Feud: Bette and Joan (FX series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by clashcityrocker, Mar 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Great show!

quicksilverbudie likes this.
  2. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I'm surprised it's still going for at least one more Sunday. Really entertaining, informative and well acted! If they put it out on disc with some nice historical extras I doubt I could resist!

3. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I paused it when they showed the ad Bette Davis put in the classified. Don't know if it was the real ad but the tiny pic on the side was definitely the real Bette! This show has made me do a little digging. I had no idea Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte was supposed to star the 2 of them again (and Joan screwed it up....again!). I wonder if this will be mentioned or maybe we'll see a 2nd season!? I'm definitely down for that!

beccabear67 likes this.
  4. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

There are still four more episodes!

beccabear67 likes this.
  5. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

The second season will be about Prince Charles and Diana.

6. OldSoul

7. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Catherine O'Hara has ruined me for anyone else's Crawford portrayal (seen here beginning at about the 7:40 mark).

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

When I saw this fake old TV clip, I thought, "nawwww... there's no way the real Bette Davis would do something this hokey!" And of course, it was 100% true. Hilarious, sad, and bizarre.

OldSoul likes this.
  9. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

Not long ago, The Hollywood Reporter reprinted Bette Davis's tongue-in-cheek personal advertisement. The makers of Feud: Bette and Joan did a great job in recreating that ad, but I believe it's Sarandon in the first image below. The attention to design details in this series is quite impressive.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

notesofachord, FritzL and OldSoul like this.
  10. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I posted earlier that I thought the picture used in the show was the original, but I stand corrected. At first, I thought they were the same shot, but the cheeks don't match. Incredible that the show put so much effort in recreating it as it was on screen for only a few seconds!

11. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

What a nice surprise to see John Waters in tonight's episode, and that it didn't go to his head. :cool:

12. Gary7704

Gary7704 Chasing that sound….

Great show, I think it will win multiple awards.

Jack likes this.
  13. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Man, Lange and Sarandon are absolutely crushing it! They're such powerhouses that they're dwarfing the good work being done by the other actors in this very fine all star cast. Much like Davis & Crawford, it wouldn't surprise me to see Lange & Sarandon in contention for best actress. As fine a performance as Sarandon has done, I think Lange' s got her beat! I find the reality about aging Hollywood starlets playing aging Hollywood starlets to be fascinating.

Rickchick, DLD, beccabear67 and 2 others like this.
  14. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Great show!
    No. Only 8 episodes.

15. Gary7704

Finale next Sunday. Going to miss it, even the opening animation is well done.

ralphb and audiomixer like this.
  16. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Someone mentioned that next season's going to be about Princess Di and what's his name. This concept doesn't interest me in the slightest. Feels much more exploitive as IMO Princess Di was a straight up victim of her fame. I guess that'll be the point of the show but.....

17. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Um... there were four left when I posted that three weeks ago.... :shrug:

18. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Did anyone else notice that episode was directed by Hellen Hunt?!?!

chacha likes this.
  19. Gary7704

Yes! Was surprised to see that and good for her.

20. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I'm loving the show and really enjoying it. As far as Lange goes, I'm a big fan and enjoying her performance but to me she doesn't feel like Crawford at all. Sarandon feels much more like Davis to me in manner and character. Jessica seems to have created her own version of Crawford which is fine but I never think I'm watching Joan ( and their body types are really different). Catherine Zeta is a bizarre casting choice for Olivia . Fully digging the show though.

beccabear67, ralphb and Damiano54 like this.
  21. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

The opening title animation is fantastic. Love it.

Rickchick likes this.
  22. OldSoul

If I have one big criticism of this show, it's the increasingly infrequent interviews with Joan Blondell and and Olivia de Havilland. They don't appear in whole episodes, it seems, then they suddenly pop up the next one. It's jarring.

23. Gary7704

Also, what's the tie in with those interviews?
    Cant figure it out.

24. OldSoul

I really don't know. At least Olivia is actually part of the story, so her inclusion makes sense. I'm not sure what Joan Blondell's use is, unless these interviews actually happened in 1978 for something. I guess they wanted a way to provide backstory and such. The whole sexist Hollywood system angle is best brought forth through the interviews.

The last two minutes of Sunday's episode had me howling. :D Mamacita leaving, the Coke photoshoot, and Joan in that oxygen tent. Hilarious!

Rickchick likes this.
  25. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I think it's leading up to the last episode circa Joan Crawford's death.

beccabear67 and OldSoul like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.