Michael Nesmith’s “Infinite Tuesday” autobiography arrives April 18th

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AnalogueAndy, Mar 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

True, but it's probably the best known "Blessing" track.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  2. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

I just listened to it, I think it's pretty good

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I would have thought "Just A Little Love" would be more best known but I can't remember if that's under 'Blessing' which I don't think needed to be a contributing factor.

I Really wish they'd have included Propinquity (Drop "Light") and replace Laugh Kills Lonesome with Yellow Butterfly. Also, An edited "Marie's Theme' and bump Life, The Unsuspecting Captive.

Also, I agree Nez's input in the early 70s was a ground breaking foray into Country Rock. The FNB stuff is really good stuff ... needing remastered .. but very good music.

And I think "Tantamount" and "Standard Ranch Stash" are beautifully written and played.

"And The Hits.." is one of his best. Just him and Red. His lyrics were at their peak here and he was tapping into a deep universal music connection. This continued with his fascinating work with "The Prison" and "From A Radio Engine".

The rest of the catalog has it's moments.

To me the man is a musical genius. The work he did while in The Monkees (Mostly Unreleased) and the FNB as I said were laying the ground work into what would become Country Rock.
    The Prison was a fascinating concept but to me the highlight is the music and it's lyrical beauty.
    He then created the concept of MTV while creating a promotional clip for 'Rio'.

He's done a lot and has contributed much to the industry. He deserves the praise. He's earned it. And it had more to do with just being a Monkee .. where technically they were all solo artists anyway if you really think about it beyond Headquarters and PACJ.

Also, the short NPR interview is up and available to listen to. Poor Nez though .. He's gonna be bombarded with Monkees questions in every interview. And yet he's done so much more.

One last thing ... VR now offers a cheaper shipping fee of $3.95. You either missed that or it wasn't available for the vinyl which I'm not sure why it wouldn't have been.

NPR Interview: Michael Nesmith On 'Infinite Tuesday' And Touring With Hendrix

4. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"Just a Little Love" was released as Mike Nesmith-It predates "Blessing"...

That said, I've always wondered why, when The Monkees were hot, Colpix didn't reissue "Until it's Time for You to Go" as a Nesmith "solo" single, the way some of Davy and Micky's pre-Monkees stuff was released... I mentioned "UITFYTG" because it was the most "commercial" song he did as Michael Blessing, and would have stood more of a chance at charting during The Monkees craze than "The New Recruit" or "What Seems to be the Trouble, Officer?"

It also would have made sense for Omnibus or Edan Records to re-release the singles he did for them, they were good records and not too "un-Monkeeish" to appeal to Monkees fans of the time...

Those are two of my favorite albums he recorded... I think I like them even better than The First National Band trilogy... (But, as always, that's subject to change.)

For myself, *any* song featuring input from more than one Monkee is a "real" Monkees track... Be it Peter playing a guitar and Micky singing harmony on a song like "Papa Gene's Blues", Micky singing Peter's written and produced "Tear the Top Right off My Head" or Micky doing the same on Nesmith's "Mary, Mary"... David singing on the Mike produced (and guitar played on) backing track of "Daddy's Song", and so on... But, this subject really should be its own thread ;)

Whether he likes it or not, it's bound to come up because The Monkees were so huge for awhile in the 60s, and had a great resurgence starting in 1986... Even if he wouldn't be asked a direct question about The Monkees/his involvement with them, I could picture an interviewer indirectly asking about them by asking/saying something like "How do you think Monkees fans will respond to your latest project?"...

The Monkees are bound to come up the same way CCR will almost inevitably come up when interviewing John Fogerty, or The Beatles will come up in a McCartney or Ringo interview, or The Rolling Stones would come up while interviewing Jagger or Richards...

905, DmitriKaramazov and D-rock like this.
  5. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Book ordered reviews are great hope it sells well.

Peace and love✌

Grand_Ennui and D-rock like this.
  6. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

At least one attempt was made to do this. "Just A Little Love" (released on Omnibus by "Mike, John and Bill") was reissued as a single on the Edan label credited as "Mike Nesmith" (IIRC). The B-side of the Edan single is "Curson Terrace," an instrumental credited to "Mike & Tony" which some people insist features Nesmith (Nez himself claimed this in an interview with Glenn A. Baker, but was likely "winding him up" as they say). It's probably like the Micky Dolenz solo singles on the Challenge label where Micky is on one side and someone else is on the other side.

empirelvr and Grand_Ennui like this.
  7. Grand_Ennui

That's interesting about "Just a Little Love"-I didn't realize that it was re-released during The Monkees days...

8. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

I'm grateful that someone had the foresight to make dubs of "Just A Little Love," "I've Been Searching," and "How Can You Kiss Me" and bootleg them in later years. It sounds like the pressings were so small that they are candidates for just completely disappearing. They are definitely snapshots of a great musician in his salad days, but very enjoyable songs.

In many ways, it's easy to imagine him dressed as he was in the Monkees pilot, with that 12-string guitar, having just walked on the set from making those records.

cwitt1980, Grand_Ennui and D-rock like this.
  9. Beaneydave

My delivery of the book from Amazon here in the uk had been pushed back :(
    Anyone here know why that would be?

Peace and love✌

10. Flinda

Flinda New Member

I'm in the UK and having problems trying to find a way to get the audio book download. The links from Random house either ask for a US credit card or just don't work here. Any suggestions please ?

11. MagneticNorthpaw

Grand_Ennui and D-rock like this.
  12. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Nevada Fighter and And The Hits Just......
    are both brilliant.

Purchased them as new releases in the early 70s and they both still get regular play in my home.
    YMMV.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Read the book in two days. Very interesting read.

He mentions the Monkees throughout but never goes into character details or his observations of the other 3. He does go into detail about Bob, Bert, Jack, Jimi, Lennon and so on.

Was surprised of all his financial troubles.

He doesn't mention any reunions such as Justus or Good Times or anything about Davy's passing.

He states The Monkees only made one album together, "Headquarters". That's how he ends the Monkees chapter.

One thing seems clear and I hate to think it's true ... but it's apparent when he was being sued by PBS that everything he had was at stake. Enter the 90s reunion (not mentioned in the book). Then he wins the countersuit. So this must have been right about the time he just stopped touring, after the return from the UK.

Anyone else finish the book?

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  14. Grand_Ennui

I haven't picked it up yet... I really need to get to Barnes and Noble and pick up a copy...

15. Grand_Ennui

I'm surprised he didn't consider "PAC&J" as an album they recorded together... Sure, there were more instances of session players on "PAC&J" (mainly drumming plus some banjo picking and Moog playing in addition to Chip Douglas' bass playing), but Mike and Peter both contributed instrumentally to the songs (as did Micky, but only to a song or two), and they all contributed vocally at various times to the various songs, so I myself feel it's a "real" Monkees album, as there was still somewhat of a group dynamic going on, as all four of them worked together for a common cause (the album)... I wonder why he feels it wasn't a group album?

16. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I agree and thought the same about PAC&J and Justus.

Grand_Ennui and j_rocker like this.
  17. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

He probably hasn't read every liner note to every pressing/issue on that album like we have. Should we send him a copy of Andrew's day by day book?

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  18. Beaneydave

Lots of threads on this forum about music I don't like much , and you know what- I don't post in them
    Maybe you should think about that @wiseblood.
    Why get all worked up.

Peace and love✌

19. MagneticNorthpaw

Agreed. He made his opinion known, which is already well-known to many of us from various Good Times! threads. If he doesn't have anything else to say about Infinite Tuesday, move on and don't clog the thread for those of us who want to focus on the book.

20. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

About 30% through my library copy and enjoying this read very much.
    Well written, insightful and often very funny.

Well done so far and look forward to sitting with the dogs, sipping on some bourbon while it storms outside today and finish this book.

D-rock and Pennywise like this.
  21. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Innumerable quotes from both of them saying they both thought it went quite well. And the idea that they were trying to not be "themselves in the solo careers" is ridiculous - if anything, the accepted wisdom (from a critical viewpoint) on both of their solo careers is that Lennon and McCartney were busy being too much themselves, that they lacked the tempering that being in that band provided.

Next?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Hokeyboy likes this.
  22. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

He doesn't have "catchy" hits, so he fails, but I hate hits, and only like cohesive album statements anyhow. Got it. :righton:
    Plastic Ono Band, McCartney, Imagine, Ram... exactly how were they NOT being themselves on these records? Especially POB, which could be the most personal record any Beatle ever recorded?

somnar likes this.
  23. 905

905 Senior Member

Just got this from the library today. So far wonderful!

D-rock likes this.
  24. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Interesting that the book cover has pictures of monkeys. I wouldn't have expected such a cover, but it probably makes the book able to make a quick connection with potential buyers.

25. Grand_Ennui

Very true about "Justus" as well-It's definitely a "real" Monkees album... I didn't mention it in my previous post because from the way it sounds, the whole 90s thing was either ignored (or glossed over in most ways) in his book...

D-rock likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.