Best New Albums of 2017 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, Jan 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

My picks so far:

1. Robyn Hitchcock - S/T
    2. On Fillmore - Happiness Of Living
    3. Lawrence English - Cruel Optimism

I need more time to digest the Julia Holter, Grandaddy, Spoon, Tinariwen sets. Ah, time...

JoeRockhead likes this.
  2. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

22 year old Tash Sultana is a virtuoso self-taught multi-instrumentalist from Melbourne. She plays everything (a la Bill Nelson) by using loops and pedals live. A great guitarist, she's blowing minds opening for Santana right now in Australia. Her guitar influences include Hendrix & Prince.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  3. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Here's a live video of Tash

check out her guitar skills @ 9:45

KariK likes this.
  4. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

No problem!

We just saw her live on Saturday in Ithaca, NY and she was excellent! If you get the chance, go see her!

noname74 likes this.
  5. jmj190

jmj190 Forum Resident

From the new Waxahatchee album, Out In The Storm - Silver

Released July 14th

6. Davey

Davey NP: CLARAGUILAR ~ Figura (2024)

But if it's not out for another 3 months, how can @CaseyJames be loving it for the last month? I guess these things happen :)

Lot of good stuff on the horizon.

7. TeleStrat

TeleStrat Senior Member

Some new ones I've heard so far...

Electric Moon - Stardust Rituals
    Dead Sea Apes - Sixth Side Of The Pentagon
    Samsara Blues Experiment - One With The Universe
    All Them Witches - Sleeping Through The War
    Electric Octopus - Chaotic Wavemaker

Davey likes this.
  8. Davey

I need that one, I've only heard the opener so far. I didn't think it was out until next month, must've got an early release since now they say Apr 10. Hmmm... looks like a pretty psych heavy year for you, I like it :)

9. TeleStrat

TeleStrat Senior Member

^ I pre-ordered One With The Universe from the SBE webstore and I'm not sure when it will ship.
    Lately I have been listening to a lot of desert/psych/stoner albums and ordering quite a few,

Davey likes this.
  10. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe

She is releasing ANOTHER new album apparently. The album I was referring to was Ivy Tripp.

edit: Which I didn't realize was released in 2015. I'm all out of sorts.

Davey likes this.
  11. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

Everyone gets a trophy in 2017, they didn't tell you that LOL

Purple Jim likes this.
  12. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

From the realm of musculature under black leather this is my top album so far. Too often the use of delicate moments or passages come across as an intellectual conceit, a tossing of a bone, but throughout this album those developments come across as a perfectly natural flourish, they belong. That is most obvious at the conclusion of this song. A melodic savvy also rises at well placed spots as does the occasional guitar pyrotechnic of some originality. Bracing with brief comforting reprieves and very little that is discordant or very challenging, it isn't new ground but it is pleasing and rewarding...if one is receptive to sweet bear hugs by brutes. :winkgrin:

13. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

These kind of posts really irk.
    Did your bridge collapse and all your billy goats ran away?

This thread, if you noticed, is not the OFFICIAL guaranteed BEST of 2017 thread.
    As 28 pages might be evidence but you would rather be an ignorant.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  14. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Agreed. OP basically took a thread idea I had from last year and extended it to this year (which I greatly appreciate btw).

So for anyone who didn't get the memo, this isn't Billboard or Rolling Stone's top albums. It's someone personal "hey I think this album is great" list. And yes some of these albums I may sample and not really agree with as being great but I appreciate the effort.

And if I manage to snag a few albums that I end up thinking are great as well then this thread was well worth reading.

15. Dreadnought

I don't believe it's possible to not get it. No one is that daft. They're just being troublesome.
    I try to listen to everything in this thread because you never know 'til you try. And even if it isn't for me I may know someone it does suit. I forwarded the Tash Sultana videos to two pals on Facebook. (Flesh and blood pals I've known for 37 and 42 years).

16. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Somehow I missed the first post about this. It was Bandcamp's album of the day when it came out. After listening to a few songs? I bought it. I listened for the first time while in vacation so I didn't post about it, a pain on my phone.

It's a great collection of music, very eclectic with Bluegrass, Americana, Folk, Rock, Experimental and Jazz. It's streamable on Spotify and bandcamp. The Hired Hands: A Tribute to Bruce Langhorne, by Various Artists

Stu02 and Davey like this.
  17. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I try to listen to everything but don't always have time. Like you, my tastes don't match most of what's posted here, but occasionally something really clicks. If it doesn't, I move on after sampling it.

Dreadnought likes this.
  18. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

Agreed — this is pretty obviously just a thread for people to recommend what they're into right now so other people can check it out if they want. I've found at least 4 or 5 new artists outside my usual radar on these threads over the past couple of years.

To sum up: some people are diçks and they'll always be diçks. Best to just ignore and move on.

Dreadnought and noname74 like this.
  19. Davey

Modern post-punk bands

20. TeleStrat

TeleStrat Senior Member

For the last couple of years I've been listening to almost nothing but newer music. Generally, 2010 or later and usually 2015, '16, '17.
    I listen to six or eight albums per day and still can't always keep up with the newer music being released.
    I look to threads like this one to see what other people have found that I might have missed.

21. Dreadnought

Unfortunately I'm terrible at remembering names and titles and need to backtrack through this thread to find something I thought was terrific. All I remember was that it was a guy and the music was very quiet and subtle.
    :doh:
    I'm completely in the camp of ignore and move on. Given that I did respond I must have been extra, extra chatty this morning. :laugh:

Although my personal golden period would be the 70s I absolutely refuse to give up on the present and future. I just cannot live exclusively on my knees in mourning/celebration in the music graveyard. Though admittedly it does come to life with 'Play'. Presently the best new music does seem more specialized rather than broader or mainstream, as it was in the past. I don't mind that it may take more effort and more tolerance to both find and appreciate what's happening now. I'm having fun with it. My opinion is that music needn't always be easy. Not always the lifting of a bowl of soup to sip but instead applying the fork and knife, some amount of work to consume.

sbroache and calgary669 like this.
  22. cgoodwin22

cgoodwin22 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Richard Barbieri - Planets + Persona

So good!

GeoffC likes this.
  23. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Bob Dylan : Triplicate

JoeRockhead likes this.
  24. Cornfed Hick

Cornfed Hick Forum Resident

Though I generally agree with this sentiment, and typically follow it, I also think we shouldn't be too quick to shout down dissenting voices, either. And, FWIW, I happen to agree with the person who thought the Kelly Lee Owens release is meh -- could have been more diplomatic, but at least he gave a reason for his view, unlike the person who simply said it was "amazing" without explanation. I also agree that some (not all) posters on this thread may have a pretty low bar for posting in a "best of the year so far" thread.

Nonetheless, I really enjoy this thread, even though I tend to disagree with about 90% of the recommendations, because my life is enriched by the other 10% of releases that also click with me. People should be encouraged to post music (if they actually think it's not merely good but special), but I also think people should be allowed to disagree without being called names. Debate is debate, opinions vary, and so on.

troggy and Dreadnought like this.
  25. Dreadnought

Found it! :pleased:

ponkine likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.