Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary editions to be released May 26, 2017* Anticipation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JOSERENATO, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maandrade

maandrade Forum Resident

Complete list of Beatles' engineers

Shaddam IV and Monasmee like this.
  2. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Goodness, that's quite an extensive list! As an overview, maybe it would be better to focus on EMI's top Beatles engineers?

Or maybe this belongs in another thread....

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    maandrade likes this.
  3. Actually, the FLACs didn't really "escape," they were just released almost completely under the radar to Qobuz.

Klassik, forthlin and Sean Murdock like this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Another day another pepper.

5. evilpants

evilpants Forum Resident

For those who really want a deep dive into Pepper on the 50th anniversary, there's a 4-day academic/historical conference all about Pepper on June 1-4. It looks amazing. It's at the School of Theatre, Music & Dance, University of Michigan (I found details on the excellent Beatles historiography blog, The Historian and The Beatles. If I was able to get there, I would go in a heartbeat. It's $145 including all your dinners and lunches and snacks.

Register here - U-M School of Music, Theatre & Dance - Sgt. Pepper Symposium - Registration

Thursday, 2:45 - 4:45 P.M., Watkins Lecture Hall (1350 Moore):

"Painting the Room in a Colourful Way" James Borders, moderator

James Grier (Professor of Music History, the University of Western Ontario), “What a Concept! What, a Concept? What Concept?: The Byrds, Jefferson Airplane and the Early Days of the Concept Album"

Matthew Schneider (Professor of English and Associate Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, High Point University), "Tangerine Trees and Marmalade Skies: Sgt. Pepper’s and the Disney Technicolor Palette"

Shaugn O'Donnell (Associate Professor, City University of New York), "Psychedelic Masquerade: Sgt. Pepper and the Summer of Love"

Thursday, 4:45 - 5:00 P.M. (1370 Moore):

Refreshments:

"People Running 'Round, It's Five O' Clock" Thursday, 5:00 - 6:00 P.M., Watkins Lecture Hall (1350 Moore):

Kathryn Cox, introduction
    Gordon Thompson (Professor of Music, Skidmore College), "Censoring the Beatles: 'A Day in the Life' at the BBC"

Thursday, 6:00 - 7:30 P.M., Hankinson Rehearsal Hall (1380 Moore):

Opening Reception: "The Band Begins [a bit after] Ten to Six," featuring Billy Harrington's demonstration of Ringo Starr's drumming and recording techniques on Pepper, on his two differently tuned vintage 1960s Ludwig Downbeat and Super Classic kits.

Thursday, 7:30 - 8:30 P.M., Watkins Lecture Hall (1350 Moore):

Walter Everett, introduction
    Tim Riley (Associate Professor of Journalism, Emerson College), "Rethinking Sgt. Pepper"

Friday, 8:30 - 9:00 A.M. (1370 Moore):

Breakfast: "Good Morning, Good Morning . . ."

Friday, 9:00 - 11:00 A.M., Watkins Lecture Hall (1350 Moore):

"Friday Morning at Nine O' Clock" Nicole Biamonte, moderator

Walter J. Podrazik (Adjunct Lecturer of Communication, University of Illinois at Chicago), "Unplugged and Recovered: The Resilience of the Sgt. Pepper Songbook, Within and Without the Trappings of its Era"

Mark Spicer (Professor of Music, Hunter College and the Graduate Center, City University of New York), "'Sowing (Sewing?) the Seeds of Love': The 1967 Beatles’ Influence on Tears for Fears"

Erin Weber (Assistant Professor of History, Newman University), "The Story You’ve Known for All These Years: The Historiography of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band"

Friday, 11:00 - 11:15 A.M. (1370 Moore):

Break: "Glad That I'm Here"

Friday, 11:15 A.M. - 12:45 P.M., Watkins Lecture Hall (1350 Moore):

"You Gave Me the Word, I Finally Heard" Donna S. Parsons, moderator
    Joshua S. Duchan (Assistant Professor of Music, Wayne State University), “Echoes of Sgt. Pepper’s on Billy Joel’s The Nylon Curtain"

Katie Kapurch (Assistant Professor of English, Texas State University) and Jon Marc Smith (Senior Lecturer in English, Texas State University), "A Wonderful, Dangerous Trip: Pepper, Prince, and Michael Jackson"

Friday, 12:45 - 2:00 P.M., Hankinson Rehearsal Hall (1380 Moore):

Luncheon Buffet: "We Were Talking About the Love We All Could Share," featuring students of Somangshu Mukherji (Assistant Professor of Music Theory, The University of Michigan) on Indian song forms.

