Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary editions to be released May 26, 2017* Anticipation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JOSERENATO, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Klassik

Klassik Guerilla BeatLOLogist

Totally. I mean I was quite flabbergasted when it turned out that The Fabs had been about mono, really. In my world, it had always been about them being 'masters of stereo' and, basically, having set stereo in its prime power.
    Now it seems that really what happened was that they started panning everything for the stereo but considered the mono the actual thing they were working on.

It is true that the stereo is idiosyncratic but would I have missed out on a moment (a similar one described later, at least when I read it, by McCartney) where you're at a party enthusing about Beatles tracks and ''I love this bit coming up' disappears because the speaker it's on is in a different room? Not for a million!
    This was BEFORE Anthology and the guys I was with started speculating that we had some rare copy with a different mix. That's jazz cigarettes fer ya. :p

I mean, this is REALLY what stereo is about, not some auto-panning reverb effects unit giving a slight stereo shimmer to an 'in the middle' mix.
    We need more drums in the left, people! :p

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Well George grew a mustache early in India, Ran out of Gillettes no doubt. :)

Klassik likes this.
  3. Klassik

Klassik Guerilla BeatLOLogist

Well-remembered.
    In Hunter's book the talk about moustaches is all about 'It's like with anything. They copy each other'.
    Paul adopted the moped reason in order to revive PID-talk, I'm sure of it. He's done this at intervals because PID was something he played with since the days of Epstein and others sixties managers constantly having to deny two varieties of rumour, the 'split imminent' rumour and the 'one of them is dead' rumour.
    It must have been a running joke among them and the Stones with also Jagger regularly reported dead. I'll bet Paul started smoking that one up.

ODIrony and alexpop like this.
  4. mrdon

mrdon Senior Member

The LPIT version of course!

5. alexpop

Well Lennon played up to this game with Glass Onion, or Walrus ...get the rock journalists thinking about the lyrics ala Dylan.

Klassik likes this.
  6. alexpop

Well Paul got a chance to rewrite, or down play all that stuff. And you know "The Beatles were a great little band ':)

7. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

A splendid time is guaranteed for all who can afford it.

8. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

Yeah, listening on studio monitors to stereo mixes was great. Made me realize that 87 CDs were not that bad sounding. But most of my listening is done on headphones these days. If one can make a mix which would be pleasing on serious speakers and headphones - why not? That is why I can't wait for the new box too.

ODIrony likes this.
  9. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Pink Floyd were nearby with 'Piper at the Gates of Dawn' I believe.

In my opinion, it would felt have like more of a 'concept album' if Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane were included and Within You Without You was dropped (not that I don't like this track very much). Those two singles refer directly or obliquely to a time 20 or so years before which seems to fit right in.

Thanks for all that. That is what I tune in for :)

jeighson1, ParloFax and alexpop like this.
  10. alexpop

Tune in 2 appreciated. :)

11. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Yes they were and also popped into meet the fabs while they were recording "Lovely Rita"

andrewskyDE likes this.
  12. Written in true "Beatle Code", so the unworthy are unaware! :)

13. alexpop

YKMNLUTN:)

14. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

With all this talk of Carnival of Light appearing as a hidden track on the box, I think it's much more likely that we'll get a hidden extended version of the inner groove dialogue--a surprise just like the original record. Does Lewisohn state the original tape is still at Abbey Road?

15. evilpants

evilpants Forum Resident

We've seen really clearly that people who are permanently in the public spotlight start to merge their own memories with popular cultural memories. It's something Mark Lewisohn discusses a lot - people ask him about interviewing the remaining Beatles and he says they're the people he's least interested in interviewing to get a true picture, because they've told their stories so often, the stories themselves become warped, twisted and accidentally fabricated.

It's not something Paul does deliberately - although he does have a habit of saying "we did [thing]" when he actually means "I did [thing]" - you can compare those comments in his interviews with recorded history and note that he gets his own stories mixed up with stories about people who were around him. But aside from that, it is a natural feature of memory that if you hear a story repeated, and if you repeat a story, often enough, you will begin to actually alter your own memory. That's one way that police have been able to coerce confessions out of innocent people, for example, and it's a phenomenon that psychologists have demonstrated numerous times - you can literally alter someone's personal memory by repeating it slightly differently time and time again.

So, I'm not saying Paul is lying about the runout groove - but I am saying that we can't take that off-the-cuff comment as confirmation. What he did was a thing he does all the time in interviews - he sort of "acts out" the story he's telling, and when he does that he often exaggerates or reduces the story to the bare bones. Take the famous "er - it's the Beatles, love" comment about Yoko calling "the Beatles" "Beatles". He acts as if he actually said those words, but he's never ever said that. He's acting out what he felt and thought. It's an extremely common feature of Paul's interviews, and I think a lot of people confuse Paul's "representative acting" as if he's giving a true and correct version of events.

In this case, he might be saying the actual words that are in the runout groove. But I think true source analysis must result in us saying "no, this isn't confirmation" - we've got decades of experience of Paul misremembering things, and of Paul telling "stories" that are basically summaries of events told as if they're verbatim recollections.

None of this is even a tiny criticism of Paul. Imagine the weight of history that he carries, and imagine how many thousands of times he's talked about Sgt. Pepper. I give him a pass on every single error of memory, but I also don't trust his own recollections at all. That lack of trust is also an expression of deep respect: the man is a walking piece of history. But he's not a history book.

And none of this is to say Paul is wrong - it's just to say, even with someone who was in the middle of events, we need to apply objective source analysis. If we do that with this comment, all it does is add a 'plus' to evidence, rather than act as confirmation of it.

Blimey that was longer than I expected it to be :)

16. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Not sure I agree with this. Many sound engineers believe in using L-C-R mixing. Typically the bass, vocals, and snare are dead center, and things like guitars, keys, drum overheads, room mics and other elements are pretty hard panned at 9 and 3. That is somewhat an oversimplification, but it's much easier to get the vocals sit sit well in the mix when they aren't competing for frequency space with guitars and keys.

Shaddam IV and alexpop like this.
  17. alexpop

Blu ray easter eggs would be fab.

18. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Agreed on some of your points. However, the inner groove is not a "story" about the recording, it's the recording itself, and I'm convinced Paul hears what is actually there, just as John heard "cranberry sauce" to contradict that myth. All of this my own opinion of course.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    evilpants likes this.
  19. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Again, nothing against Lewisohn as he's a great researcher.
    But I think it would have helped if he had someone helping him while he was doing "Recording Sessions" who had a better handle on both recording techniques and music appreciation/understanding.

20. "Turn me on, dead man."

Wingsfan2012 and Keith V like this.
  21. I listen to mono, stereo, and surround (5.1). All of them have their positives and their limitations. None are intrinsically better than the others, just different.

22. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Monsiour Monsiour how bout another one (Paul is dead miss him miss him)

ODIrony, Bern and Bingo Bongo like this.
  23. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Considering it was made with 8 track a remixed Abbey Road could be interesting

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  24. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

looks like none of the editions on Amazon come with a free Autorip copy with purchase.:shake:

25. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Speaking of Giles, I don't know if already posted but it sounds like there is a NYC "Pepper 50" listening party on the 28th. Probably very similar to the London event nearly two weeks ago!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.