Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary editions to be released May 26, 2017* Anticipation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JOSERENATO, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Because the Beatles totally didn't record a White Album-era track called "F--- A Duckie" or anything.

NothingBrightAboutIt and Solaris like this.
  2. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

A few brief observations.

Some of the new Pepper 2017 bonus tracks, examples - the SFF take 1 with restored backround vocals, the alternate Fixing a hole from Regent sound

Those are the type of likely candidates for an expanded Beatles Anthology or Anthology vol 4... So the new Pepper bonus reduces the pool of interesting available archive material for any further Anthology.

2nd digressing slightly, a couple posters said that, Revolver was done in the same manner as Sgt Pepper, bouncing down to additional 4 track machines. I don't really hear enough instrumentation on most Revolver tracks for that to be true, is it true ? That Revolver used multiple 4 tracks on the whole album or most of it ?

3rd if you play the 5.1 mixes on your Blu-ray hooked to the tv, do you hear a stereo fold down of the 5.1 ?

ODIrony likes this.
  3. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

.... you little quack!

4. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

I think run out groove doesn't make sense. Some female voice says on repeat: "ever couls be any other way NE..." (couls sounding like could but with s at the end). Some male voice quieter does "ta-ta-ta-ta" ascending melodic passage.

5. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

It's not a female voice, and it's "could". Maybe one of the other Beatle voices is making you hear an "s" sound. :shrug:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    Onder likes this.
  6. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I think what people forget is what "concept album" means, in today's society it means a album with a story, but at it's purest form a concept album means an album with an overlaying theme. Sinatra's concept albums didn't have stories, they just had a theme that held them together. The concept of Pepper, is that they pretended to be an imaginary band. As none of the songs sound pretty much like anything they had done before, then I think they pulled off that concept.

7. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

When "GTGYIML" was a huge hit the summer of '76 was that just lifted from Revolver or did that get an updated mix? My memory was it was just the "standard" version.

[​IMG]

8. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

I like that the concept of Pepper is not strict or too literal. Thatt allows more room for interpretation and imagination. I personally find most concept albums with detailed story lines to be a bit tedious - especially when the concept overtakes the music. Pepper is the total opposite, it's all about the music.

Sean Murdock, ODIrony, voles and 4 others like this.
  9. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

A great masterpiece of 1967 and a great could-have-been of 2011, sadly.

crispi and The Ole' Rocker like this.
  10. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

who knows. I tried listening just so, in reverse, slowing down with pitch shifting and without. Never made sense to me.

11. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

Yes, it would reduce the pool of material for a possible fourth Anthology unless we got similar bonus material for most or all of the other albums in box sets like this one. Then no Anthology 4 would be needed, nor would we have gotten as much bonus material anyway (on a per album basis). 34 bonus tracks (albeit things like the A Day In The Life hum is probably a few seconds long) for ONE album? A much better value than how many you'd get on an Anthology.

Something I am thinking: If they do plan on doing the Super Deluxe box thing for every album, then I could see Carnival of Light being included on Magical Mystery Tour. With MMT being only a 6 song EP, that would be a pretty lame box. It would make sense to have bonus material from all of 1967 included such as Carnival of Light or even the crazy jam they did on the day Pepper came out as part of that box and also include the 1967 songs done for Yellow Submarine and the February 1968 sessions as well (and of course All You Need Is Love, Baby You're A Rich Man and Hello Goodbye) since I would doubt you'd get a Yellow Submarine album Super Deluxe box for basically 4 songs and the George Martin score.

Sean Murdock and sallymae_hogsby like this.
  12. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Most songs recorded during the Revolver sessions have one tape reduction: Love You To, Eleanor Rigby, I'm Only Sleeping, Rain, Taxman, For No One, Got To Get You Into My Life, Yellow Submarine, I Want To Tell You, Here There and Everywhere, She Said She Said -- that's 11 out of 16 songs, counting the Paperback Writer/Rain single. Most of these reductions make space for one or two tracks.

On Pepper, every song but one (Sgt Pepper Reprise) has one and sometimes two reduction mixes, but those reductions often bumped the previous tape down to one track, to allow for as many as three more tracks of overdubs. A much more complex recording, but building on what they had done before.

13. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Disappointed to see the running order means the addition of SFF and Penny Lane will be on at the tail-end of the 2nd disc (vinyl).

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  14. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I really enjoyed most of his book, but as everyone else has found he has these strange biases.

Aside from the obvious issues he had with George, one story that irked me was the recording of Yer Blues. He was annoyed that John insisted on playing the song loud in the studio, complaining that John didn't understand it wouldn't make the song any louder on tape.

But of course if the artist needs it loud to feel the performance, or to make the amps behave a certain way, then that's the situation and it's the engineer's job to capture that performance. Yer Blues sounds very unique sonically on the White Album - John of course knew what he was chasing. You can feel the whole place shaking on that song.

That Geoff thought there was some deficiency in John in this case is just so obviously wrong...

Klassik, Drewzel, jacden and 11 others like this.
  15. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Same mix but some pressings (if not all?) had reverb added to the entire mix.

Klassik, Wingsfan2012 and CMcGeek like this.
  16. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I don't see it as a problem, not been on the albums proper for 50 years, why start now.

Carl80, andrewskyDE, CMcGeek and 3 others like this.
  17. Onder

Onder Senior Member

IIRC, Ken Scott was recording Yer Blues, not Emerick. Are confusing it with some other song? Or is it one of Emerick's made up stories?

Ondra

johnny moondog 909 and maandrade like this.
  18. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I recall the book passage very clearly, but the book sits home and I sit at work. Will look at it later and verify

maandrade likes this.
  19. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I couldn't care less about the running order of the past 50 years.

Purists can refer back to any of the hundreds of versions released beforehand for the standard running order if that's what matters most to them. A blown opportunity, IMHO.

johnny moondog 909 and crispi like this.
  20. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Which was also the magic of radio days in the 1930's & 1940's where one could become an "active participant" in the sonic illusion, unlike television and/or movies that tend to do most of the heavy lifting by spelling everything out visually.

On that note, Pepper's aural charm is that it is so open to interpretation thus providing the opportunity for a deeply personal experience dependent on what the listener brings to the table.

Or "ear of the beholder" if you will.

21. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I didn't even finish the book because of the tone - as we say here, Geoff came across as a bit of a dick

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  22. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I think they came up with a very good solution. PL and SFF are now in the Sgt. Pepper "package" but have not been jammed into the album proper. Trying to put it into the original album's running order is a no-win situation. No matter where they put it, it wouldn't fit in. Perhaps you couldn't care less about the running order, but many people do as they have been listening to the album for 50 years. And if you really don't care about the order, then it shouldn't make a difference WHERE they put it or on what disc they put it. How is it a blown opportunity if you don't care?

23. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Seems like John was often going for catharsis, while Geoff's personality, judging from his video interviews, is more a man of restraint.

24. # 7 on the Billboard chart and Earth Wind & Fire's version hit #9 (but #1 on the Soul Chart)

25. like no one here has some strange biases :tiphat:

ODIrony, voles and Fivebyfive like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.