Alanis Morissette- Jagged Little Pill 20th Anniversary 2-disc and 4-disc editions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Mar 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. applecakes

applecakes viva la vinyl

I really enjoy the official video version for 'you learn'. Is it available anywhere for audio or video purchase???

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

applecakes likes this.
  3. Jay Monk

Jay Monk Member

I have the HDTracks 24/96 Jagged Little Pill Collector's Edition, and I can vouch that it sounds awesome. Well-balanced sound, no compression or clipping that I can hear. Bass is awesome and rumbles my living room floor.

Having said that - I still prefer the compressed, brighten original version of the song, "You Oughta Know" ... the compressed, tense sound just adds something to the angry, slightly psychotic attitude of the song.

coniferouspine and Galley like this.
  4. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

OMG! This was SO good!!

Jay Monk and longdist01 like this.
  5. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

The DR database shows that the 24/96 is DR8 while the 24/192 is DR12, both HDTracks.
    Are there two 24/96 options from HDTracks?

Album list - Dynamic Range Database ยป

6. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

According to this thread, the hi-rez versions of Jagged Pill (Collector's Edition) are way less compressed than the CD version.

HDTracks describes this release as upsampled from a 44kHz source to 96kHz. But HDTracks offers 96/24 and 192/24 versions of this release.

Is there any reason to get the 192/24 version? Would that just be an upsampled version of the 96/24 version? I thought HDTracks tried to remove from its site 192/24 versions if they determined that they are just upsampled from 96/24.

From HDTracks' page for this release: "Notes: tracks 1-14 & 24-36 are 44kHz sources mastered to 96kHz/24bit. Tracks 14-23 & 37-48 are 44kHz/16bit files."

7. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

It's my favorite version of the song too. It's a b-side of a few JLP-era import singles, I think "Head Over Feet" and possibly one or two others (they recycled a lot of live/acoustic tracks for different single releases around that time). I really thought they should've included the whole show in the JLP anniversary edition instead of the one they did use...it's a much better recording and a more polished, confident performance.

8. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I'd happily buy a Jagged concert DVD, Unplugged DVD, music video DVD with commentary track and the rumoured autobiography.

9. PaulKTF

Seconded on all accounts! Take our money, Alanis! :)

10. walrus

Yeah. I don't remember much about the Jagged Little Pill Live release other than it was borderline unwatchable. I would love a complete Unplugged video someday too.

11. PaulKTF

There was a lot of annoying cutting between the behind the scenes stuff and live footage. I haven't seen it in awhile and I don't even remember if the songs were complete or just clips.

12. walrus

Clips, or "complete" songs cut together from entirely different-sounding performances and sources. I oddly remember it being one of the first DVD releases I ever saw in a store, though.

13. PaulKTF

Oh that's right! I think it was released on DVD in 1997 (?) or definitely by 1998.

14. PaulKTF

15. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I'm glad that at least one of the hi-rez options has full dynamics, even if it does require one to pay extra for resolution that doesn't exist in the original recordings, but given the limits of the original recording, is the new remaster any better than the original CD? Wasn't that mastered by Chris Bellman?

16. PaulKTF

Regarding the Live On Radio 3 VARA Holland June 9, 1995 content that's exclusive to the Target edition of the Deluxe Edition...

I wanted to note that the front sticker lists all 7 bonus tracks, but the back track listing only lists 6 (at least on my copy):

Head Over Feet
    Right Through You
    Forgiven
    Perfect
    Not The Doctor
    You Learn

Even though it only lists those six tracks, Hand In My Pocket from these sessions is included after You Learn on it's own track. So maybe it's only missing from the track listing because of a typo.

I wish they'd included the 38th annual Grammy Awards live performance of You Oughta Know. I always liked that one.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  17. PaulKTF

It's not available on DVD. I wish she'd put out a music video collection on DVD/Blu-Ray.

18. PaulKTF

Alanis performs "You Learn" on Good Morning America" to promote the re-release of JLP:

I just thought it was a nice performance and wanted to share. :)

19. PaulKTF

A radio interview with Alanis from August of 1995 just as You Oughta Know was blowing up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.