Friday, 2:00 - 3:00 P.M., Watkins Lecture Hall (1350 Moore):

Ken Womack, introduction
    Walter Everett (Professor of Music Theory, The University of Michigan), "The Beatles' Recording of 'A Day in the Life'"

Friday, 3:00 - 3:15 P.M. (1370 Moore):

Refreshments: "Eat Marshmallow Pies"

Friday, 3:15 - 5:15 P.M., Watkins Lecture Hall (1350 Moore):

"Could It Be Anybody?" Mark Spicer, moderator
    Daniel Lieberfeld (Associate Professor of History, Duquesne University), “Lyric Co-authorship and Dialogic Lyrics on Sgt. Pepper"
    Michael Hennessy (Professor of English and Dean of the College of Liberal Arts, Texas State University), "Is Pepper Poetry?"
    Drew Nobile (Assistant Professor of Music Theory, University of Oregon School of Music and Dance), "The Beatles’ Approach to Verse–Chorus Form"

Friday, 5:15 - 7:00 P.M., Hankinson Rehearsal Hall (1380 Moore):

Banquet: "Had a Laugh . . . Over Dinner"
    Friday, 7:00 - 8:00 P.M., Watkins Lecture Hall (1350 Moore):

Gordon Thompson, introduction
    John Covach (Director of the University of Rochester Institute for Popular Music, Director of the University Institute for the Performing Arts, and Professor of Theory at the Eastman School of Music), "On a Train in a Station: Sgt. Pepper and the Journey of Style"

Saturday, 8:00 - 8:30 A.M. (1370 Moore):

Breakfast: "The Celebrated Mr. K Performs His Feat on Saturday"

Saturday, 8:30 - 10:30 A.M., Watkins Lecture Hall (1350 Moore):

"Tangerine Trees" Shaugn O'Donnell, moderator

Jim LeBlanc (Director of Library Technical Services, Cornell University), “The Sound of an Orange: John Lennon’s Voice and the Granularity of the Beatles’ Psychedelic Sound"

David Forrest (Assistant Professor, Texas Tech University), "Harmonizing Marmalade Skies"

Aviv Kammay (Faculty, Wingra School, Madison, WI), “Give Us a Wink and Make Me Think: Defusal, Deflation, and Dilution of Artistic Statements in Sgt. Pepper and Beyond"

Saturday, 10:30 - 10:45 A.M. (1370 Moore):

Break: "Take Some Tea with Me"

Saturday, 10:45 A.M. - 12:15 P.M., Watkins Lecture Hall (1350 Moore):

"They Had to Count Them All" Drew Nobile, moderator

David Thurmaier (Associate Professor of Music Theory, University of Missouri—Kansas City), “The New Integration of Classical and Rock Instrumentation on Sgt. Pepper and its Critical Reception "

Nicole Biamonte (Associate Professor of Music Research—music theory area, Schulich School of Music, McGill University), "Rhythmic and Metric Trajectories in Sgt. Pepper"

Saturday, 12:15 - 2 P.M., Kevreson Rehearsal Hall (1320 Moore):

Luncheon buffet: "Will You Still Feed Me?":
    Kit O'Toole (independent scholar and author), "The Act You've Known for All These Years: British Music Hall and Its Influence on Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"

Ken Orth (independent archivist), "You Don't Look Different: Fifty Years of Sgt. Pepper Parody Art"

Paul S. Carter (Associate Professor, State University of New York College at Oneonta), "Making Music Theory Pedagogy Younger: Analyzing the Production of Pepper-Era Beatles Music"

Michael J. Schiano (Associate Professor of Music Theory, The Hartt School, The University of Hartford), "The Beatles and Classical Music"

"Well, I just had to laugh—I saw the photograph"

Saturday, 2:00 - 3:00 P.M., Watkins Lecture Hall (1350 Moore):

John Covach, introduction
    Anthony DeCurtis (Contributing Editor for Rolling Stone and Distinguished Lecturer in Creative Writing, The University of Pennsylvania), "Reading Sgt. Pepper's"

Saturday, 3:00 - 3:15 P.M. (1370 Moore):

Refreshments: "Guaranteed to Raise a Smile"

Saturday, 3:15 - 5:15 P.M., Watkins Lecture Hall (1350 Moore):

"Took Her Home, I Nearly Made It" Jeffrey Roessner, moderator

Donna S. Parsons (Lecturer, University of Iowa), “John Lennon's Victorian Circus"

Kathryn B. Cox (Ph.D. Candidate in Musicology, University of Michigan), "Nostalgic Present, Nostalgic Future: The Beatles and Imagined Time in Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band"

John Platoff (Professor of Music, Trinity College), "Taking ‘Mr. Kite’ Seriously"

Saturday, 5:15 - 5:30 P.M. (1370 Moore):

Break: "It's Time for Tea"
    Saturday, 5:30 - 6:30 P.M., Watkins Lecture Hall (1350 Moore):

Anthony DeCurtis, introduction
    Ken Scott (Independent Producer and Senior Lecturer, Leeds Beckett University), "Abbey Road to Ziggy Stardust"
    [Dinner: "You Start to Roam, Then You're in Town"]

Sunday, 8:00 - 8:30 A.M. (1370 Moore):

Breakfast: "Sunday Morning Go for a Ride"

Sunday, 8:30 - 10:30 A.M., Watkins Lecture Hall (1350 Moore):

"We Hope You Have Enjoyed the Show" Joshua S. Duchan, moderator

Mark Osteen (Professor of English and Director of the Center for the Humanities, Loyola University Maryland), “Turning Us On: Artifice as Authenticity in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"

