An Oldies Forum?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Lux, Apr 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

So that means pretty much all music then?

2. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

we all choose to be here. no one is forcing us. as for "kendric the rapper" (aka Kendrick Lamar), I'm sure he doesn't care what this forum thinks. he's still one of the hottest things around right now...bigger than the beatles, in fact.

3. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Those darn Beatles.

4. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

Please be advised. Protests are erupting across this forum. People are burning iphones with Lamar"s music on them. Reply thst you weren"t suggesting that Lamar is better or greater than Beatles. Just say something like " what I said was wrong or taken wrong and now it,s all this."

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    Terrapin Station likes this.
  5. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I know you are being tongue in cheek, but the fact of the matter is that, at this moment in time, Kendrick Lamar is undoubtedly bigger than the Beatles. that's not even a controversial statement.

Vinyl Addict, Gaslight and Andrew J like this.
  6. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

This is a thread I'd like to see created here. I'm sure it would go over well.

[​IMG]

7. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

The irony
    More popular than Jesus - Wikipedia

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    eric777 likes this.
  8. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

That is correct. It's taken over 15 million posts to get here but this is where we've finally arrived : All music sucks.
    Let's pack up, folks... I think we're done here.

D.D.

9. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

You laugh, but I've seen this attitude her way more time than I would expect. Apparently a surprising number of self-professed music fans actually kind of hate music. Not even in the sense of "there's nothing good anymore," but more like "it all sucks."

10. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

11. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Music still ends up finding its audience whether it deliberately attempts to or not. Consciously or subconsciously, it resonates with the listeners who are on the same emotional wavelength with the creator. It just happens that way. And if someone says he can't find any meaning in modern music, it says more about himself than the music.

12. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd Thread Starter

With all due respect, I was there and yes they were.

Even my G.I. generation knew the names. My mom called one day when I moved up to San Francisco in '69:

"Brian, you left a roll of posters here. Do you want us to save them."

"Oh? Which ones?"

"Well let's see, here's one of Jimi Hendrix and ..."

"YES! SAVE THEM!"

They were both Glen Miller fans. Couldn't care less about rock and roll stars but like many others even their age, knew who they were.

Another example- went to see my Aunt in the city even earlier- probably around '66. Noticed my cousin had some cool records. My aunt said, "Oh yeah, she loves Bobby Dylan and Janis Joplin.

Big names. Everybody knew them.

13. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

A stopped forum is right twice a day.

Vinyl Addict and eddiel like this.
  14. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd Thread Starter

:sigh: (Closest thing I could find to "scratching my head" emoticon.)

15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

What an obnoxious post! You have no idea why that Kendrick Lamar went missing. It could have been that 1% of this forum decided to thread crap on it. You also have no idea what percentage of the forum cares about it.

16. Grant

Sad, but true.

That's because they don't want to be around younger people using Facebook.

Not necessarily.

17. Grant

But, the forum needs to have some respect, or at least tolerance for threads about music they don't like. This is a place where all music can be discussed, and the majority is not going to bully those who don't discuss classic rock. They used to bully anyone who would dare discuss rap and R&B, but now that there is a lot of people here who like that music, the rockers are going to have to show some PC! That's right! R-E-S-P-E-C-T-!

ralphb, Vinyl Addict and ibanez_ax like this.
  18. Grant

Or a 50-year-old man feels like he still has to prove your manhood to his high school buddies by bashing anything that isn't guitar rock.

19. No music means anything to those who have no involvement in the subject matter.

All genres and all eras of music are generic, sound the same and have no variety until you start listening.

pickwick33 and eric777 like this.
  20. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Who is Kendrick Lamar?

21. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I had the same question but was too ashamed to ask. :agree:

starduster likes this.
  22. Chris Schoen

Well, admittedly, I don't know anything about current popular music. Nothing.
    But if something is "bigger than the Beatles"... I would be interested, at least.

eric777 likes this.
  23. Chris Schoen

Is it too late for him to change his name to Lamar Kendrick? That sounds so much better.

24. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Yep. And what would be gained by segregating for example Bennie Goodman from Stan Kenton or Bach from Strauss and Berlioz on a strict older/newer basis?

25. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

And vanilla ice was at one point undoubtedly bigger than Mozart, so there's that.

lucan_g and starduster like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.