the only little annoyances are that although it displays and plays DSD it does not make any determination of BitRate for DSD. There is also an issue in how it treats cover art, embedded cover art is fine but not cover art in the root of the folder.

22. Frankie TAN

The initial scanning do take some time - we've seen it being affected by metadata formats. Do send us a ticket so we can took into specific cases for appropriate fixes. For very large libraries, the other way to locate music files is to look in Local Drives (under Locations).

23. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

24. Frankie TAN

Sure, it was taken down because the streams aren't cleared for royalty reporting as they were for demo purposes only.

For DSD playback or streams, BRIO transcodes DSD to PCM WAV in 24/88 audio resolution for local playback. For remote access/streaming, the 24/88 PCM WAV is piped through for MPEG-4 SLS encoding for adaptive streaming to web audio (browser) or native audio (mobile app) playback.

You would note that web audio (browser) is via a SLS-player based on JavaScript - hence there's no need for users to download/install a browser plug-in for 24-bit audio playback on browsers.

We are working on better dealing with metadata. Please send us a ticket so we may look into specific cases to work on appropriate fixes.

Strontian likes this.
  25. Frankie TAN

Yes, we use an enhanced-version of MPEG-4 SLS for adaptive streaming. Do note that MPEG-4 SLS is only for remote accesss/adaptive streaming. BRIO does not stream locally; it playbacks locally as FooBar, JRiver audio players do.

oneway23 and dtuck90 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.