An Oldies Forum?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Lux, Apr 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Ya, but when I say that to myself, it's just time to play something else...

2. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

I know lots of artists personally who have never had that thought in their lives.

3. Scott S.

Oh sure, they wrote A Day In The Life to sell something, after all, they needed the money.

broshfab4 likes this.
  4. Scott S.

Does anybody really say they don't find any meaning in modern music or do they mainly say the quality isn't as good?

5. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

If you recall, I was originally responding to maccafan who said "It meant something, what music today means anything?" So yes, obviously they do.

6. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

[​IMG]

Let us know if there's anything else we can do to help.

D.D.

7. Meddler

Meddler Forum Resident

I used to think that I like music. But then somebody pointed out to me that the amount of music I dislike is so much larger than the amount I like, it makes the amount I like statistically insignificant. So I came to realize that I don't like music.

8. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

"Is it too late for him to change his name to John Elton? That sounds so much better."

BrutandCharisma and Vinyl Addict like this.
  9. pickwick33

It sorta doesn't matter. The Beatles made their mark. Kendrick is still making his.

You gotta judge these artists by their peers, not their predecessors.

10. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I have to admit, I am quite enjoying this thread.
    I'm also tired of getting **** on over my musical tastes on this forum. I love this place, but it seems as though some of the older members still need to "grow up".
    Regardless of what thread it is, if the answer isn't something from the 60s, then it's the wrong answer.
    I'd love it if people would respect other people's tastes around here. Participate in a thread if it's something you are interested in, if not, onto the next thread title. Simple, yes?
    The 90s+ music threads don't get traction because they just turn into a huge threadcrap by every Beatles fan on SHtv. It's a sad thing to see on a music lovers forum. It really is.

Yet, when one guy says one bad thing about thier "fab4", then it's a whole different ballgame. It's not right, and it should be inforced on here as far as I'm concerned.
    Nothing good to say in the thread? Move along. It's pretty simple really.
    It's not THAT hard to not be ignorant.

11. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

On the other hand, some of us don't only like the Beatles, Stones, etc. Whenever people make those arguments re "Such and such time was great because you don't remember the crap that was on the charts," I find it kind of frustrating, because a lot of the stuff that they're thinking of as crap is stuff that I like a lot. I like Herb Alpert, for example. I like a lot of pop music, including a lot of bubblegum pop. I like a lot of contemporary pop/bubblegum/teen pop, too. I don't think that the later 90s/early 2000s were bad because of the Backstreet Boys and NSYNC. I think that the Backstreet Boys and NSYNC were a couple of the better artists of that era. I like all sorts of music.

12. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

I'd bet it's all down to the separation that naturally occurs as most acts fade from mind, as the years tick by, while a few endure. You can easily detect that in hip hop music, with a short list of classics congealing into a "canon" while other artists continue to innovate hoping to join that short list. So, It Takes a Nation of Millions... or Raising Hell or Paul's Boutique, versus Illmatic, Stankonia, Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers), Ready to Die, Doggystyle, etc. And the current generation is still making their marks: Kayne, Kendrick, Future, and the youngsters, like Rae Sremmurd, Migos, etc. (Sorry, if that progression didn't work for you.)

This forum skews toward the music that has meant the most to us over the years, which is no bad thing as far as I'm concerned. :righton:

13. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Didn't mean to offend the fans of the Monkees or Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. I don't think either act made particularly memorable music, but I like some of the singles and I actually own More of the Monkees and Going Places (I think that's what it's called). As for Backstreet Boys, I have somehow managed to see them three times - twice with my daughters during their heyday, and once in 2007 or so, when they played the F-1 Grand Prix in Singapore. The one at Tokyo Dome around 2001 or so was the worst - all the background vocals were piped in, and I was surrounded by 55,000 screaming elementary and middle school girls and their parents. It was terrifying. I do, however, sometimes sing "As Long as You Love Me" when we go out to karaoke. That's an easy one.

Terrapin Station likes this.
  14. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

I believe this is a reference to "Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day," quote from the great cult movie Withnail and I. Brian, if you havent seen this you must. It is a British black comefy set in London in late 60s. Came out end of the 80s.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    xilef regnu and Brian Lux like this.
  15. Terrapin Station

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day . . . unless it's on military time. But still, at least once a day.

Grant and Andrew J like this.
  16. Terrapin Station

Some new music by an oldie:

strummer101 likes this.
  17. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd Thread Starter

Sounds great! Thanks, Andrew. I will check it out for sure.

Andrew J likes this.
  18. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

That should make it easier.

19. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

Sounds to me a bit like if I rented an apartment with a fan of a movie that initially I liked but had ended up seeing thousand times. Flatmate only wants to watch this movie, and no others, except for cutting room outtakes and any paraphernalia / artifacts associated with it. Flatmate insists on total reverence to each spoken piece of dialogue, every frame. When I eventually manage to get a different movie on the screen, flatmate yodels through the whole thing.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  20. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

"One can't love it all"...an interesting point. Because I often feel like, after reading passionate comments about certain artists around here, that I'm "suppose to". It's amazing how many artists, despite your statement, that I try and "force" myself to like just because of the enthusiasm of others around here, especially the icons the OP brings up. Dylan is a great example. He was never on my radar until I read about him here (and I'm 56 now but always thought of him as someone that couldn't sing...that was it as far as he was concerned. What I didn't know is his singing is beside the point for most fans). Because he is revered here, I keep buying his material and I keep not connecting with him. I even started a thread about that issue, and some said the same thing....that you either get it or you don't with Dylan. And the biggest mystery of them all, and one where I know you had to be there to appreciate it, is the Beatles! I have plenty of their vinyl, but at the end of the day I don't ever play it. And, I like 60's music though it isn't my absolute favorite genre. I feel like I'm "supposed" to like those iconic artists, but I guess I've come to the conclusion you stated. You can't love them all...and maybe that's okay. I wish I could!

Terrapin Station and Grant like this.
  21. BrutandCharisma

BrutandCharisma Forum Resident

I like oldies. I like a lot of new music. A LOT of new music.

But I couldn't pick Kendrick Lamar out of a Czechoslovakian polka band.

Andrew J likes this.
  22. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

:laugh: Let's start with better odds. Hint, One of these guys is Barack Obama.
    [​IMG]

23. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

You and anyone can start a thread on contemporary music, blues, 60's rock what ever. So do it. Nothing is stopping you. As an old fart, most contemporary music does not interest me. My kids may have a different take.

So start threads on your favorite contemporary artists. Build a following.
    Maybe you will ensnare me.

24. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I get what you're saying! There have been times where I tried to like certain artists/bands just because I thought I was supposed to as a music lover. But, as hard as I tried, I just couldn't get into them. So, I gave up. Emerson, Lake & Palmer, The Band...I have no use for. Our brains just filter music in different ways. Our early environments and life experiences influence what we like and dislike. Our sociopolitical biases play a role. In short, if something just doesn't activate the pleasure centers in your brain, there's no point in trying to force it. No goading from the forumites will change that. If someone doesn't like The Beatles, or mono, or whatever, don't bully or troll, just move on, for chrissakes!

Zeki, bob60, ibanez_ax and 2 others like this.
  25. pickwick33

You forgot to mention the lesser acts that fell by the wayside, like MC Hammer or Kris Kross.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.