Discogs experiences-postive and negative*

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by ROFLnaked, Oct 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You're not being too picky at all here.

I bet he just graded it visually. How does the lp grade visually?

If you have an RCM it might be worth a clean. I had a similar situation couple of years ago but ran the lp through my vacuum RCM and it sounded fine so I didn't bother with a return.

2. MarioHead

MarioHead Forum Resident

That definitely is not a VG+ record. I agree with the post above, try doing some wet cleaning and see if the playback improves.

3. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Anyone have rough ideas how long it takes for them to reply to a support ticket?

I can't believe they let people have more than one account. I added someone to my blocked buyer list and he proceeds to buy the item on another account.

4. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

Many websites allow this, eBay for example.

5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

There are legit reasons for someone to have more than one account as well. But there should be a way to link all accounts even if not visible to you. For example, putting one account on the blocked buyer list should also have an option to include all accounts linked to that one user. However, maybe, discogs doesn't even link accounts admin wise. They probably have no idea. Anyone know for sure how it works?

6. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

In many cases this can be circumvented easily. Slightly different name, slightly different address, other credit card or bank account.

eddiel likes this.
  7. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

I found an old thread with lots of people all talking about their multiple accounts and why they might use them (I just googled) - and there was this post by a Discogs staff member:

[​IMG]
    Staff 2.6k

We do not disallow a second account, unless the first account has had past issues on the site. Also, any issues on one account will affect them all - any abuse or suspected abuse, database or marketplace issues will result in action on all accounts. Using second accounts to get round restrictions placed on the first account is considered abuse. Multiple voting accounts are not allowed. Submitting using more than one account is inadvisable.

8. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

What happened? Did you block a buyer from a previous bad experience with him?

9. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

I only had to do this once, and it wasn't bad at all, like a day or two.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    hvbias likes this.
  10. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I've never dealt with him. He asked if he could pay me outside of Discogs as two separate payments from different Paypal accounts. This is an album that came to ~ $60 with shipping so it seemed really odd to me and I was thinking it would show tracking as only one being delivered to a confirmed address, he could then file a claim on the other as not being delivered. That combined with the amount of negative feedback had me really cautious and just not worth getting scammed. One of those instances where sellers being able to leave negative feedback helped.

And he somehow managed to circumvent the Discogs payment page when he paid with his other account, paying me as two separate $30 payments which I declined. I contacted support to cancel the transaction because the only options available to me are "item no longer available" and "buyer backed out", neither of which are true. Plus making sure with support that any negative feedback would be removed.

11. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I think you're on the right track with this guy trying to scam you by paying from two accounts when you can only ship to one. I'd tell him to send himself the rest of the money (for free, as it is) and pay all at once from one account.

Dave and hvbias like this.
  12. SoNineties

SoNineties Forum Resident

I am new to the forum and partially to vinyl . Meaning I used to buying until mid 90s then I stopped until last year.
    I have to say that I have not had much luck with Discogs with regards to used records.
    Made 2 purchases, for a grand total of 3 LPs.

1st Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder
    I received the wrong version. Though conditions were better than expected.
    Yes, I was offered a refund. But I would not buy it at all had I known it...

2nd Lou Reed - S/T
    Meant to be a VG+... shows groove wear and distortion all way long.
    Though I will admit that visually it looks almost an NM.
    Will have to return it.

The other record was Brian Setzer - Live Nude Guitars in actual VG+ conditions under strict grading. More than happy for 5€.

Both sellers have perfect rating and a hundred and more sold items, which makes it even scarier.
    I am not sure I will keep on buying form there. Ebay, I am told, might even be worse.
    No good shops in my area either.

Any advice on reliable sellers would be gladly appreciated!

13. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

If you don't mind please keep us up to date. I'd like to know how Discogs deals with all of this. Looks like you did the right thing here though. That buyer's approach was sending up all sorts of red flags.

14. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

They did take about 3 days to reply to the ticket, once I gave them the information they needed they squared it and said the guys accounts would be investigated.

eddiel likes this.
  15. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

It should be within 48 hours.

hvbias likes this.
  16. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

Discogs support staff are off on weekends.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  17. TeleStrat

TeleStrat Senior Member

I order quite a bit from Discogs and I seldom have a problem with albums I've received.
    That's probably because I only order new vinyl and don't have to rely on the seller's description of the condition.
    When I started ordering online I made the decision to avoid used vinyl so I wouldn't have to deal with the frustration of receiving an album that didn't live up to the seller's description.
    Buying albums should be fun, not frustrating.

Dave likes this.
  18. scotto

scotto Senior Member

Just curious about buying new vinyl via Discogs rather than an actual retailer/mail order site (Music Direct or Acoustic Sounds, for example): is it cheaper, more convenient in some way? Do these sellers accept returns in the same way? What's the benefit?

19. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

The benefit of Discogs is convenience (for me, anyway). I can find any specific pressing I am looking for. Where as most sites will list records more generically.
    Often, I feel the prices are cheaper on Discogs when it is a widely available pressing (new, or just easy to find).
    I can't vouch for all the sellers on Discogs, so I can't tell you how all their return policies are. I have never run across a seller who would not let me return an item though.

20. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Dude had the Roy Orbison - Sings Lonely And Blue 2006 Legacy CD for $2.98, Brand New. When he realized that it recently went out-of-print, and was going for much more, he canceled the order, saying it was "out of stock".

21. MarioHead

MarioHead Forum Resident

Same thing happened to me a few years ago. Bought a Complete Stone Roses LP for something like 29.99, only to be informed later that "it has been sold" previously.

22. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

When Discogs first introduced their app via Test Flight I was seriously unimpressed. Several updates later I remained indifferent and left it to die a quiet death. I'm not sure how long ago I took another look but I'm glad I did. The Discogs mobile app has become an essential tool for me especially when shopping for music. No more hand written notes. No more notes from the Notes app on my iPhone. Now a Want List I created is at my fingertips and better yet it has the information on the exact version I want. While it took some time and effort to create my collection in Discogs it's now easily accessible where I can check my library anytime (to ensure I'm not buying things I already have - hey stuff happens as you get old). Anyways it's very handy.

black sheriff and Myke like this.
  23. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

It's brilliant. When in thrift stores I just scan a barcode of any LP while in the Discogs app - and instantly it takes you to the listing for that release - no more having to type in names of albums or composers....

24. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Even better. I didn't know I could do that. However unfortunately for me my primary local stores cover up the barcodes with there own pricing label/barcode. Still, that's very cool.

25. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

Yeah it's great. Tap Search - then tap the picture of the barcode and it will use your camera - place the square frame over a barcode and it scans and returns the result from Discogs.

Here - I just scanned a PF LP I haven't opened yet...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.