“A Star Is Born” Remake w/ Lady Gaga, Bradley Cooper To Lead

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by TeacFan, Aug 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Sweet! Can't wait.

lightbulb likes this.
  2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Well, she has the voice to pull this off, but the only question is does she have the acting skills?

audiomixer and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  3. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

She did win an Emmy for the TV show she does.

Edit:

Strike that....not an Emmy. Golden Globe, I mean, for American Horror Story.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I think she's hot. :winkgrin:

5. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I'm waiting for the remake of Annie Hall starring Jonah Hill and Amy Schumer.

MikaelaArsenault and lightbulb like this.
  6. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

That just screams "tax write-off"... :(

7. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

And this doesn't?!? :laughup:

8. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

They have run out of ideas!!!
    Why?!? Why?!? Why?!?
    The Barbra/Kris remake was hideous.

9. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

Interesting in that the Coachhella venue is being utilized between weekend shows. Maybe she is renting Sinatra's Palms pad & hanging in the Springs.

10. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

There is an episode of Gilmore Girls in which Lorelai watches all three versions of A Star is Born (Janet Gaynor, Judy Garland, Barbra Streisand). When I saw this story, I immediately thought of Lorelai and the fact that she would hugely enjoy the kitsch factor of adding a fourth version.

After all, Lorelai had the collector's edition of Showgirls, with the shot glasses included. She loved movies, good and bad alike (and the "A Star is Born" franchise gives us a little bit of both on that front). :cool:

11. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Why?
    Because since it was released 41 years ago, most current movie-goers have probably never seen the Star Is Born version from 1976.
    Ask them who "Barbra/Kris" is, and you may get blank stares.

Which itself was the 3rd version...

Depending on which movie studio has the rights to the story, music etc, this may be less a calculated risk than it seems. Compared to most post-production laden movies that rely heavily on special effects, a recycled love story, if executed well, can entice a few filmgoers.

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The editors I knew in LA in the 1970s were horrified that the last 5-6 minutes of the Barbra Streisand Star Is Born solo song on stage performance was a single shot, no cuts, just a medium close-up of Barbra. I thought it was one of the most self-indulgent moments in movie history, and that's saying something. I watched it when it first came out and kept muttering, "WTF? WTF?" all the way through it.

Chris DeVoe and hi_watt like this.
  13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Whole movie is essentially a love letter to Babs:

A Star Is Born [Blu-Ray Book] (1976)

Same could be said for a few other Streisand flicks, honestly. Not sure why she so often seemed so intent on glorifying herself onscreen - insecurity? - but "Star Is Born" becomes one of the more egregious and ludicrous examples in her filmography...

MikaelaArsenault and audiomixer like this.
  14. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

So are we saying Elvis dodged a bullet here, and the Colonel did him a favor? :p

15. Oatsdad

Probably, but who knows? If Elvis stars in "ASIB" with Babs, maybe this alters his career trajectory - for all we know, the movie is the butterfly flapping its wings that prevents Elvis's death the following year! :shrug:

It's also possible a "Star Is Born" with Elvis is less Babs-centric, as Elvis had his own ego to feed. The movie may've worked better with Elvis in the lead - he had more star power than KK and would've better been able to stand up to Le Streisand...

16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Never seen any version of the movie. I've heard of the Streisand/Kristofferson one, but until this thread, had no idea there were earlier ones. Not really a Barbara fan, so I've had no interest in seeing it, but I might see this. I like Cooper and Gaga Germanotta.

17. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Last night, I was watching Gaga's Coachella set.

Comments I made on twitter:
    She looks great. But she's either not feeling well or else they've not quite worked everything out for new tour. The between-song banter and the transitions are awkward. Weird pauses. And when she speaks, she almost sounds like has a cold.​

Someone mentioned that she was filming this movie - the first I had heard of it. Exhaustion makes sense for what I was seeing. She wasn't mailing it in (she never does). She just didn't seem 100%.

I hope the movie's a success. I like her very much.

18. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Don't get this at all - It's not like A Star is Born is such a compelling story that it needs to be retold once every generation.

:shrug:

19. Oatsdad

I don't know if there's any story that needs to be told every generation, but obviously this one has had long-term appeal or they wouldn't keep making it... :shrug:

Dudley Morris likes this.
  20. junk

junk Hellion

Exactly.

21. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Besides, at least one new "star" is born every generation or so. ;)

22. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

The story is creaky, by now and is & has been a vehicle for singer/actors. The original 1937 w/Janet Gaynor was an early 3 strip Technicolor drama, no songs.

23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

you know it was just a matter of time.

next you will be reading how she is the new barbara streisand.

and then on meryl...................

driverdrummer likes this.
  24. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

My wife is seeing a very early sneak of this tonight. She had to sign a non-disclosure agreement and submit to a bag search, a metal detector wanding and surrender her cell phone.

Bradley Cooper is not just acting, but directing.

driverdrummer and Encuentro like this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

While my wife had to sign an NDA, I'm pretty sure that doesn't cover discussing the movie with her husband. She enjoyed it. The story is the same one told three times before - big star discovers nobody, helps nobody become big star, big star can't handle it.

She thought Stefani Germanotta was quite decent in this film, but thought the script had some structural issues.

They recruited for a focus group, but they had no interest in hearing the opinion of a sixty year old woman and asked the only person in the theater (and possibly the world) who had seen more than four hundred films this year to leave.

Ageist jerks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.