Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary editions to be released May 26, 2017* Anticipation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JOSERENATO, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

No. There are seven levels.

2. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

They didn't go there - they just put it round they were going there. What, you think Paul's just going to slip us the answer?..

ODIrony, soundQman and petem1966 like this.
  3. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

It's not entirely clear - then there are the hats... and the spats... and the stripes, buttons, medals, epaulettes, badges, feathers and musical instruments and poses.

There's a PhD thesis in there, or a chapter at least.

Still wondering about the hand gestures spelling out LOVE backwards o_O

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    ODIrony likes this.
  4. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Me thinks Apples and Oranges

5. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

In the Anthology TV show, the montage of the making of the White Album includes the end of (possibly an alternate take of) "I'm So Tired." John is audibly babbling gibberish. If Paul was babbling as well during the Get Back sessions, then we can deduce that what we hear at the end of the finished take are just nonsense sounds - not "Monsieur, Monsieur, how about another one" (sorry, Mr. Lewisohn) and certainly not carefully scripted Paul Is Dead clues. To me it sounds like "missim, missim, blissia. Ha bed zilla hmm, greet'n greet'n doo chee." Played backwards, there is a "hully zebna" sound that could be generously interpreted (by a properly primed listener) as "Paul is dead now."

Mal and Mark R Jones like this.
  6. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

This always cracks me up. :doh::laugh:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  7. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

"The New Originals" have been cancelled. Everyone?

Mal likes this.
  8. Ha ha !!!

9. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Yep.

mikecarrera likes this.
  10. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Esp. because he was just writing the song at that point, wasn't an album title yet.

11. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I did not know that. Hilarious. Did this have anything to do with the overturning of the earlier lawsuit ruling?

12. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

They are literally popular sweets of Britain or Europe, targeted at least in part to Harrison's pal Eric Clapton . Who apparently has or had quite the sweet tooth, & used to eat those sweets Harrison names in the song.

13. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

Unfortunately, yes. The courtesy of an email would have been nice.

Colocally likes this.
  14. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I would suggest calling it Magical Mystery Tour Anniversary Edition.

Disc 1 is a new remix of the original lineup of 11 songs. Disc 2 is Sessions (one early alternate take of each of those 11 songs). Disc 3 is the incidental music from the film like "Jesse's Dream," "Shirley's Wild Accordion," even "Death Cab for Cutie", plus and the original film mix of the title track and any unique mono mixes. Disc 4 is of course the film + outtake scenes, same disc as was released in 2012. That's it. The songs that ended up on YS were, to my knowledge, never intended for the MMT TV film or soundtrack, so they would not be included in a MMT re-release.

If Apple really really wants to keep pushing the Pepper box through Christmas 2017 then they could release some kind of teaser video on 12/26 for the MMT deluxe edition to mark the actual anniversary of the TV special but wait till February to release the box set.

The Ole' Rocker and Sean Murdock like this.
  15. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Of course I'm disappointed, but hopefully I won't be disappointed in the actual Sgt. Pepper Deluxe Edition (wherever/whenever I decide to get it).

And just to get even...I've sworn off that band The New Originals and will never buy or listen to another album by that sorry lot of musicians! :)

16. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Eh.... they weren't decent 'til they became the Thamesmen....

ODIrony, Mal and dewey02 like this.
  17. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Well, I'd buy it, and I'm sure a lot of us would -- but I'd hate to see those three 1967 Yellow Submarine songs orphaned forever from the "Super Deluxe" party. Because I can't see Apple doing any kind of anniversary edition of the YS album by itself.

soundQman and beatleroadie like this.
  18. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Although I've expressed some unhappiness about both content & price for this new Sgt Pepper 50. I'd of course still rather have it available than not. After I get to hear it a few times I'll be able to offer a reasoned opinion.

But what excites me more than Pepper 50 itself, is the idea that maybe there will be an expanded set along these lines, every year, for at least the next 4-5 years. Or longer.

I've been accustomed to a new Beatles Love or Anthology or Beatles BBC or LIB Naked more once every 2-3 years on average... And I haven't liked every release, or felt every release had something I wanted.. so the idea of getting lots of bonus tracks every year is exciting. Because with more stuff becoming available more often, obviously there will be stuff at some point I really want.

A lot of stuff I would have really liked on Pepper 50 they just haven't done. Although there are certain things about this new set I think I'm really gonna like. The fidelity on the new stereo mix for example, just the brief clips on the internet sound markedly clearer.

I can see why it's exciting to see an entire stripped down mix of the album, pre horns & later overdubs, & the new stereo mix. But I'm baffled why 5-6 different mixes & takes of the same songs on 6 discs, why that has people more excited than say the unreleased jams, carnival of light, adding in a new mix of Northern song, or a truly different mix of something... For example, say Mr Kite or Help from my friends, or any of the songs had been tried in a totally different way with different instruments ... Or something, & they were able to restore that other totally different attempt in a. In a new mix.. those kind of things would be exciting to me... But hearing 5-6 mixes of Mr Kite or Getting Better that are mostly the same to each other, why is that more exciting than say, just 2 mixes of Mr Kite & 4 tracks we never heard before ? That's baffling to me.

But again I'm still glad to have whatever I can get, it's better than nothing.. a few of them sound exciting, take 1 of Strawberry Fields with backround vocals restored for example...

But if someone said look we did a couple songs in alternate outfake mixes that are totally different, & added a few tracks that many consider weak, an avant garde excerpt of this thing Carnival of Light, & a fresh 4 minute mix of a Beatles Sgt Pepper jam, with some extra guitars from other takes, & a killer 2017 mix of Northern song, but as a result you can only hear 4 mixes on some Pepper tunes instead of 5-6. I'd say heck yes that sounds good to me.

But people here are saying, no no no, it's perfect the way it is I don't want any of that, I just want extra takes of Good Morning & When I'm 64 without vocals or bass guitar, that's radical good oh yeah... I just scratch my head, oh I see you want extra takes with no bass perfect.

But actually there was room at little additional cost to have everything on the discs anyway.. I don't get it. I wonder if the public at large would say, oh I'd rather have just 4 Mr Kites & 4 tracks no one's ever heard, instead of 5 Mr Kites & no new songs..

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  19. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Whoever did the cover art did a fantastic job - very stylish and great photos of the fabs

Wingsfan2012 and andrewskyDE like this.
  20. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Well the guys in charge are seasoned professionals...

Monasmee likes this.
  21. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Perhaps a Magical Yellow Submarine Mystery Tour.

22. evilpants

evilpants Forum Resident

Y'know what - actually, can people please tell me if they think this is weird? - in the build-up and excitement about the Pepper release, I even re-watched All you need is cash. Because it was made in the 70s and was done with such clear respect for the music and such affection for the story, it's become part of the Beatles story for me. Do other people feel like that about that film?

Thelonious_Cube and dewey02 like this.
  23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Another day in Pepperland.
    :goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    ODIrony likes this.
  24. Mark R Jones

Mark R Jones Beatles fan from 10 years old

Someone's already done a really good unofficial version. It has full length versions of all the instrumentals heard in the film. It's called 'Magical Mystery Tour Songtrack' and comes on 2 CDs

Wingsfan2012 and Sean Murdock like this.
  25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

One day The Beatles will copy Zappa and put out a beat(les) the boots series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.