Aaron Krerowicz (professional Beatles scholar), "'Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!,' The Beatles' Most Under-Appreciated Song"

Jeffrey Roessner (Professor of English, Mercyhurst University), "Collage à Trois: Sgt. Pepper and The Beatles’ Artistic Persona"

Sunday, 10:30 - 10:45 A.M. (1370 Moore):

Break: "It's Getting Very Near the End"
    Sunday, 10:45 A.M. - 11:45 A.M., Watkins Lecture Hall (1350 Moore):

Katie Kapurch, introduction
    Ken Womack (Professor of English and Dean of the Wayne D. McMurray School of Humanities and Social Sciences at Monmouth University), "A Musical Fragmentation Grenade: Sir George Martin and the Making of Sgt. Pepper"

6. alexpop

Sounds like here without the tea and buttercakes. :)

7. evilpants

evilpants Forum Resident

This is another example of how people's memories are fundamentally altered by the general perception of a thing - it's not even something they have to have been directly asked about. Popular memory is now that Maxwell's silver hammer was a long, long recording session, and that's become how the band members remembered it. You simply can't trust the memories of people involved in historical events after those historical events have passed.

I mean, it doesn't even have to be historical events. How often have you been in the room when someone is on the phone, and straight after the phone call they describe it to you and it's as if they're talking about a completely different phone call. "I told him to f off and do it his f-ing self!" - er, no you didn't, you said "look I'm not really up for doing it, is there any chance I can take a rain check?"

Memory is fascinating and unreliable. Much more so when "everyone knows" about a thing.

autumn daze likes this.
  8. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Thanks for posting Mal. Very interesting.

Thing that struck me was the interviewer's awful mic technique. He was chewing the end off!

Ken's voice was so much clearer.

Mal likes this.
  9. alexpop

I don't think it's ethical either.

10. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I definitely wouldn't say "no" to the idea, if they could do it with the material they possess and have a good end result. It's just not high on my wish list for Beatles projects, unless they could inject it with a lot of new material.

Thelonious_Cube likes this.
  11. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Was there much headphone listening in the UK outside of a studio in 1967? There was certainly no headphone socket on my Dansette.

But, if you are like me, distant significant memories will shine a lot brighter. True, they could have been polished in their re-rememberings over the years but still seem closer than this mornings breakfast...

Where is that documented? Could it not have been the other way round?

Well I think a reissue of an expanded audio Anthology is definitely a method they might employ to make us buy the same stuff over again to get a few titbits. It kind of ties in with this release and 'Live at the BBC' in my opinion.

Any opinions on the so-called 2016 remasters on Tidal and other outlets?

I'd forgotten how dreadful it looked. What were they thinking?

Wingsfan2012 and ParloFax like this.
  12. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Wow.

Yorick likes this.
  13. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I hadn't realised that the versions on Qobuz were the "iTunes remasters". Is this confirmed?

Klassik likes this.
  14. Mark R Jones

Mark R Jones Beatles fan from 10 years old

Oh so THAT'S what he was doing? I could never work out what on earth he was going on about

Fivebyfive likes this.
  15. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Not sure if The Beatles heard any of the Floyd sessions although they could have. But we do know the Floyd met The Beatles while they were recording "Lovely Rita"

16. alexpop

Dreadful "?
    One man's dreadful is another man's laminated.

tages and ODIrony like this.
  17. voles

voles Forum Lurker

It's still a t*rd, polished or not. But it is a part of all our yesterdays now I suppose.

crispi likes this.
  18. alexpop

Yesterdays all my troubles seem so far away...:)

19. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I love that cover. Very evocative of swinging 60's London.

Larry Geller and tages like this.
  20. alexpop

What about Yesterday & Today ???
    A Beatles smorgasbord if ever there was one, even more impressive from a USA perspective of having 2/3 UK Beatles albums all housed in one album. The only other USA album that came close was MMT( some say comp/others cannon ) with Penny Lane /SFF on it( now part of Sgt Pepper). Y&T has to be my favouite USA Beatles album, and Paul McCartney ( like SP)always doing something different on the album cover. Badfinger (inspired ) named one of their songs after the Y&T cover.

Sidewinder43 likes this.
  21. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Having just watched the Sgt. Pepper 50th Anniversary trailer on YouTube, people are really hoping that Carnival of Light ends up being a Hidden Track. Won't be holding my breath. :p

22. alexpop

More like The Carnival Is Over.
    A Pipe( er at the gates ) dream, alas now.

FVDnz and paolo like this.
  23. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

From Wikipedia:
    Maybe my english is sometimes pretty bad.

That's what I meant. Looks like I have a problem with my vocabulary sometimes. Even in my native language.^^
    [Edit:] I'm confused with the words 'influence' and 'influenced' because I swap them by accident very often.

voles likes this.
  24. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Hey!
    If I have to settle for a Dead Can Dance song, it might as well be.....
    "CARNIVAL OF LIGHT"!

alexpop likes this.
  25. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.