Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Flowers In The Dirt*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Murdock, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

Another thought I just had. While One of my main niggles these last few pages has been that the Mc/Mac collaboration is overrated largely because of how short it was in relation to Paul's career.

But by that same token, you could say that since the Sgt Pepper sessions (for example) only were a few months long (shorter than Macca and Costello's collab in fact) that they are overrated in their importance to Paul's career. Aaaaaand you'd be dead wrong! :p

Just a throwing that out there. Sgt Pepper it isn't, but maybe I'm looking at and trying to judge this collab from an angle that isn't really all that important...

MsMaclen likes this.
  2. Jayseph

Jayseph Somewhere Between Penny Lane & Alphabet St.

Here's something: it looks like the Prince Purple Rain remastered tracklist has been leaked. The second disc is filled with all 7 inch and 12 inch releases from Purple Rain with all b-sides included, unlike Flowers In The Dirt. And on Prince.org: the majority are complaining to the high Purple Paisley heaven that they are including all of these tracks on CD.

3. Mark Burton

Mark Burton Well-Known Member

How did you make this? I mean, with what program? I need to make one of these for myself and put it in my set. Can you send over the template you used? I love your design. Top notch!!!

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  4. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

You need a lightscribe cd writer on your computer or you can buy an external lightscribe USB and use it with the lightscribe software..

ZippyPippy and Mr. Explorer like this.
  5. Frank

Frank Senior Member

No. You see, the Distractions demo had Track 4 in the metadata, so that must mean that there will be 4 website releases! :p Just keep checking every day - that Motor of Love demo will show up eventually! "Inside Sources" say there's A LOT of promotion planned for this set! I can't say exactly what until 17 people reply 'huzzah' but I'll let you listen in my earbuds behind the Edison A&P.

theMess, Yorick, mrjinks and 5 others like this.
  6. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Lightscribe hasn't worked on any of my Macs in a long, long time. I've got two Lightscribe-enabled burners and plenty of the necessary Lightscribe-printable discs on hand but to my knowledge there is no longer any working Lightscribe software for OS 10.12.4 (Sierra). I'd love to be proven wrong about this ...

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  7. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

You were perfectly clear, Luca. I was just musing on the issue of the demo recording dates more generally.

theMess likes this.
  8. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

I understand :) In the FITD Archive Edition Deluxe there are two photos of the tape boxes of the Costello-McCartney demos dating one from early September 1987 and the other from October 1987, with the exact dates, which I don't have handy now.

theMess likes this.
  9. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

This dropped through my letterbox this morning. 'The postman's at the door...'

[​IMG]

Looking forward to re-reading this wonderful interview, a great addition to the boxset. I received number 33 (and 1/3?) of 500.

Of course, the physical aspect can't match the luxurious quality of the rest of the books - but for a fiver it's great value to have the interview in a physical form, and I think it provides a good balance to the Costell0-heavy narrative of the official books. It does fit very snuggly in the box.

Only downsides are, due to there being little room available in the box set the fitting is snug - to the point where I noticed that one side of the box began to bow slightly. If this box was wedged between two others on the shelf, this wouldn't be an issue - but since it currently stands at the end I'd be mindful of whether overtime the box will warp slightly as a result. It is a sturdy box though, so this is only a minor point. Also, the booklet is not as wide as the official books so it may slip further into the box - but this is just nit-picking.

Overall, I'm very pleased to own a copy of this feature - one of the best McCartney-related interviews I've had the pleasure of reading. A valuable addition to the Flowers material, and a well-needed alternative perspective to that provided by MPL. Thank you again, SDE!

theMess, supermd, Eska68 and 8 others like this.
  10. Mark Burton

You know, you could sell those without the music on it. Just the cd with the lightscribe label on the disk. Then the user could burn the music that they downloaded from the box set themself. I would buy one.

11. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Thanks for your response. You would think that this would be the perfect answer, right? But using and selling something with the Capitol and MPL trademark is just as illegal as putting the music on it. So if you are going to do one, might as double down. But being a retired police officer, not something I would do. I try avoiding inviting bad karma! lol

revolution_vanderbilt and RAJ717 like this.
  12. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Now that I have lived with this set for a few weeks I thought I'd chime in again. My first impression was that the new set didn't alter my view of the original album. That has changed somewhat as I have developed an appreciation for some of the songs I had previously learned to ignore. For example, I have come to appreciate Rough Ride, Figure of Eight and Motor of Love as good B level material. But I still can't develop any love for Distractions, How Many People or Ou Set Le Soleil. While there is a lot of A material here (My Brave Face, You Want Her Too, This One) and some very strong but more subtle tracks (Put It There, Don't Be Careless Love, That Day Is Done), there are too many tracks that I don't miss if skipped. In that sense, this album is a lot like Venus & Mars or Speed of Sound. A solid effort but not one of his best.

What has kept this set on my daily playlist is disc two and to a slightly lesser degree, disc three - the demos. In many cases the demos are much more exciting than the polished, released versions of the same songs. That is true of the Elvis solo releases as well. While I have always liked Elvis' version of So Like Candy & Playboy To A Man, I have always considered them B level efforts. But they shine in the demo versions. I think the released, original version of Flowers could have been greatly improved if some of these songs would have been included instead of some of the weaker (or more period specific) material. The jewel of disc four is Back on my Feet. Had this alone been included it would have elevated the set tremendously.

Alternately, if the disc two demos had been polished with some overdubs at the time and released as a duet album, it would have been a highlight of both artists catalogs.

Another note, McCartney's voice was in top form for this entire album. His vocals on the released version of Don't Be Careless Love are heartbreaking. And his raw vocal on the demo of The Lovers That Never Were is stunning. I also love the "hidden" version of that song (after Playboy To A Man) with the big percussion sound. Tommy's Coming Home and Twenty five Fingers are delights. Paul & Elvis' voices combine so well.

Finally, on disc four is a song that was unknown to me - Flying To My Home. Nice bonus.

In my opinion, this set has - by far - the best quality unreleased bonus tracks of any previous Archive Edition. Being that I wasn't a huge fan of the original album, I almost didn't spring for the deluxe box. Now I am very glad I had.

13. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I have regular pc's and don't own a Mac so I can't speak to that. On both of my Windows Vista and 10 (2 computers) it works fine.

rstamberg and Mr. Explorer like this.
  14. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

BTW, the other day I saw an auction on eBay with a bonus material cd and either was lightscribe or had a label printed on it. Didn't take a closer look. Will try to find a link later on

15. Mark Burton

Ah, you are correct. The logos would be an issue. Good point. Incidentally, I would never ask you or anybody to do anything illegal. I would love to get a disc like that, but only through legal channels.

Zeki likes this.
  16. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

So would I, but it should have been in the Deluxe box to start with.....

17. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder Thread Starter

I got my SDE booklet today too -- all the way in the U.S.! It really is a beautiful job, and it goes perfectly with the box (notwithstanding the nitpicks you accurately described). So someday when I'm dead and my sons are selling off my collection, the download link for "Disc 5" might be dead, but they'll have this awesome extra booklet to offer! Viva Physical Product!!

theMess, yardbuzzard, Eska68 and 6 others like this.
  18. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

got an email saying the Best Buy "MBF" vinyl single shipped!

19. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

Me too.

20. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Yes. The contradiction is that McCartney has claimed that the songs were recorded as they were written. Clearly, they didn't write the whole batch on two days so either McCartney is mis-remembering (or simplifying) or the dates on those boxes are the dates when they were compiled, rather than recorded.

theMess and Mr. Explorer like this.
  21. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb RĂ©sident du forum

Shoot. Looks like I missed out on that exclusive. I was in Best Buy yesterday looking for FITD and they had just run out...

22. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Some of the stores that I went to in NYC were sold out of them by 11 am on release day. They must have ordered like 4 copies...:shrug:. If not for the exclusive offer I would have gone with amazon as usual.

Johnny Reb likes this.
  23. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Number 246 of 500 safely received at work in Leeds this afternoon, looking forward to slipping it in tonight (ooh-er!) :)

24. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb RĂ©sident du forum

Despite this decreasing my chances of winning :D , there is a "competition" going on here where they're giving away a FITD box.

Competitions | uDiscover

25. I answered that Macca collaborated with Frank Zappa. Do I win? :)

Johnny Reb likes this.