Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

As if on cue, Blue Note just linked this article in FB: 'Jazz Is The Mother Of Hip-Hop': How Sampling Connects Genres

Well, if jazz is the mother of hip hop, then Jamaican Dancehall a' di Pupa, seen.

fastskillfulinjured likes this.
  2. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Hi Lon. Do you prefer it to the APO SACD?

3. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I don't have the APO SACD to compare it to. The mono mix is excellent and this is probably the way I'll be listening to it more often than not. (Does not have any additional material, I do have that on the stereo SHM-CD.)

5. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Is that a Pro-ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB?

Morbius likes this.
  6. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

7. Lonson

The mono version from the Blu-Spec CD2 Japanese box set of the Columbia Mono Albums set.

[​IMG]

vanhooserd, rxcory and SteelyTom like this.
  8. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Nope. Its a Rega RP3 with an Exact and a TTPSU.

Lonson likes this.
  9. Lonson

That's what I have too! And a white belt. Groovetracer sub-platter and Delrin platter and counterweight.

10. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Ok, couldn't quite tell in the pic but it looked like my turntable with maybe a felt mat on top of the acrylic platter and what I thought was one of the speed indicator bulbs visible just above the I in "recording".

11. Lonson

From the same Japanese Blu-Spec CD2 mono box set. . . .

[​IMG]

12. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Hey @Six String, I've been finding this other Paul Motian and the Electric Bebop Band recording, entitled Play Monk and Powell, that I received a couple of days ago to be MUCH more enjoyable than the s/t release. The first album, while I do like it, has a sort of lumbering plod to it, while Monk and Powell has more of a lilting swing. Kurt Rosenwinkel and Steve Cardenas mesh much better and I find their guitar tones much more to my liking (I think their tone on the first album, along with the slower tempos and some quality of the bass that I haven't listened enough to the album to put my finger on, contributed to the plodding feel), and, even though they've added an additional tenor player, it doesn't feel cluttered like the first one. Also, a big bonus, for me at least, is that they play some of my favorite lesser played Monk tunes: Brilliant Corners, We See, Boo Boo's Birthday and San Francisco Holiday.

In fact, right now, I'm on my fourth listen since yesterday to:

Paul Motian and the Electric Bebop Band Play Monk and Powell

[​IMG]

13. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Nice, and it's on W&W too. I like their cases though as some have noted, they don't always do a good job of securing the discs.

NP Grant Green - Grant's First Stand (Blue Note)
    With "Baby Face" Willette and Ben Dixon on organ and drums respectively.

vanhooserd, BKphoto and rxcory like this.
  14. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Actually its a float glass platter and that thing above the i is the power switch.

15. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I had both of these exact same thoughts when I opened it.

16. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Yes, yes, I'm just saying that's what I thought it was initially. :righton:

17. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

NP...

[​IMG]

sberger, alamo54us and Lonson like this.
  18. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Ah, I see. When I said hi-res downloads were like buying air, I simply meant that they have no resale value. At least with CDs if you find a better mastering you can sell your old one. I do have many hi-res downloads, and some of these are my favorite masterings. I wasn't trying to start a format war or imply that downloads were inferior in any way, except for being non-sellable (is that even a word?). I hope everyone enjoys music, regardless of format :righton:

Jacline and dzhason like this.
  19. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Now playing

I haven't really felt like listening to Zeppelin in years and, any time I did hear a tune, I felt like I had heard them enough as a teenager to last me now. But, a week or two ago my wife was getting in a Zeppelin III phase so I went out and got her the 40th anniversary vinyl reissue as an early My Birthday present from me :D. Then, today, I decided to go out and get:

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti (40th anniversary, 33.3)

[​IMG]

I'd been hesitant to get any of these since they are reported to not be mastered from tape, but after comparing ZepIII to my old CD I've had since the early 90s, I found the sound significantly better and had a change of heart, especially since I have no intention of ever spending an arm and a leg to try to get a good original copy for whatever they go for these days.

JeffMo, Morbius, rxcory and 1 other person like this.
  20. GruvyWade

GruvyWade Well-Known Member

I haven't pulled this out in a while - nobody talks about it, but it's great stuff. It was once of those discs I practically had on repeat for a month when I first discovered it. The first piece where he plays the 'acoustic' piano (unusual this late in his career) is worth the price of admission. Maybe not one of your first 5 Herbie albums, but one of the first 10. I have the Sony Blue Spec SACD - it's great.

21. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

I have the SACD too. I'm adding it to this coming weekend's listening queue.

GruvyWade likes this.
  22. GruvyWade

I am not surprised that people as picky about SQ are picky about their coffee, as well! A long time ago I dated a girl who grew up in Austria, she introduced me to one of these, likened the paper filter in my drip coffee maker to a wet sock, and claimed that American coffee pots sound like a toilet! I might be willing to flip a 45rpm every 10 minutes- but I'm too lazy to clean this coffee maker every day!
    [​IMG]

JeffMo, David Ellis, rxcory and 2 others like this.
  23. GruvyWade

Kenny's sound is soft, warm, and comforting, unlike any other trumpeter. Quiet Kenny was my first Dorham as well, it is more than suitable as a gateway drug. I have the XRCD mastered by Yoshida, and the SQ is perfect. I almost never buy things more than once (a lie I tell myself constantly) but I may pick up the recent AP SACD of it just to see if perfection can be improved upon.

Bobby Buckshot, rxcory and dzhason like this.
  24. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

All this coffee talk today has me thinking I should break out the french press tomorrow and grind up some of the finer beans a friend gave me a while ago. While I do appreciate that good beans ground and prepared in a suitable manner do have a finer taste, I usually just make *gasp* instant coffee and, because I'm used to it, actually prefer it :o.

Bobby Buckshot and David Ellis like this.
  25. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Random question: Am I the only one who likes to imagine that people on the forum are actually their avatars or is that something everyone everywhere does?

Aura, BKphoto, Bobby Buckshot and 2 others like this.