Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary editions to be released May 26, 2017* Anticipation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JOSERENATO, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evilpants

evilpants Forum Resident

Ah yep mine has been cancelled too. Oh well. I went on about the small print enough, so I've been expecting them to cancel. I feel sorry for the people who insisted that we would receive them, cos they're the ones who will feel most gutted. But for me this was always a "it'll be nice if it happens".

Wingsfan2012 and dewey02 like this.
  2. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

The cheap Italian pre-order has not been cancelled yet.

3. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident

That would be a good idea - i think however it would be closer to the Genesis boxes from a few years back (only with better remixes!)

4. ODIrony

ODIrony Forum Resident

Ha! They didn't wear outfits, they wore uniforms.

5. I wonder how Apple considers a DVD/Blu-ray film release in connection with a CD+ audio release.

I personally hope they consider them completely separate, and so wouldn't limit a MMT/YS era release just because of the film connection. Please listen to me, Jeff Jones and Beatles families, I know what's best! :)

6. evilpants

evilpants Forum Resident

I can't work out if that's just a nice discount or a proper pricing error. I've got it ordered there too. If that goes, I will buy it from a proper record shop.

7. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Oh, I don't know? This set would duplicate Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane from the Pepper set, both remixes and outtakes. Then it omits the Yellow Submarine tracks, You Know My Name and anything else in the vaults from the era. They're not going to include Death Cab From Cutie on a Beatles album. The Sessions disc would probably be a lot of duplication from Anthology 2. That album already features alternate/early takes of Your Mother Should Know, The Foll On The Hill, I Am The Walrus and Hello Goodbye. Your proposed disc 3 would be mighty skimpy. Not enough incidental music and unique mono mixes to fill out a disc.

In my opinion, a Summer of Love special release is the only way this stuff will be compiled, if it's done at all. All three of the YS songs have available outtakes and lend themselves nicely to 5.1 mixes too. All You Need Is Love could include the complete, unedited Our World broadcast version, rehearsals, not to mention remixed stereo and original mono. Then there's You Know My Name and associated jams that may have evolved from the sessions. This could be fun. If Carnival Of Light is ever to see the light, this would be the release for it. Maybe an edited performance that cuts out the most bizarre sections? Who knows? Unfortunately, the same issues I brought up earlier regarding MMT hold steady here. Some duplication of A2 tracks, the exclusion of SFF and PL. Maybe we'd have to re-think the Super Deluxe packaging for this one. Or perhaps it's best to save the odd and sods for one last 2 disc Sessions album. Ron

PS Let me think this over, but maybe a new thread could be started on a proposed two or three-disc Sessions album. No duplication from the upcoming Pepper set. Not Anthology 4 either, I really don't think that concept will work. But a one-off Sessions set could work as a stop-gap release between anniversaries or after that's been done. One final dive through the archives. Check EVERY session tape for unheard rehearsals or early takes. Have the principles go through their personal archives for acetates and/or tapes that have never been heard. In 2020 what will be left for Apple to release? There's not enough material on the early albums to compile 5/6 disc sets. Do they revamp and issue two-disc sets for each album? And if they do, what will they include? A smattering of outtakes? Will stand-alone singles be included? Questions. So many questions!

8. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

9. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

Apologies in advance if this has been posted. But the new Mojo Magazine issue coming out in late April is all about Pepper. They interviewed Paul and here's a link to an excerpt of the interview/issue:

Paul McCartney Sgt. Pepper Exclusive: “It Was A Risk!” | MOJO

Looks like a good issue: "Also in MOJO’s from-all-angles Pepper coverage: the Beatles’ peers recall when (and where!) their minds were first blown by the album that kicked off The Album Era; Nigel Hartnup remembers pressing the shutter on that cover photo; Jon Savage on Pepper’s treasures, song-by-song; Giles Martin justifies his new mix; and more!"

[​IMG]

10. ODIrony

ODIrony Forum Resident

I really feel sorry for you and the other. I didn't jump in on that bandwagon, but envied the ones who did and got the great low price. It would have been nice if Amazon had honored the deals. I mean, in the immortal words of Ewan McTeagle, "'What's twenty quid to the bloody Midland Bank?"

Thelonious_Cube likes this.
  11. ODIrony

ODIrony Forum Resident

They could release the remaining 67 songs and call it: All You Need Is Love - The Beatles Psychedelic Collection

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

andrewskyDE and ParloFax like this.
  13. paolo

paolo Senior Member

14. paolo

paolo Senior Member

Josip likes this.
  15. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Oh, I like it, too!
    Even the 'internet-out-take' I found where Paul is singing it awfully!

16. Fivebyfive

People do love to find the flaws in every word he says; and then wonder why he never gives anything away. I like that he mentions in the interview that the reviews of Pepper weren't universally positive. But I really hope the Mojo journalists asked Paul some sharp questions (as Mark Lewisohn has noted, most reporters who interview Paul don't ask him good questions; just the same old ones).

17. alexpop

He didn't mention the sound coming out of the 5.1 mix rear speaker. :)

18. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

On the new mix...

That’s been addressed in the reissue of Sgt. Pepper that’s due on the streets on May 26. A muscular new Giles Martin stereo mix returns the Beatles’ drums and vocals to central positions reminiscent of the original mono mix, and gets McCartney’s seal of approval.

“‘Muscular’ is a good word,” he agrees. “It sounds more like us playing in the room and more like we intended it.”

evilpants and Luke The Drifter like this.
  19. alexpop

Bob Dylan has already heard it and asked the waitress for another hard boiled egg with pepper on in it.

20. Norman garriock

Norman garriock Forum Resident

These were a cheap box of Chocolates popular in Britain at the time.
    Check out this for info and an image of the box; the lyrics are lifted much like lennons were from that famous poster.

Savoy Truffle | The Beatles Bible

Buddhahat likes this.
  21. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Hallelujah !!![/QUOTE]
    Where is the Postie with my subscriber issue... I hate it when I can read about the contents before MOJO has hit my doormat. Subscribers are supposed to be able to read it before anyone else.

ParloFax and alexpop like this.
  22. alexpop

Where is the Postie with my subscriber issue... I hate it when I can read about the contents before MOJO has hit my doormat. Subscribers are supposed to be able to read it before anyone else.[/QUOTE]
    Yeah ...I used to have a 2/3 year subscription with Mojo. It's nice when the latest cOoL issue plops thru your letter box ( on time ).

23. Fivebyfive

The internet ruins everything, doesn't it? ;)

Josip and Deek57 like this.
  24. At this moment (Thursday morning at 8:30 AM EST) it's #8 in "Best Sellers", but #1 in "Most Wished For".

Lewisboogie and gaels7592 like this.
  25. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Really? They aren't very uniform.

ParloFax likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.