Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers 2017 "40 Anniversary" Tour Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McCool, Apr 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McCool

McCool Forum Resident Thread Starter

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers' fortieth (well forty-first!) anniversary tour ramps up in Oklahoma City, OK this Thursday. The tour said to be the last of this magnitude for the band will continue through at least September with dates throughout the United States and Canada. The band will also make a brief jaunt over to the UK to play Hyde Park on July 9th. Petty has stated that he intends to dig deep into his catalog to celebrate this momentous anniversary with a setlist that will combine familiar favorites with deeper cuts and obscurities. Petty has also not ruled out the possibility of including some "Mudcrutch" and "Traveling Wilburys" material in the setlists as well. In conjunction with the tour, SiriusXM's "Tom Petty Radio" is holding a special sweepstakes giving fans a chance to win two front row tickets to a Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers concert in city near them. Additionally one grand prize winner will receive a trip for two to Cleveland, Ohio including round-trip airfare and two nights hotel, a VIP tour of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, two FRONT ROW tickets to see Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers live in concert at Quicken Loans Arena on Saturday, June 10 PLUS meet Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers at the show! The grand prize winner will also receive two new vinyl box sets from Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers: “The Complete Studio Albums Volume 1 (1976-1991) and “The Complete Studio Albums Volume 2 (1994-2014) ... both signed by Tom Petty!

Details for this sweepstakes are available through the SiriusXM website: Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers 40th Anniversary Tour Sweepstakes - SiriusXM Radio

Partial tour dates are listed below, not included are the yet to be officially confirmed California dates although it has been announced that Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers will be headlining the KAABOO Del Mar festival which will take place in San Diego, California from September 15-17, 2017.

APRIL 20 CHESAPEAKE ENERGY CENTER OKLAHOMA CITY, OK
    APRIL 22 AMERICAN AIRLINES ARENA DALLAS, TX
    APRIL 23 VERIZON WIRELESS ARENA LITTLE ROCK, AR
    APRIL 25 BRIDGESTONE ARENA NASHVILLE, TN
    APRIL 27 PHILIPS ARENA ATLANTA, GA
    APRIL 29 CYNTHIA WOODS MITCHELL PAVILION HOUSTON, TX
    MAY 2 FRANK ERWIN CENTER AUSTIN, TX
    MAY 5 PERFECT VODKA AMPHITHEATRE WEST PALM BEACH, FL
    MAY 6 AMALIE ARENA TAMPA, FL
    MAY 8 FEDEX FORUM MEMPHIS, TN
    MAY 12 SCOTTRADE CENTER ST. LOUIS, MO
    MAY 13 KLIPSCH MUSIC CENTER INDIANAPOLIS, IN
    MAY 29 RED ROCKS AMPHITHEATRE MORRISON, CO
    MAY 30 RED ROCKS AMPHITHEATRE MORRISON, CO
    JUNE 2 SPRINT CENTER KANSAS CITY, MO
    JUNE 3 XCEL ENERGY CENTER ST. PAUL, MN
    JUNE 5 WELLS FARGO ARENA DES MOINES, IA
    JUNE 7 SCHOTTENSTEIN CENTER COLUMBUS, OH
    JUNE 9 PPG PAINTS ARENA PITTSBURGH, PA
    JUNE 10 QUICKEN LOANS ARENA CLEVELAND, OH
    JUNE 12 US BANK ARENA CINCINNATI, OH
    JUNE 14 XFINITY THEATRE HARTFORD, CT
    JUNE 16 PRUDENTIAL CENTER NEWARK, NJ
    JUNE 17 MOUNTAIN JAM FESTIVAL HUNTER MOUNTAIN, NY
    JUNE 25 - Arroyo Seco Music Festival
    JUNE 29 WRIGLEY FIELD CHICAGO, IL
    JULY 1 WELLS FARGO ARENA PHILADELPHIA, PA
    JULY 2 CMAC PERFORMING ARTS CENTER CANANDAIGUA, NY
    JULY 5 MARCUS AMPHITHEATER- SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE, WI
    JULY 6 MARCUS AMPHITHEATER - SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE, WI

/// JULY 9 HYDE PARK LONDON ///

JULY 18 DTE ENERGY MUSIC THEATRE CLARKSTON, MI
    JULY 20 TD GARDEN BOSTON, MA
    JULY 23 ROYAL FARMS ARENA BALTIMORE, MD
    JULY 26 FOREST HILLS STADIUM QUEENS, NY
    JULY 27 FOREST HILLS STADIUM QUEENS, NY
    JULY 29 WELLS FARGO ARENA PHILADELPHIA, PA
    AUG 17 PEPSI LIVE AT ROGERS ARENA VANCOUVER, BC
    AUG 19 SAFECO FIELD SEATTLE, WA
    ============

Please use this thread to discuss anything related to the tour be it setlists, additional dates, concert reports etc.

2. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Tom Petty never disappoints, simple.

Every album he releases is guaranteed to have at least 5-6 very good tracks.

