Record Store Day 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Probably is as it turns out. My local let me look at it today as I spend way too much money in there....they got in one copy, which is one more than they will likely need. It's her first album in 1971, not a new one, only released in Sweden. No one even knew who she was until she joined ABBA. Just a very, very weird release choice with all the other things that could have been issued.

2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Weren't individual releases of the Luna albums announced last year? And since even the exclusive pressings of "Romantica" and "Rendezvous" - both from RSD 2011 - received a widely available reissue last year, I wouldn't lose sleep over an "exclusive" "Penthouse". At least as long as we aren't talking about real estate :whistle:

3. MEMark

MEMark Forum Resident

I remember a box set of Luna LPs, and have been hoping those will get split up individually along the lines of the Neil Young archive box sets. Thanks!

4. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

Strontian likes this.
  5. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

It's a bit like my 'discovery' of Luna. I was on vacation in September 1995 near Monroe, MI visiting relatives. I went over to a record store at a shopping mall in the area (Frenchtown Mall for anybody who lives around there). Luna was displayed on CD in the play station area and it looked interesting. Once I read the liner notes that was it! Tom Verlaine was guesting on the record as was the Feelies' Stan Demeski so I bought it there and then. It has been one of my favourite records in the past 22 years (ouch!). I was disappointed that Rhino in Europe hasn't included 'Penthouse' for RSD 2017 in Europe. Oh well, I am hoping my sister will get it for me on Saturday at one of the stores in the Phoeniz, AZ area. Hoping ... anyway.:sweating:

Come to think of it a trip to the Frenchtown Mall in 1996 (the following year) yielded REM 'New Adventures in Hifi', Counting Crows 'Recovering The Satellites' and Tori Amos 'Boys for Pele' all on vinyl - not a bad haul at all - probably explains why my recollection of that 'mall store' is so clear.:laugh:

redflag likes this.
  6. Ineaskuld

Ineaskuld New Member

is that a really bad thing if I don't know who is Luna even nowadays? but I promise I am going to start 'discovering'

7. hutchenstance

hutchenstance Well-Known Member

Luna's Penthouse will for sure be released on vinyl soon.. in a non deluxe version...

hamicle and MEMark like this.
  8. Defrance

Defrance A Northern Soul

The BIG RSD Preview video is out

jlf, Strummergas, No Static and 4 others like this.
  9. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I will not be attending this year.

Neonbeam likes this.
  10. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

thank you for letting us know, I was just thinking last night if you were or not

hamicle, GMcGilli, theshape and 21 others like this.
  11. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

man, I don't know if I can soldier on now.

hamicle, No Static, Defrance and 3 others like this.
  12. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Maybe there need to be separate threads for attending / non-attending forum members.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  13. morwells

morwells Forum Resident

My buddy's store got almost everything including a lot of the UK stuff and some of the items that were pulled including The Who-Ready Steady Go 7".

I'm looking for a couple of UK things that he didnt get so if there is any Europe people here who want that Who item and would be wiling to grab me what i need over there please get in touch.

14. MEMark

MEMark Forum Resident

That's what I wanted to hear. I don't know who you are or how you know this with such certainty, but I choose to believe you! :)

15. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

Just previewed a bunch of vinyl (my wife owns a record store) and The Cars live and The Crowes/Page 10" are excellent,don't hesitate if you are fans of either.

turnersmemo likes this.
  16. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

[​IMG]

hamicle, jlf, DumbMagician and 7 others like this.
  17. MEMark

MEMark Forum Resident

Off topic: Is your forum name--Stoneknuckle--inspired by a Replacements bootleg on which Tommy and Paul say Stoneknuckle for no apparent reason?

stoneknuckle likes this.
  18. hutchenstance

hutchenstance Well-Known Member

ok we have a winner..

Gaslight likes this.
  19. stoneknuckle

Finally!...someone figured it out. Ha!

20. stoneknuckle

The Superchunk is a nice package as well...however the Madonna (don't judge) doesn't even have a dust sleeve and the jacket is rather flimsy stock.

21. MEMark

MEMark Forum Resident

That's wonderful! Nicely done. "It took us about 2 weeks, but I think we got...a few of it...down."

stoneknuckle likes this.
  22. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I am scheduled to work that day and I've taken off four weeks since February and there is a temp. moratorium on time off so there is no way I would even be stupid enough to ask for time off for a record store holiday.

23. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Smoking Popes are doing an in store performance at Reckless Records in Chicago.

Strummergas and stoneknuckle like this.
  24. Embracetheday

Embracetheday Forum Resident

According to (BullMoose) Chris's video, this is correct by the publishing dates and he also play-verified that it was stereo with no piccolo trumpet on Penny Lane.

Tommyboy likes this.
  25. Embracetheday

Embracetheday Forum Resident

I somehow missed the Nilsson Schmilsson release until tonight!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.