Who else dislikes iTunes?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by vinyl13, Oct 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

My piece of advise for using iTunes would be do not turn on Genius and do not use Apple Music. Other than that many will tell you not to allow iTunes to organize your files. From my personal experience I disagree. I have allowed iTunes to organize my library without issues for many years.

2. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

FYI: iTunes 12.6 brings back the ability to view playlists in a separate window.

3. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

4. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I switched to JRiver this weekend. iTunes is vastly inferior. At this point, I'm only using iTunes to sync to my iPad.

5. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Does JRiver work with the latest versions of iOS? I see JRiver has a Linux version, and if I can leave iTunes behind, then I can jump ship on Windows as well.

6. Time Is On My Side

Bring back iTunes Essentials playlists.

Also, when I go to sync songs sometimes, I notice that a few songs here and there never sync. They get added to the sync list, but the little circle loading icon is still there, even though it's done syncing. You have to go in and tell the iPod to sync your entire library. That and I keep getting this "Other" taking up space on my iPod. It's about 4.5GB and I don't know what the data is.

7. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I'm sure it does. I have Windows, so I can't say for sure.

8. Time Is On My Side

I can't believe how bad iTunes has gotten. I no longer use it for anything other than buying the occasional "Mastered For iTunes" album. Almost everything else I get from 7Digital or buy the CD. There is still NO support for FLAC unless you use a third-party app. The biggest gripe for me is that they got rid of the check boxes for songs you want to sync. This was nice because I could just check the songs I wanted and then when I bought new stuff, click the boxes and let it sync to my iPod. They now removed that and older versions of iTunes that have it, do not work with iOS 10.x on the iPod Touch. I find that Windows Media Player is getting to be better than iTunes. In Windows 10, it works with all my FLAC, AAC and MP3 files no problem. I can just drag/drop the songs I want, hit "sync" and let it go. If I drag/drop in iTunes onto my iPod and let it sync, some songs refuse to sync - like there's a bug in the software. It would be nice if you could keep the GUI from iTunes 10.7.x and then have that checkbox feature back. My only gripe about Windows Media Player that iTunes does better - I wish I could set it up so I could choose to convert my songs to a lossy format to save space upon sync. This way I wouldn't need to maintain a separate library for songs I don't really need to hear in lossless quality. I think it lets you convert to MP3, though I couldn't get it to work right, and the bitrate is really crappy (128kbps CBR, and I don't think it uses LAME).

............ So frustrating.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  9. skiddlybop

skiddlybop Forum Resident

why did it take years to to build in level volume when playing tracks?

10. JRiver is for Mac, Windows and Linux. Nothing to do with iOS. That's what JRemote is for.

Here's their forum: INTERACT FORUM - Index

11. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I have the latest version of iTunes and the check boxes are next to every single song.

12. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

I have no issues with the "foundations" of iTunes and iOS integration. However, I don't like how its interface changes drastically "with the wind" (and iOS, as well). Just when I get accustomed to how they work...it changes again.

13. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I'm getting a new iPod Touch either next month or in June so that means iOS 10 will be the newest model for me. I will have to see how iTunes is on that.

14. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

the app sucks

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  15. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

I use iTunes for organising my digital media and it works fine. Never go anywhere near iTunes Music, or Genius or any out their other 'innovations' over the years.

It manages my files well, so I don't end up with duplicates all over the place, syncs to my iPod when I need it, plays remotely to my AV amp when we have parties, what more do I need?

It's not even the huge RAM drain that it used to be!

Oh, and I'm not some Apple fanboy either, if I'd ever found a reasonable alternative (and I've tried a few over the years), I'd have used it.

MikaelaArsenault and OobuJoobu like this.
  16. gary191265

I think most of the time, the problem is in the chair, not the computer...

17. Time Is On My Side

I checked again and have no check boxes for syncing. I'm on v12.6 for Windows.

18. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I'm staying away from Apple Music.

19. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I liked it when Apple devices had an optical drive and I could rip songs to my library via apple lossless.

20. gary191265

Right click in the view window and it gives you the option to display the tick boxes (I think, that's from memory as I'm currently nowhere near my PC)

21. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Ah, OK, I use it on a Mac. I like iTunes and have been using it since 2005 but if I ever went to a Windows environment I likely wouldn't buy or use anything Apple based on cost alone, and also because Apple is doing everything it can to move away from user modification. You can't even do a RAM upgrade to many of their machines now.

22. Aristophanes

Aristophanes Well-Known Member

I dislike anything beginning with “I” especially itunes. It has to do with how apple gets their stuff from slave labor, and their attempt several years ago to sue users who shared music.

Unfortunately one of my sons has an iphone only because his friends do.

23. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I think that iTunes could be so much better. The team that makes it, and Apple Music on iOS, shows time and time again they never ever read the Apple usability guidelines. I really don't understand why other Apple software is nice (sometimes great) and iTunes stays the same kind of cr*p. Maybe because the develop it multiplatform?

Anyway, I'm coping with for years now, because I don't like using multiple programs to manage my music and I'm fond of using my iPhone as a music player. It's basically the main thing I use it for. I even started using Apple Music in December 2017, and as long as you don't switch on iCloud Music Library it will keep your own library untouched. But you have to beware, because some bug in Apple Music will switch iCloud Music Library on by default when your 3 months free trial ends. Switch it off immediately! Side effect is that you cannot like songs and you cannot store songs from Apple Music for offline listening. But I have some 80 GB of my own music on my iPhone, so I'll survive with these limitations.

iTunes does an okay job with organising my library. I'm missing stuff like "original release date" and "reissue release date" fields. Or that you can add the source, like Vinyl, CD, SACD, etc. Or that you can add mastering information. But I'm using the remarks field for all that info, and I'm using smart playlists to make sense of it.

I hate that iTunes gets rather slow with big libraries like mine, and that is sometimes messes up metadata without a clear reason. Until now I managed to get every think back/good by (mostly) chanting to the moon and doing strange re-tag actions a couple of times until the changes stick. But it should really perform better. And it should not block user actions when doing certain activities. And it should not lose its index in the artists or albums views when songs get added or removed from the library.

But still, it works most of the times…

24. Time Is On My Side

Yep I have nothing to display the checkboxes.

EDIT: Figured it out. Thank you for your help.

wavethatflag and gary191265 like this.
  25. gary191265

Edit > Preferences...for anyone else that might have the same problem :)

[​IMG]

wavethatflag and Yost like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.