Amazon Warehouse Deals?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by melstapler, Feb 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    Has anyone had experience with items listed under the Amazon Warehouse Deals? Several of the items I've found are DVD and CD titles which have an interesting generic product description which reads or includes phrase such as: "Missing shrink-wrap, activation codes for bonus online content may be missing or expired. Item may come repackaged. Factory Sealed. Small mark on disk."

If the item truly is factory sealed, then there's no way it could also be repackaged. Not to mention, how would they know if there is a small mark on the disc when it's "factory sealed?"

Not to mention, the prices on these Amazon Warehouse Deals don't typically seem to offer much of a discount when compared to the listings of other sellers. In many cases, I've found "new" items for cheaper which aren't listed under the AWD.

I'm curious to know what your experiences have been and whether or not you would recommend taking the risk of purchasing a title listed under AWD.

2. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I think the description is just a catch all for anything they might sell, no one in Amazon land inspected and typed in an individual description for the particular piece of $3 plastic they will send to you. I haven't bought CDs or records but have bought many other warehouse items without complaint. I remember there was another thread on the warehouse deals here once.

Lost In The Flood and melstapler like this.
  3. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

i havent really heard bad things, just that its usually a returned or slightly damaged package.
    the yamaha amp im eyeing is bout 100bucks cheaper via the warehouse deals "used very good" some say original package some say repackage but they all note almost the exact imperfections which makes me think its generic

melstapler likes this.
  4. R. Totale

I've never had a problem where I needed to return anything, but doesn't Az allow returns on Warehouse Deals anyway?

melstapler likes this.
  5. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I bought the AC/DC Backtracks box from them. It was listed as "Very Good" but when I got it it was sealed, with all of the original stickers on the shrinkwrap (obviously not a reseal). The record and all the extras were still sealed. However both live CDs appear to be defective; I'll have to try it on a computer with a good disc drive but I've always had trouble getting those to read all the way through. Because I technically bought it used (and over 6 months ago) I don't know if I can contact the manufacturer and ask for replacements; I'd really like to but I don't know how. Like I said, it wasn't a reseal (or if it was they matched the stickers perfectly) and everything inside that was supposed to be sealed was.

But apart from that (I have bad luck with rare, expensive discs being defective, unfortunately) my experience was positive overall. I'm pretty sure they have a good return policy - if you'll be saving a sizable chunk of change, I'd say bite the bullet and go for it. If it doesn't work out you can always return it.

melstapler likes this.
  6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I've bought WD CDs many times. No major issue yet.

tmtomh and melstapler like this.
  7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

When it says "factory sealed" it usually is, but not always. I'd say maybe 80% of the time if it says factory sealed, it is factory sealed.

I've bought a ton of stuff from Warehouse Deals, and mostly it's a good experience if the price is good in the first place.

black sheriff and melstapler like this.
  8. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist Thread Starter

I want to thank you guys for the info and give a report on two of the AWD items which arrived this past weekend. So far, the two items are box sets and aside from some minor cosmetic blemishes on the outer packaging, the discs themselves have no playback issues and appear to be brand-new and untouched. While some buyers might be quick to return an item due to wear and tear on the cardboard packaging, I see this as a great opportunity to own a discounted title and in some cases, at a fraction of the standard retail price.

Depending on the item, their discount pricing can vary drastically. While I've noticed some instances where titles can be found brand new from other sellers for cheaper than the AWD price, I'd say that 75% of the AWD items are priced fairly and competitively. If you don't mind some slight damages to the packages and some extra adhesive labels added to the packaging by Amazon, this is a great option. :thumbsup:

tmtomh likes this.
  9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

So my lucky streak with WD may have ended recently. After many successful CD orders over a period of years, I recently received two really bad CDs. The cases were completely shattered. One was in a plastic bag and I had to be careful to avoid getting cut to remove the CD and artwork. The other was not in a plastic bag, but the sharp shards had torn through the shrink a lot, ended up getting under the CD and scratching it up.

I contacted Amazon re: issue and they are noting it and credited my account. However, I may be a little gun shy on purchasing WD CDs going forward due to this. Normally they are supposed to inspect these and re-case them if the jewel cases are shattered like that, as well as take CDs out of the system that are scratched. Somewhere there is a breakdown in that process, at least for some items. I have no idea if they plan on going back and removing "bad" items out of the system, but I somehow doubt it.

Just a warning for anyone thinking of buying of WD CDs. I can't speak to any other WD items.

melstapler likes this.
  10. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman

I've had nothing but success with AWD. I specifically look for "damaged packaging" or "will not come in original packaging". Ive never bought anything with "Cosmetic Damage" or from any vendor other than Amazon so can't speak to those... But "will not come in original packaging" is usually in the 'very good' section and often at significant savings...Coupled with the same return policy as Amazon, win-win. If you're a Prime member, just print off label and send back.

*I've also never bought media like CDs, DVDs, vinyl, etc. from AWD

tmtomh and melstapler like this.
  11. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

The only thing I bought from them was a sound base. It works great but came without the cables that were supposed to be included. I have cables so no big deal.

melstapler likes this.
  12. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

Anyone ever buy an item noting some cosmetic damage from awd? Some nice deals on amps but im cautious about the mentioned less than 1/4" x 1/4" imperfections

13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I've bought many many CDs from Warehouse Deals that noted crack/damage to case, and, in fact, had cracks or damage to the case. No big deal. For the savings I'm getting, I don't care and I can supply my own case.

If you are anal retentive and want a pristine copy you don't plan to open (so you can't replace the case), then I recommend steering clear of Warehouse Deals.

14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

You missed the point. I'm happy to replace a case. Not happy when a case is shattered into tiny pieces so that it scratches the **** out of the CD and makes it skip or unplayable. I've bought a ton of stuff over the years from wd. This is not about being anal retentive.

melstapler likes this.
  15. R. Totale

Depends on the item. A 1/4" square flaw on the surface of a CD is bad. A 1/4" square flaw on a vacuum cleaner or a stereo component is trivial.

16. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

A-s801 for some reason they've got one dirt cheap notes 3 cosmetic imperfections but comes in original box
    Suppose it's easy to return if it's a stinker

melstapler likes this.
  17. R. Totale

for ~$140 off of a $900 receiver (which is what I see now) I wouldn't bother if pride of ownership is part of why you spend that much on a stereo component.

melstapler likes this.
  18. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman

Yeah, as long as it's from Amazon, its an easy return. I'm also debating going the cosmetic imperfections route. The prices on the other stuff seem to have risen a bit, maybe everyone is catching on?

melstapler likes this.
  19. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Got it.

I've received lots of CDs from WD that had a crack or two in the case. I've also received the occasional CD where the case was shattered to bits and pretty much the CD and inserts had to be immediately transferred to another case. Luckily, in those cases, the CD itself was still fine. If the CD was scratched up along with the obliterated case, then obviously it would need to be returned.

patient_ot and melstapler like this.
  20. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If you get one where the CD case is shattered, be careful. I almost got cut on the sharp shards of plastic. You also don't want to unwrap those where shards can get on the floor. I made it clear to Amazon that I regard this as a safety issue...let's see if they do anything about it.

George P and melstapler like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.