Record Store Day 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I think a lot of people who run record stores are music enthusiasts foremost and not competent businessmen. Sounds like that chain is heading for bankruptcy. You take the full hit on those RSD specials if they don't sell quickly. Even some desirable titles are still around in quantity from last year or even previous years.

mooseman likes this.
  2. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Hadn't looked at the RSD list in a few weeks until yesterday and I'm glad I checked back. There's things I missed that will get me in line a little earlier than previously planned.

I'm a music lover but I'm also a music collector and I absolutely love talking to folks while I'm waiting in line. It's not a chore. I love the special RSD pricing on regular inventory, the free stuff, the live music, the food and drink and the smiles on store owner faces at least for a day or two.

Why anyone would have a problem with this type of promotion a couple days a year is beyond me. Or why anyone would not understand why I'll be there before the doors open. Maybe I'm too old to understand that line of reasoning. Some of us look at it as a national holiday...a big deal.

See you in line Saturday morning, or at the second store I'll be visiting later in the day. If you get there before I do save me a "Jason Isbell at Welcome to 1979", or the Kinks 7-inch EPs...or the RL Burnside...or the Beatles single...or the Spoon...

I know I could probably get them later through my computer but it's not, not, not the same thing. You gotta get out of the house sometimes.

3. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Could any kind person in the UK help me out by purchasing The The – ‘You Can't Stop What's Coming’ 7” single? I will of course pay all costs and am happy to do the same if you’re after any US only releases.

Many thanks!

backeast likes this.
  4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Isn't that the truth! Someone like a Mark Fremer should go to his place and do an on location shoot, showing off speical elements of his collection. They both have huge egos though, so that would be interesting. An obvious interview on that subject though, and he seems to really enjoy the topic. I would love to see what table and hardware he uses too! I bet he would do it with the right interviewer. Mikie??

5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

For all my bashing of RSD, now the tables turn. Friday (from ABBA) has a vinyl edition of her new album (that I didn't even know about) coming out for RSD and only 1500 copies are being pressed. Interesting how that makes me want to go now! What a hypocrite I am...lol. But it does lead me to another point I keep making. I wonder how many people know who she even is by name? Some here will, but I think 99.9% of people will look at the cover and shake their heads, just like I do when I look at all those titles from artists I have never heard of. You have to wonder how the inside process works in deciding on what to release. And, it's hard to argue with the point that SO many titles seem to sit unsold. Not our problem, of course, but I just hate seeing waste when there are so many other "safe" releases they could do, especially all the classic late 80's and 90's titles that have never seen a vinyl release.

6. I assume you mean Frida? :tiphat: Which album?

7. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Funny this album was singled out by another user as something stupid that is ruining RSD.

oneslip17 and e.s. like this.
  8. Trace

Trace Senior Member

Some people are just negative and miserable all the time, and they seem to want to make everyone around them feel the same. I feel bad for them...

9. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

10. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Sometimes auto-correct gets the best of you :yikes:

11. Oh I get it. I always have typo's here. I'm horrible

pghmusiclover likes this.
  12. 1ifbyrain2ifbytrain

1ifbyrain2ifbytrain Forum Resident

"Gargles in the rat race choir
    Bent out of shape from society’s pliers
    Cares not to come up any higher
    But rather get you down in the hole
    That he’s in" -2016 Nobel Laureate

13. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Contrarians are a major problem in our culture. They instantly take an opposing viewpoint no matter what the topic is, Like they are doing the world a favor by endlessly playing devils advocate.

hamicle, eddiel and e.s. like this.
  14. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

No, they're not. No, they don't. They are!

BNell and Ricardo Cosinaro like this.
  15. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Of course, the difference is that the RSD version was red vinyl, and the wide release is on standard black vinyl.

16. Jaffboy151

Jaffboy151 Well-Known Member

What do people think the odds on that The Cure - greatest hits & acoustic hits will get a general release after RSD 2017, I'm going to try and get copies in Manchester on Saturday but don't hold out much luck, I missed out on Ian Brown's solorized vinyl on RSD 2016, that never had a general release despite a much talked about coloured Vinyl later that year, had to stump up £50 for a copy in the end..
    I have Cure - standing on a beach & Galore compilations on vinyl but have always like the later greatest hits collection I have on cd, specially the acoustic set.

17. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

You didn't have to - if you'd waited until shops started selling online you'd have very easily got it for retail. Lots of shops couldn't get rid of their stock of it! Look how many copies are still up for sale on Discogs.

It's stuff like that that makes RSD laughable - there was simply no demand for it (as it's a **** later period Brown solo album). There were "only" 2000 copies, and there will still be copies of it lying around in record shops across Europe. Yes, places like Piccadilly Records sold out quick - but they only has a small allocation. Similarly, a ltd gold vinyl edition of Golden Greats was released last year, and most shops couldn't shift their stock of that either.

18. MEMark

MEMark Forum Resident

I see that Luna's Penthouse will be a RSD exclusive that includes a 2nd LP of extras. Is there any reason to think a single LP with just Penthouse proper would be released later this year? Or should I assume that this 2-LP set is my one shot at getting reissued Penthouse on vinyl? Many thanks!

19. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

Considering the Luna is not listed in the "RSD first release" category, I'd play it safe and assume this is your one shot.

eddiel and MEMark like this.
  20. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I think they're the 2015 remixes

e.s. likes this.
  21. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

I know Chris has been putting up some RSD videos, but they are too ... esoteric (for lack of a better word) for my taste. Will he be posting an "all inclusive" video similar to ones he's done in the past? Perhaps he has already? Those really gave me the "gotta have it" fever so maybe it's better if I miss it this year!

22. redflag

redflag Forum Resident

I certainly hope so! I had no idea who Luna were back in the day and I saw a promo CD copy of Penthouse in the 99 cent bin while out and about. It became one of my favorite albums. Would love to have a clean copy on vinyl.

MEMark likes this.
  23. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

In the last video, he said he will be doing his usual, more comprehensive RSD video sometime this week.

rswitzer likes this.
  24. MEMark

MEMark Forum Resident

It's pretty great. If you haven't yet, check out Bewitched as well. Great on CD and apparently the reissued LP from a few yrs ago is very good, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.