Tom never lets fans down when he tours as eveidenced by his preparation for this tour.

I look forward to everything involving the guy. Simple.

enro99, Tim 2, loudinny and 2 others like this.
  3. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

IMO the exception to this rule is The Last DJ.

Christopher B, Malina and agentalbert like this.
  4. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Very true. Maybe 1-2 good tracks, but in a career as long as his with as many albums, one dud is forgivable. He's certainly followed it up with very good releases.

I'm eyeing that Austin date. Petty has been great live the two times I've seen him.

noname74 likes this.
  5. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Forum Resident

I'm guessing that he's holding out on confirming California dates until the official Desert Trip 2017 announcement. :cool:

Srsly, 40th anniversary, last tour of this magnitude, etc etc: seems about right, no?

Fullbug, fourfeathers and J_D__ like this.
  6. I assume CD's of the tour -especially those live songs never released before will be a welcomed product of the tour
    Hopefully, he'll 'drop' the entire Wildflowers studio project recordings upon us before the recordings from this tour.

7. Yankeefan01

Yankeefan01 Forum Resident

Just guessing but I wouldn't be surprised if the Deluxe Wildflowers doesn't show up before Christmas.

Deluxe Wildflowers is to Tom Petty as Archives Vol. 2 is to Neil Young.

enro99, Bonddm, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  8. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

I just wish he'd tour the UK. Not just one outdoor gig in London.

9. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

He told Rolling Stone last month he hopes to have the deluxe Wildflowers out by Christmas and tour small places for it in the new year.

10. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

FWIW, I LOVE The Last DJ

Seeing him at Hyde Park, hoping for a nice couple of deep cuts to come out

11. Senor Muddy

Senor Muddy Forum Resident

There are 3 Cailfornia dates announced;

May 27 Napa
    June 24 Pasadena
    Sept 17 San Diego

Looking forward to the Red Rocks shows

12. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

This tour is going to be the musical highlight of my summer! Hitting up two shows so far -- but definitely have a close eye on Desert Trip 2.0 should it materialize. I imagine we might hear something a little closer to (or after) that festival in Pasadena, which the Desert Trip promoters are also putting on.

Can't wait to see these setlists!

Fullbug likes this.
  13. Vince Gill

Vince Gill Forum Resident

Can't wait for the show at Wrigley!

14. kvsawilson

kvsawilson Senior Member

Never seen him in all these years of being a fan, but have tickets and looking forward to the first Red Rocks show.

K

15. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Forum Resident

I'm a little winking about DT'17, but when Tom was first talking about this late last year, it's the first thing I thought about. Who knows?

In the meantime, Arroyo Seco looks to split the difference between Coachella, Nawlins, and the Golden Age of early 21st century indie. I'm calling it Millenichella, and nobody can stop me. :laugh:

I agree that it looks right slick: Tom plays on June 24 along with Alabama Shakes, The Meters, Dawes, Live, Broken Social Scene, Roy Ayers, Preservation Hall Jazz Band, John Mayall, and Jeff Goldblum (!!!). Mumford & Sons headline the next day with Weezer, The Shins, Fitz & the Tantrums, Andrew Bird, The Revivalists, Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real, and David Lindley. And in classic Goldenvoice fashion, the food lineup looks as tasty as the music lineup. These folks really know how to put on a show...which is why I'd still love to see Tom holding down a night at Desert Trip too. :cool:

[​IMG]

One way or another, this really does look like a not-to-be-missed tour.

16. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Yeah, me too. Really solid album.

17. loudinny

loudinny Forum Resident

Gotta disagree, Ive been giving that album a seriously listen since buying box 2, have to say I like it a lot

Saw Tom for the first time back in '77 and have seen him a bunch of times since, lost count... have tickets for the Boston show, can't wait!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  18. Aardvark23

Aardvark23 Forum Resident

Really odd that the 2 Carolinas are being skipped..... We always get a date on his tours.

19. laf848

laf848 Forum Resident

I am going to the Philly show July 1, first time seeing him live in person.

20. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

IMO The Last DJ was the strongest album from TP since Wildflowers.

21. hutchenstance

hutchenstance Well-Known Member

oh..that would be nice...i saw mudcrutch and it was amazing..in a club with 1200 capacity

22. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Peter Wolf is opening a number of the shows. A great performer in his own right.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  23. FangfossFlyer

FangfossFlyer Forum Resident

Me too!

24. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Yep, this one outdoor event in the UK is very disappointing. I'd have thought given the reception he received throughout the RAH shows, and the record sales support over the years, he'd have felt a little more inclined to repeat the Tom Petty concert experience over a few nights again for us rather than a let's get it over with in one go by herding everyone into a field.

windfall and Phil Tate like this.
  25. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Finally saw him live in 2006. I was 12 row at Red Rocks and was totally blown away. Fantastic show with amazing sound quality. Saw him again last summer at the Ogden with Mudcrutch. We were about 20 feet from Tom the entire night. I'll be 6th row at the Rocks this year. Should be a good one!

budwhite likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.