Magical Mystery Tour film discussion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by NaturalD, Apr 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop Thread Starter

Just what the forum needs, right? A Beatles thread. I did search, but the latest thread on this is closed for further replies.

Finally saw this 40 years after my peak Beatle fandom, and I guess it was pretty much what I had been led to believe -- can't picture watching it a second time. :) I loved the title sequence and thought I was in for a fun time capsule, but by the time they got to Flying I was already checking how long was left. I would have liked more Ivor Cutler, though; he's pretty entertaining.

One thing I missed all these years (and maybe others did too?): The "roll up" pun. Seeing it on screen made it obvious they were inviting you to roll up a number for the show, but I never caught that from the record.

[EDIT: Mods, I dropped this in the Music Forum out of habit; if it needs to be in Visual Arts, please do your thing. Thanks.]

2. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

The race is pretty boring, but I like a lot of the other bits

broshfab4 and Rfreeman like this.
  3. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I like the music clips, including the Bonzos plus the Lennon bit, which I guess is over half, so it can't be too bad. Parts of it are quite boring.

4. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Special double feature: Magical Mystery Tour followed by Renaldo and Clara!

I can't imagine anyone making it through…

5. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Magical Mystery Tour is an extended music video, ten years ahead of it's time, with great music.

Special Appearance by Bonzo Dog DooDah Band.

6. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop Thread Starter

I don't know, folks. Fool On the Hill is like one of those "literal music videos" ("Are they really going to show 'the eyes in his head'?" Yes, they are.) The Flying segment is OK if you've rolled up, I guess. :)

7. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

I love the Traffic 'Mulberry Bush' bonus footage on the DVD... :love:

drasil likes this.
  8. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I had the LP (in mono) since I was 4.

I loved the album, and loved the pictures in the book. I figured, how bad can the film be?

I finally saw the film when I was about 19 or 20. A friend had it on VHS.

I remember that I kept waiting for the film to start, but it never did.

I have never watched it again, and doubt that I ever will. I do like the "I Am the Walrus" segment, though.

majorlance, junk and NaturalD like this.
  9. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Forum Resident

I got a worse one. I saw MMT for the first time in a theater in 1977 at a midnight show that started with perennial midnight movie favorite Bambi Meets Godzilla, followed by Magical Mystery Tour....and Neil Young's Journey Through the Past. Sweet jeebus, I'd have given anything to have been watching Renaldo and Clara!

It was funny, in the lobby beforehand, the crowd was hyped. I don't think anyone there had seen MMT (or at least remembered it :laugh:), and people were all over themselves talking about how excited they were to see it. Definitely a Beatles crowd all the way, but "Like A Hurricane" was the newest Neil album cut, and it was getting a ton of play, so even The Beatles folks were talking about sticking around for it. Definitely nobody had seen this before.

o_O Dudes in robes wandering around, something about card tricks, loooong shots of drug use (not a spectator sport, imo), lots of Neil being uncomfortable and/or unpleasant, appallingly little music, just a mess. Exactly what you DON'T need to be watching at 1AM in a theater when you were expecting to party, and have already had your mellow harshed by The Beatles. The theater started out absolutely packed, was already half-empty before Journey Through the Past started (many of whom had left during MMT)), and maybe a dozen of us there to the end, and not one of us pleased about it.

Anyway, I kind of like MMT, especially the music bits. Paul's commentary on the Blu-ray and the featurettes are also endearing. I've seen worse. For example, Journey Through the Past. :laugh:

That said,

This remains the definitive reaction. :laugh:

10. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Like most Beatles fans who had never seen it I figured what the heck and back in 1988 my other Beatles fan friend and I rented it on VHS.
    It sucked.

11. 905

905 Senior Member

This is out there officially released on DVD and Let it Be isn't?
    lol.

12. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

It was bad enough to shift the band dynamic back to John being somewhat more dominant (or at least co-dominant) as it was Paul's baby------combined with India and Yoko.

13. Prudence1964

Prudence1964 Forum Resident

John Porcellino and Fivebyfive like this.
  14. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

John really seemed to enjoy shovelling spaghetti.

When I finally got my hands on Wonderwall, I decided to do a triple bill of it, MMT and The Magic Christian. Not advisable unless you've rolled up first.

15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

16. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

Should have just done The Magic Christian. It rules!

goodiesguy, Dog Ear and Black Thumb like this.
  17. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

It's probably my very favorite Beatles film. Like the album itself, I love colorful, surreal type stuff. And when you put "I Am The Walrus" in the middle of that surrealism, all the better! A film as whacked out as that one is actually the reason the Beatles were so great. And, more importantly, so much fun.

I haven't a clue what they were thinking in making the thing, but since when has pop music required sense and rationality? :)

18. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Whoa! Without a doubt, you win the award for having the most awful experience! At least mine is imaginary!

19. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I mean, you couldn't call The Queen's Speech a gas, either, could you?"

ponkine likes this.
  20. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Years ago I watched the film

I thought it was embarrasing, silly, awful ... but ... suddenly the most amazing thing happened:

That scene when Ringo's aunt Jessie and Ivor Cutler were on the beach, loving and enjoying each other ... and an instrumental version of 'All My Loving' comes
    THE MOST BREATHTAKING piece of orchestral music of the Beatles ever. It literally got tears from my eyes. And I'm not a guy who use to cry watching films at all

THAT alone is worth the time spent watching the film.
    How I wish there was a complete soundtrack. On a dreamed Magical Mystery Tour 'Super Deluxe Edition'

21. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

It has been re-evaluated and you can find a lot of positive takes on it nowadays.

Don't be fooled. It is trash. I love the Fabs and have no desire to see it ever again in my life.

People bought a DVD of this?

majorlance and Bruce M. like this.
  22. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

This is how I experience the movie and it works out quite well that way!

23. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

Uh.....yeah. Is that a problem??

lightbulb likes this.
  24. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

This is the key

Jerry Horne and petem1966 like this.
  25. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

They also show his "Little Paul", but I'm not opening up that debate again....

Paulwalrus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.