Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary editions to be released May 26, 2017* Anticipation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JOSERENATO, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I shall go into deep meditation, and contemplate this, Guru Grove.

2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Oh, just flip a coin for the answer... ;)

3. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

The thing is: Emerick was often blunt in his book about everyone, and not just about George. That's what made it a good read. Saying that George fumbled on the Taxman solo is really no more harsh than Emerick's other comments in the book about other people -- like about how annoyed he was by Paul insisting on doing more takes of Obladi. But George H is often treated like some sort of sacred cow, while it's OK to criticize Paul and John.

Emerick wasn't right or wrong about all this. Neither was Ken Scott. Emerick just offered his view -- based on how his own work approach meshed with the various Beatles -- or not. Not everyone works well together in a work place.

But yes, YMMV.

4. I like this idea. Chop up the Anthologies, and reuse the material on all the Special Deluxe Editions, of course along with even more material. (And with improvements where necessary, such as Sessions material.)

5. So by chopping up the Anthologies, Apple would come to our houses and drag our old copies away? Sort of like United Airlines?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    pablo fanques, nasa09, voles and 5 others like this.
  6. Oh Sri Arnold, the simplicity of your wisdom is beyond words! :)

7. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Okee dokee. :)

8. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

A fourth Anthology just doesn't make any sense to me. The scope of the releases went from beginning to end, to add a fourth would just confuse the concept of the release as it would, be definition be going back down the timeline and just feel like a lot of loose ends. If a standalone "rarities/sessions" type disc was prepared and titled something other than Anthology, then people would wonder why it was happening and why these tracks weren't released around the time of Anthology.

The only sensible way for more demos and alternate versions to come out, is as they are with this release, as part of a bigger package, relating to a certain album or period.

I feel they could probably do some kind of box, on the earlier years eclipsing just individual albums and maybe doing a couple of albums at a time, maybe one a year for 63,64,65,66. Then doing a 67 box which skirts around Pepper to focus on the MMT/YS tracks, then continuing on with boxes for The Beatles, Abbey Road and Let It Be.

Anthology is done and dusted, a 4th volume is not viable.

crispi, funkydude, Paul H and 3 others like this.
  9. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

One of the few criticisms of Paul was the Ob La Di sessions. And as I mentioned, facts don't really back up his point of view. They re-made Ob La Di, once. Thing is, none of the others, including Geoff liked the song all that much, so the sessions seemed longer than normal. Similar to the unwarranted criticism that Maxwell's Silver Hammer took forever to record, and it most definitely did not. Even John lamented the sessions and he didn't contribute a note to it, convalescing in the studio with Yoko. In later years even Ringo complained about the sessions, but the facts are it was one of the quickest songs recorded for the album, but not a favorite, so the sessions became interminable.

In earlier posts, I mentioned that Geoff attacked Ringo and to a lesser extent, John too. It might make for a good read, but it doesn't mean all, or much of it, was true. Are we to believe that George didn't like Geoff and Geoff alone? No one from that era criticized George and his personality like Geoff did. And for sure, George Martin was harsh concerning George's early compositions, but also lamented, quite openly, that he didn't help matters by rushing through the recordings and not giving them the nurturing he'd give to John and Paul's songs. Ron

10. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Especially if one has any reservations....

Kim Olesen likes this.
  11. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

the only good way of doing another Anthology would be doing extra tracks on the existing albums, and we all know how well that could go!!

12. maandrade

maandrade Forum Resident

When Geoff Emmerick reports the facts, he's great. When he gives his opinion, it is where the discords appear. The small solos of George Harrison, for me is the soul of the Beatles' songs (I respect George in the same way as John, Paul and Ringo, they are The Beatles). I don't get influenced by Geoff's opinions. I found Ken Scott's stance a bit unethical when he openly criticized Geoff. There is an item from the list of criticisms that Geoff suffered, which in particular I researched and verified that Geoff was right: At discogs, we easily learned that the first Tiny Tim's single was released in 1966, which supports what was written by Geoff .

ODIrony likes this.
  13. brainwashed

The thought is that Anthology COULD be dusted off and shined up some for Blu-Ray release. Some of us have thought THAT might be a good time to release a final volume, probably a recap 1961-1970 collection. However, this chatter was before the upcoming Sgt. Pepper set was announced. So, in all likelihood, even if Anthology is released on Blu-Ray, it probably won't have a new album to accompany it. If this set does well, expect future editions. Ron

14. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Always get a kick when Paul mimics this during the Get Back sessions when say something like Mega Segey Mega Segey...after he finished his version of I'm So Tired.

