Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary editions to be released May 26, 2017* Anticipation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JOSERENATO, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NothingBrightAboutIt

NothingBrightAboutIt Forum Resident

You can't forget the scene where John casually admits that he likes Paul's granny music and often listens to "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" by himself. Then Glyn Johns I think asks him why he tells Paul it's s**t and John answers, "well you know, every time I tell Paul his music is rubbish, he pounds out a million number ones. It's all competition."

2. NothingBrightAboutIt

NothingBrightAboutIt Forum Resident

That's kind of what I wish the Beatles would've done in December 1967, maybe even releasing a hybrid of a soundtrack and studio album featuring unreleased songs:

Side One

1. "Magical Mystery Tour"
    2. "Only a Northern Song"* (Anthology version)
    3. "The Fool on the Hill"/"She Loves You" (organ version)
    4. "Flying" (full version with complete outro)/"All My Loving" (orchestrated version)
    5. "I Am the Walrus" (with Little Nicola scene added before the song)
    6. "Jessie's Dream"

Side Two

1. "Hello Goodbye" (with opening narration taken from the movie)
    2. "Blue Jay Way"
    3. "Shirley's Wild Accordion"
    4. "Your Mother Should Know"
    5. "It's All Too Much"* (full version)/"Magical Mystery Tour" (reprise from the credits)

*= not in the film

3. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

[​IMG]

IronWaffle, maandrade and supermd like this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Yes "The Smile box " brings a :) to my face. ❤️ The packaging includes LP as well, not perfect, but one holy roller.

5. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I don't care what anyone says, that's a good song.

BeatleJWOL and vince like this.
  6. supermd

supermd Senior Member

When will Emerick stop? ;)

marmalade166 likes this.
  7. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

I fear any radically different versions or rehearsal type versions were probably lost for eternity during the record process when tape was spooled back and recorded over. Similar to the tantalizing brief instrumental bit of "I'm Only Sleeping" on the Anthology set. It only exists because whenever what'ever else was taped over the top of it didn't run as long.
    I fear some very interesting ideas that were rejected are simply gone.
    Some of you more seasoned veterans please wade in on this idea. As it's mostly conjecture on my part.
    And yes, no Canada box for me too.
    Oh Canada!

johnny moondog 909 and RonBaker like this.
  8. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I'm waiting for more of these new mixes appearing somewhere as a teaser; maybe the SFF/PL-single on iTunes? Maybe next Saturday?

voles likes this.
  9. Beatlebug

Beatlebug Another box set won't do any harm

Like many have previously posted, it would be great to have deluxe issues of all the albums. But isn't it the case that not many session tapes exist in the vaults for With The Beatles?

That would cause a problem in keeping the releases uniformly consistent in providing early versions of the tracks for each set.

What would be the best solution to overcome this? Include live tracks? BBC sessions?

10. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Google Doug Sulpy and his ' The Beatles' Radio Performances'. The remaster certainly sounds more lively to me, less noise reduction and other meddling...

Percy Song and Lewisboogie like this.
  11. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Now you are talking - a proper soundtrack on CD! (I don't know how to rip Blu-Rays)

I think the majority of BBC recordings are 'over the air' copies. Anyone into bootleggery might want to check out 'The BBC Archives 1962-1970' - pretty comprehensive.

ODIrony likes this.
  12. seilerbird

seilerbird Forum Resident

That much I knew. What I meant was I have never seen or eaten any of the sweets specifically mentioned. Never seen them for sale on this side of the pond.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  13. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

A boxed set of pre-Rubber Soul outtakes and remixes. That would make some sense.

Sean Murdock and Flippikat like this.
  14. voles

voles Forum Lurker

I know this isn't the price thread but as long as we are referring to deals, I would like to mention Pledge Music who have the Sgt. Pepper Super Duper for £96 plus pp at £12. I would rather support them than Amazon myself...

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    evilpants and Lewisboogie like this.
  15. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

Fair point.

Many pre-Rubber Soul outtakes will more likely be flubbed takes or alternate takes that are pretty close to the originals - only really of interest to hardcore obsessives, so a big box for those makes sense.

Remixes are an interesting issue, though. Those would probably have more appeal to casual fans, so there's an case for issuing the remixed stereo albums as single discs on their own.

The way I'd do it is to release an "Early Beatles" box set with all the albums remixed in stereo on discs of their own, and a few bonus discs of outtakes (most of them not from Anthology 1-2).

Then a few months later, issue the album stereo mixes separately as 1-disc releases. The disc would have the album, singles released around that album, and a few highlights of the outtakes as bonus tracks. It'd all fit on just 1 disc for each of those albums.

I'm thinking something similar to what Pink Floyd did with their early years set.

16. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

Does anyone know?

Paul H likes this.
  17. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Well if Tidal is using the same source, and it probably is, they claim they are 2016 remasters and they certainly sound better to my 68 year old ears than the already slightly improved iTunes ones...

Speaking of iTunes, when is Pepper 50 going to appear as a pre-order I wonder? Can't wait to hear some previews! If it had been Dylan, half the album would be out there on the web in some form by now....

funkydude and Yovra like this.
  18. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

more ? did I miss something? I have not heard 1 single thing as of yet apart from the trailer

voles likes this.
  19. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I know the adage is " you can't miss what you've never had" but I'm really feeling a sense of loss today. I had one chance to get this box. I was one of the earliest to pre order the Amazon Canada mistake and has been in tenterhooks for the last two weeks.

I'm totally gutted and almost in mourning that I will probably never get a copy of this now.

ODIrony likes this.
  20. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

Interesting. Thank you.

21. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

That's why I'd like to hear more; a whole track or some more samples...

22. voles

voles Forum Lurker

I only got the hint that these lossless remasters existed from this thread. A few people following this thread hadn't even heard of the BBC expansion and remastering and that came out more than 3 years ago! It makes me worry what else I might be missing...

I don't suppose anyone has found a genuinely lossless Bootleg Recordings 1963?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  23. galone_es

galone_es Forum Resident

Has it been documented the source for the objects that appear on the Sgt Pepper cover photo ?

24. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I think we've already had that for about 45 years now.
    It was a 2 record set called Cinelogue V. :D

[​IMG]

forthlin and voles like this.
  25. evilpants

evilpants Forum Resident

Have they done what I feared and cancelled the pre-orders?

Wingsfan2012 and ODIrony like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.