All Things Must Pass - Will we ever get a remixed/unSpectorized version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Octavian, Apr 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know in 2001 Harrison led a remastering of the album to attempt to get rid of all of what Spector did, but it was only slightly successful. I'm honestly surprised they just didn't go for a remix.

In my opinion, this album needs a remix so incredibly badly. I know Spector played a large part in the recording of it so it affects the sound everywhere, but can't we just throw a lot of technology at it? This album deserves the same treatment that Let it Be... Naked got.

2. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

If by "same treatment" you mean noise reduction: I can't go for that.

3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I hope not. Shouldnt meddle with perfection.

4. Octavian

Even George hated the production though.

5. Daniel Plainview

He was wrong.

6. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

But it's perfect.

I'd love a 5.1 mix, though. But all the Spector stuff is what makes the album what it is.

7. Octavian

I just don't understand this idea that it is perfect, but I guess that is just the consequence of me being young.

The album to me sounds as if it deserves a Lynne-type of production, I would kill for that.

8. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Nah. A 3-channel stereo mix would open it up nicely, and of course a full surround mix would be fabulous, but probably unthinkable with a Spectorized production.

Doesn't need that much revisioning beyond that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Lynne-hater by any stretch.

warewolf95 likes this.
  9. Octavian

I would take anything to be honest, that would just be my idea of perfection.

I hope maybe for the 50th Anniversary we get something. George's estate usually go with what he wanted (no Carnival of Light) so I have high hopes.

warewolf95 and Shaddam IV like this.
  10. Daniel Plainview

The remix strips the song of all its mystique and grandeur. These are the qualities that make the album great. Sir Frankie Crisp wasnt meant to be seen clearly.

I wish they could go back and re-Spectorize "I Live For You".

11. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

My view is:

1-I bought the album about 3 days after it's 1970 release, and it has been near and dear to my heart since. I even enjoy the Apple Jam third record.

2-I never gave the production any thought and have always enjoyed ATMP as it is. I believe the fullness the production adds life, vitality, and compelling sonics. I believe a stripped-down remake would be somewhat dull. I mean, I'd Have You Any Time, My Sweet Lord, If Not For You, Ballad of Sir Frankie Crisp, Isn't It A Pity, What Is Life-without the Spector sound treatment- would perhaps be one dimensional and sound like unfinished demos.

3-Let's not forget that Mr. Spector's work and methods were highly respected during that time, and he was chosen for the project.

Like Zodiac stated above, don't mess around.

GT

12. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

No way. ATMP is sublime on original orange label. Digital versions don't have that dreamy density that was smooth without the modern harshness. Listen to the vinyls and see if you still feel the same.

13. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Well, I disagree that ATMP needs a remix "incredibly badly"; only a couple of tracks go so over-the-top that it's distracting. Most of the tracks are just lush and "grand" in a way that people wanted and loved at the time -- indeed, it could be argued that between himself, John and Paul, George was the only ex-Beatle who gave the public what it wanted in 1970: a "big" album in the Beatles tradition. Personally, I think "Wah Wah" and "Let It Down" and a couple of others would be more effective if the Wall of Sound was pulled back a bit -- just listen to the booted basic tracks for "Let It Down"! -- but I think much of the album is produced perfectly.

But call me crazy -- I think it may happen anyway. George had some regrets about all the reverb, and admitted in 2000 that he considered remixing the whole album from scratch. The album's 50th anniversary is coming up in just 3 years, and if the Sgt. Pepper box has shown us anything, it's that big Super Deluxe album boxes are now recognized as a valid product by Apple board members. Much like the White Album, George's ATMP is a natural candidate for an "immersion" box -- just consider this possibility and try not to drool on your keyboards:

CD 1: Stereo Remix [Sides 1-4] (with Wall of Sound intact)
    CD 2: Stereo Remix [Sides 1-4] (de-Spectorized)
    CD 3: The "Beware of ABKCO" demo tape
    CD 4: ATMP outtakes and alternates
    CD 5: ATMP outtakes and alternates
    CD 6: Apple Jam original tracks and outtakes (if any)

Every box comes with a free garden gnome. Who wouldn't buy this box??

14. Octavian

So I'm assuming you all prefer the original Let It Be to the Naked version?

15. Gramps Tom

AMEN! You put eloquent words to my thoughts.

16. If you're 50 or older the answer is no. You'll never get it.not in your lifetime

17. Gramps Tom

Yes.....

18. Octavian

I would love that. I feel there are a lot of people who do want it de-Spectorized, although I know I am out-numbered here.

I mean, if there was a complete remix which is what George would have wanted, I would gladly listen to that while all of you can listen to the Spector version.

Shaddam IV and marmalade166 like this.
  19. Octavian

I'm only 17, I think I might have a chance haha.

20. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

They should do it. Like they did with Double Fantasy! Sadly, all that echo and noisy gives me a headache... I would particularly love a unspectorized version.

21. Octavian

It is so un-Beatle-like though. I don't really understand why or how it compliments the music that the Beatles played.

warewolf95 and Shaddam IV like this.
  22. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I do, altho partly because it all sounds muted on LIBN.

lordfalconer and warewolf95 like this.
  23. Yeah. You're good

Fyi buy Apple.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  24. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

To the OP: I was listening to ATMP when I was 17 in the mid-90's. Found it by chance in a crate of my dad's old records. It blew my mind. Try appreciating it as it is. Do you have a record player? Don't stream it if you want to understand why we all love it the way it is.

25. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

Totally agree! I made a 1 disc version of ATMP without the jams, but adding I Live For You at the end. It sounded so weak and out of place after the enormous sound of everything else! Spector's production is really important to those songs.

I first heard ATMP when my dad bought the double cassette version when I was 10 or 11 years old. The cassette j-cards had the dark picture of George in front of a stained glass window, so after hearing the songs, I assumed that he'd recorded the album in a big, cavernous church where the picture was taken. It was a long time before I realized that wasn't the case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.