Keith V and Mark R Jones like this.
  15. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

In a memoir, the author thinks and remembers whatever they want. Complete with likes/dislikes/ and opinions.

MsMaclen and Fivebyfive like this.
  16. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

More Sgt. Pepper stuff as I dig through my boxes.
    I do have a sealed Original Master Recording of Pepper and a couple of different versions of Sgt. Pepper picture discs, as well as few of the regular issue LPs.

But digging around I found these: (I guess I've been more of a Pepper era fan than I remember). :)

Folding Greeting Card ----------------------Cardboard Standup (1 foot tall)--------------- CD Longbox

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Reading that rolling stone site has got my counting the days down even quicker now and they only covered 10 of the unreleased songs, gonna be a great listen when we get the box set.

18. brainwashed

Not that it matters, but Tim's 1966 single was a one-off promo (April Showers). No one heard it or bought it. What did Geoff say about him that Ken refuted? Ron

maandrade likes this.
  19. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

I don't see a fourth Anthology release ever coming. With the new Pepper, it pretty much are layed out in front of us, that future outtakes are coming, but on the individual records' deluxe releases.
    As I said earlier, I don't think we will ever see anniversary releases of pre-Rubber Soul records, since outtakes from With The Beatles nearly doesn't exist. I could see a 1962-1965 boxed set of outtakes, though.

20. maandrade

maandrade Forum Resident

Maybe John Lennon heard it. I don't know!

21. Defrance

Defrance A Northern Soul

I don't know if this has been reported earlier, as I don't have time to go through all 580 pages of this thread, but the mixes on the RSD 7" (SFF/PL) are apparently those from the 1 reissue from 2015, but "compressed for 7"".

The RSD preview video just came out and you can find that tidbit here:

maandrade likes this.
  22. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I'd like to see deluxe/box sets for everything after Pepper: Magical Mystery Tour (a post-Pepper '67 catch all that includes the tracks destined for YS soundtrack), White Album (that includes Lady Madonna/Inner Light sessions), Abbey Road (that includes Ballad of J+Y/Old Brown Shoe) and Let it Be (that includes Don't Let Me Down).

For everything else, a 2-Disc BEATLES BOOTS album to cover the best remaining '62-'66 studio outtakes/demos.

That way the Touring Years outtakes (Red Album Era) are covered in digest form, while the Studio Years (Blue Album Era) get the full deluxe treatment. It's a clean dividing line in the band's career so an easy decision if they just can't be bothered to give us deluxe editions of every LP, although box sets for Rubber Soul and Revolver would be amazing. I just doubt we'll get them.

23. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I have to wonder what the demand for Blu Ray Anthology would be. As much as I prefer HD whenever possible, Anthology is one production I'm okay watching in SD. I only re-visit it once every 5-10 years, so I'm fine with its current presentation.

Also, how much of the material from Anthology exists on film that would show an improvement at 1080p? Plus, there is the question of what aspect ratio to use. Were all of the interviews shot in 4:3? (Certainly most of the original 60s footage would be 4:3 ratio.) Would they crop it for widescreen? It would seem like a really big undertaking to make this an HD worthy presentation, possibly re-assembling the whole 10-hour program from scratch.

I'm hoping they will put their energies into releasing "new" material. Deluxe editions of each album seems the right path to take. New stereo remixes, session outtakes, demos, etc. paired with original singles and mono mixes seems to be the way to go.

24. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

Well it's true to Emerick. It's his perspective. And I still don't see much evidence that he disliked George. Emerick didn't say anything about George's personality that hasn't also been said by some of his closest friends (Tom Petty: "Let's be honest. There was Cranky George, and he could be very cynical at times.") and both of his wives. Perhaps Geoff just didn't get to see much of the softer side of George. :) I think the Emerick-was-mean-t0-George meme is as overstated as the Paul-insisted-on-endless-takes-of-Obladi (or Maxwell) meme. These things get repeated and exaggerated because we all spend too much time picking over the carcasses of this band (me included!).

I'll go back to obsessing about Pepper. :cool:

Klassik, nasa09, Lewisboogie and 4 others like this.
  25. skyjelly

skyjelly Forum Resident

So I'm thinking that it's the 2015 mix of SFF and the 2017 mix of PL. In the video (about 30 minutes in) Chris mentions that it says "P@2015", but he's looking at the SFF side. The PL side is shown to the camera and clearly shows "P@2017". Later he says they are the 1+ mixes, but I wonder about PL since I don't see anything denoting 2015 when he shows the PL label.

Pretty.Odd. and Defrance like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.