Is it too late to get into vinyl now?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Martgrol, Dec 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Yes, it's too late.

You just missed the insane importCDs eBay vinyl sale.

c-eling likes this.
  2. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

I agree, it's kinda late. For some reason lately (last maybe 5 years) vintage vinyl has become popular, so more competition and much higher prices. This is a "supply and demand" thing.

patient_ot likes this.
  3. Mazda

Mazda The mystic one

Depends on what you intend collecting, but overall vinyl collecting became a very expensive hobby.

4. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

Stay away from my vinyl...

But seriously. I think one of the reasons I was drawn back to vinyl is the thrill of the chase. I used to love going to record stores to go through cds as a kid in the late 90s and never really knowing how many Black Sabbath or Rush or Led Zeppelin albums there were. It was always fun to find something new or that you didn't expect to be there.

I get that feeling when I go through the bins and find an LP that I didn't expect to be there...

Chrome_Head likes this.
  5. before you do that, rip the cd's to a lossless format!:
    when you get bored with the vinyl, or your wife can't stand all the space taken by the records, you'll be glad to have digital!!!

6. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

If you like the best sound, then it's never too late.

7. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

This and others don't represent the 'best sound' found on the lp format
    You can't blanket statement this.
    I actually prefer US Atlantic mid to late 80's compact discs over the lp when they were simultaneously released
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  8. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I've been seeing this more and more lately: People who have apparently been led on by the hype and exaggerations of the superiority of vinyl that gets repeated in this forum. More and more threads keep popping up from vinyl newbies, wondering where all the magic is - you know, where the LP blows the digital version out of the water by a country mile and the sonic bliss is not even close.

My prediction: Some time in the near future, a user like Martgrol will start a thread along the lines of "Have you ever gotten the feeling you've been had?". Responses will range from suggestions on more stuff to buy ("you gotta use a clamp if you're expecting good midrange") to finding fault with the user ("maybe you need to train your ears").

timind, e.s., Jackson and 4 others like this.
  9. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Sure, but on the other hand, surely this forum is the one place where you will also learn that cheap junk will not get you there, and that set up is absolutely critical. You gloss over either of those points and of course its going to be sub par.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  10. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I think the point is, it might be sub par regardless.

Jackson and Chooke like this.
  11. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

This place at it's worst could be seen to an outsider as a consumerist death trap of sorts that serves the dual purpose of causing anxiety in the minds of the malleable and suggestible member while also symbiotically serving as a beacon of affirmation for other insecure souls who have swallowed the kool aid but need a steady maintenance dose of reassurance that they didn't get fleeced. And there is also a negative side.

havenz, e.s., WillieDaPimp and 3 others like this.
  12. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Just do it. Get a decent table, (one that at least won't damage the records you buy), see if you can get decent used records (The Forum Classifieds is a good source)
    I would recommend Amazon for new vinyl purchases because they have a "no questions asked" return policy, just in case the new record is not perfect. Have fun! :righton:

13. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

I agree that it's never too late to get into vinyl. It depends on what you want out of the music, whether you see it as a hobby etc etc.

In my opinion, if you are chasing the highest quality recording/mastering of any album then vinyl must be part of your collection because even though CDs and hi res measure better and are more transparent formats, the mastering is more important. So for any album the best mastering is sometimes on the LP but other times it is digital. Most modern releases, whether they are vinyl or digital, don't sound as good as the earlier stuff precisely because mastering is hotter and more processed today than what it was in the past. I am in a fortunate position as I still own most of my records I purchased back in the day and a lot of early CDs before they fell victim to the loudness wars. While vinyl in many cases has fared better in this regard, as it is not possible to make a record as hot as a CD, it still has suffered compared to the more natural processing of the past.

The other thing is the whole experience of playing music. There is no doubt that vinyl uses more of your senses, the large cover art, pulling the record from the sleeve, smelling the vinyl and the sound of lowering the stylus on to the record. That uses a lot more of our senses than simply pressing the play button. It doesn't make the sound any better but it does create an overall experience. To some this is a positive and to others, who just want to listen to the music, it is a negative.

I suppose you just have to delve into it to see if vinyl is for you.

NorthNY Mark, Jackson and Leepal like this.
  14. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

That's rubbish. Some people "prefer" the sound of vinyl (through the rumble, pops and clicks), that's all. If you ever have to sit there assessing the slight difference between the sound of vinyl or digital, you've lost the plot.

Jackson likes this.
  15. Chris Schoen

Never ended for me. Been spinning records, occasionally buying a few, for 40 years. It's great!

16. Chris Schoen

I have more than a few records that just flat out sound better than any cd of that album that's available. Most of these were mastered to be cut to vinyl,
    which is why they probably sound better. You don't decide to get into vinyl because "it absolutely sounds better" than..., it's a case by case
    endeavor, and requires some care and interest. Not for everybody. I have a great cd collection also, and WHEN they are mastered well, they are better.

Chooke likes this.
  17. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

When I got into vinyl back in 2005 and was buying majority of my records for $1-$5, I was wistful that I hadn't gotten started in the 90's - when people were practically giving stuff away. Now that it's ten years later I wish it was just 2005 again! My pricing expectations have not adjusted to the market. So there's probably never a "good" time. ;)

seaisletim likes this.
  18. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

It's not too late. Granted the huge availability of VG+ or better vinyl for a few bucks each has dried up. But you have lots of choices. If you are selective you can get clean condition for $10 on most 60's and 70's titles. Where it gets out of hand are the "audiophile-quality" titles for classic albums such as the Bob Ludwig Led Zeppelin II. Rest assured you can shop with patience and come up with some nice finds, and spurge when you can on that specific legendary slab. And when all else fails buy the reissues that have hit the mark on sound. This forum has the details on which versions sound the best. Have fun!

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  19. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now is an ideal time to get into vinyl. Lots of used records and new reissues. Between vintage and new turntables you can get whatever quality you want at any price point. Plenty of cartridges available, and new phono preamps get better and cheaper all the time.

Also, the online music forums offer much experience and advice regarding all the above. Good luck. :)

20. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

10 years ago? Then doesn't this disqualify you from making a valid contribution to this thread? o_O

21. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

I'm on the same page. I can't believe how the same records I bought for $4 in 2010 are now $15 in some instances.

Once the shops start putting old Doobie Bros. records in sleeves for resale, instead of the dollar bins, you know you're in trouble.

picassoson and c-eling like this.
  22. c-eling

My local had Men Without Hats-Rhythm of Youth tagged at 15, along with some other standard 80's stuff
    Two old Thomspon Twins titles (In The Name of Love/Side Kicks) were at 4, I grabbed those :laugh:

23. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Plunge in!! there is nothing like playing & hearing an ultrasonic cleaned original Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band mono or stereo 1967 vinyl.

:edthumbs:

c-eling likes this.
  24. c-eling

I bet!
    But for the newbie how deep is the wallet for a playable? I've run into a few that were way overpriced at thrifts. They were completely destroyed. Popcorn bowl material :laugh:

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  25. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Yeah hear ya. Still they could get the new stereo mono SPLHCB releases at least to enjoy the vinyl experience. :righton:

c-eling likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.