Is it too late to get into vinyl now?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Martgrol, Dec 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Ok

2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

That compact has been on my thrift store 'find of the century' list for decades, along with Peter Schillings-120 Grad :laugh:

3. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Thanks for the clarification Preston. That New Order Technique I posted was probably digital in some way or form. Strange my old US compact disc kicks the old UK vinyl's butt :laugh:

Preston likes this.
  4. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

True, but I was referring to new music rather than remasters or re-issues. Many of the new stuff are cut at lower volume from CD dub masters so it won't mistrack due to the loud compression. The issue is not the digital master which if anything should objectively sound better than from an analog tape master source, but rather it is the mastering of the CD masters which is the issue.

5. dh46374

dh46374 Forum Resident

Nah, spend the money on your digital equipment and music, if it's about the music for you.

6. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

I gotta say i'm sad that the days of 99cent GW vinyl finds are over. ;(
    Found a lot of great stuff for dirt cheap that-a-ways.

The Pinhead likes this.
  7. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

You'll still find great deals like that at flea markets or garage sales.

And although generally a bit more expensive than 99 cents, Amoeba can be quite good that way. Two older pressings I've purchased there - a Chris Isaak S/T sealed LP for $9, or a Huey Lewis S/T sealed LP for $8.

8. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

I got into vinyl as a kid, as I started my serious record accumulating around 1982. So by the time CDs came alongI already had like a thousand lps, so abandoning the format was never a possibility. Then I lived in LA in the glory days of vinyl-as-trash of the 1990s and added about another 2,000 lps at likely an average price of around a buck a piece....but in the past decade or so I've MAYBE added 100 lps to my collection? Probably less.

I would DEFINITELY not start in on vinyl as a new music accumulator. Why? Not that vinyl isn't awesome. But it's too, too damn expensive. Both original pressings or within-decade-of-original pressings or absurd reissue culture. For me, it's over. It's too late both financially and emotionally to get anything on vinyl that I don't already have. Luckily in modernity the actual ability to hear music is for all the obvious reasons better and better. (You will note I'm not a "list my equipment in profile" forum user....)

9. Jaffboy151

Jaffboy151 Well-Known Member

What's people's opinion...
    Will demand for vinyl remain strong or continue to rise? Or will it fade away? If so will it be wholesale or just say the millennials that move on to another fad resulting in the collapse of the new vinyl market while the 35/40+ age group market remains strong?

10. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

It's never late, but I hope you have good money to spend on all those 60s and 70s original presses :D

11. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

In the long term all physical media will fade away, being a historical footnote. The Gen Z generation will likely be the last.

12. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

Never too late, just do it. Try not to get obsessed with rebuying everything you already have on other formats, pick up those that interest you, get something you never heard, or just grab whatever you like when it fits your budget. I love CDs just as much as I love LPs for different reasons. Some albums I only have on LP, others on CD and some of my favorites I own on both formats. That works.

Mike6565 likes this.
  13. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

I disagree, consuming music or any other media digitally is primarily convenience, for the masses. There will always be a significant market, in terms of being prepared to spend money, for people who want to consume media in a more selective and immersive way.

With regards to vinyl specifically, as you have to find the record you want, take time to load it up, and you know you will be turning it over in 20mins or so, it lends itself to dedicated and deliberate listening. It is why I have got back into it, because I wanted to immerse myself in albums again, as they were meant to be experienced.

I am not even sure I want to progress to lossless digital music at this stage, because I know the temptation will be to flick and skip tracks, as it is so easy.

iloveguitars likes this.
  14. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

:) Well, (a-HEM) we all know around here how complicated it can be to determine the source material that a recording was mastered from!

c-eling likes this.
  15. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

[citation needed]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    dkmonroe and e.s. like this.
  16. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

17. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

18. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Emotionally???

19. Schoolmaster Bones

The link goes to a blog by a guy who has mastered "thousands of CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray titles". His point seems to be that if a digital master is done properly, there's no reason the same master can't be used for both CD and LP, which sounds reasonable. I've personally had a few vinyl mastering engineers tell me the same thing.

The part that I think you're referring to is somewhat contradictory:
    So, which is correct? (Not assuming that he would know, as his mastering business seems to be exclusively for CD and file-based formats). Even the slippery term "CD production Master" is not necessarily the same thing as "cut from a CD", which unfortunately gets repeated over and over again in these discussions. It's the use of broad generalizations that originate from speculation that I have a problem with.

Any statement that begins with "Most vinyl these days..." pegs my BS meter.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    dkmonroe likes this.
  20. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

It's never too late! Wonderful sound and a lifetime purchase.

21. Schoolmaster Bones

Do you get the feeling that this whole 'digital vs. vinyl' thing really isn't about sound?

e.s., Juan Matus and miklew like this.
  22. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

Never ever too late.....especially with all the recent reissues.....

23. honestabe316

Some people like thier boat for fishing and some for waterskiing and cruises.....the lake is the focal point and the boats just the ways to a means......

Ok...That was a dumb A_S analogy......but I do like vinyl for the whole experience....sure, some albums sound good on digital you can't really say that no digital recordings sound great.....but I prefer vinyl as I like the collectibility, the large tangible object, the smell of old cardboard, flipping sides, etc....and with my system I get a sound reproduction that suits my nedds.....who cares really....just enjoy the music any way you like but someone shouldn't really participate in forums like these if the get thier listening done via mp3's and such.....

24. honestabe316

Oops....not saying you do your listening via mp3...lol...just anyone in general

25. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Yes I'm sorry but the cut off date for enlistment was December 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.