Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

I'll own up to 1 and 4 and add bibliophile. My house is as full of books as it is records and CDs.

rxcory, Bobby Buckshot and JeffMo like this.
  2. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I've got no Previn in my music library and honestly none of them are up high on the "to buy" list, but he's got some fantastic kitschy covers.

3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

When you need to make space for more (music/books), which do you get rid of or send off to deep storage (books/music)?

4. Bobby Buckshot

1. Aspiring - got a long way to go but will do my best to avoid any of the negative trappings
    2, 3 4 - affirmative. Add whisky to number 3 as well. Have to balance the uppers and downers you know.

David Ellis and JeffMo like this.
  5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

If you go to garage sales, you can find them for 50 cents to $1 at many places. Then, they are worth trying.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  6. Well, Kind Of Blue is so accessible, even jazz newbies can relate to the beauty of the music. I love Miles Davis, but only up to and including Jack Johnson. If you guys can listen to On The Corner, you're better jazz fans than I am.

Jacline likes this.
  7. When I saw "French Press", I was picturing some kind of exotic sexual act.

peter1 and David Ellis like this.
  8. Bobby Buckshot

If there's ever a time when we all get together and spin tunes; there will undoubtedly be some good coffee brewing, wine/beer flowing, great food being eaten, jazz sweaters a wearin', and I'm sure someone here will be lighting up one of those jazz cigarettes.

WorldB3, rxcory, dzhason and 2 others like this.
  9. The picture in my avatar isn't me, though I have been accused of having a short fuse.

Aura, Jacline, dzhason and 1 other person like this.
  10. Bobby Buckshot

In no way will I claim superiority, but On the Corner is probably my favorite Miles I've listened to (to date); but I'm a bit of a percussion freak. Just beautiful music. It's like Miles took his inspiration from Sly and ran off into the jungle with it.

11. Just so long as it's not latte. The stuff they sell in Tokyo at a well known, tax dodging, coffee chain based in Seattle should be called hot milk... cause that's what it is. :shake:

The Kenny G. of hot beverages.

David Ellis and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  12. That's before the coffee...:whistle:

Six String and David Ellis like this.
  13. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I'm with Lon on this subject. I have never worried about Rudy's piano sound because the music he captured is so great.
    Sure I could focus on the piano and agree that it doesn't sound like the piano on those Three Blind Mice recordings from Japan but it doesn't bother me. It's about the music for me. It's not that I don't notice, it just matters less to me. I'm more of a music fan than an equipment fan. I love great sounding recordings but the music on those Blue Note albums usually surpass the music on audiophile labels imho. To each there own. I'm listening to a NY mono pressing of the Bud Powell album and it sounds like a Blue Note album by Bud Powell. It sounds good, especially with a cup of white tea.

14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Are you going to put down the Seattle Mariners and Soundgarden next?!? :)
    That's my hometown, Kenny G and Jimi are our "sons" from different extremes!

For strong coffee fans, anyone like cold brew coffee? It is a different process and produces a "stout" brew of the coffee varietal. Think Guinness of java. Stumptown out of Portland OR specializes in this drink and Trader Joes has an excellent one as well.

15. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I usually don't take those "on the road."

16. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Same here! I collect first printings or early printings for my favorite books. Nothing like the feel and smell and of an old classic, printed and bound in all-analogue :agree:

Bobby Buckshot and miklew like this.
  17. Bobby Buckshot

More so when it's really hot outside. But typically I go for the hot liquids. Feels better on the throat since my "seasonal" allergies tend to stick around 365 days/year.

rxcory likes this.
  18. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Good idea, fortunately one of my vehicles has a hard disk drive in it and rips any CDs to it whenever they're inserted, so this release now resides their for any road listening.

Six String likes this.
  19. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I was buying cold press coffee a few years ago from a guy in Oakland. It was pricey but very concentrated so you could make it at what ever strength you wanted. It is so e of the best coffee I've ever had. I tried the Trader Joes version and l
    didn't like it at all. It was cheaper but not better. Then last year I decided to switch to tea so I'm all about Oolong and Pu-ehr these days. This morning I'm drinking some white tea and some green tea from China that I just received from the first spring harvest this year. YMMV.

20. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Took a stack of Music Matters albums for cleaning yesterday and giving them another listen. Some of them were actually quite noisy, but so far they all have cleaned up exceptionally. Now Playing one of those:

Grant Green - Street of Dreams (Music Matters 45)

[​IMG]

21. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Agree to all of the above. I will say the bass playing on Butterfly is worth the price of admission also.

Crispy Rob, GruvyWade and dzhason like this.
  22. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

As an american who only just fell in love with the beautiful game about 4 years ago I have to say I am kind of jealous you got to experience Brazil 70 and Holland Total Football 74 and the greats of the that time in their prime.

At least I got to enjoy Iniesta and Messi as a neutral fan of the game.

23. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

I am not knocking Kind Of Blue, its a masterpiece and is accessible but since you bring up On The Corner that might be a better entry point to jazz for someone that grew up on Electronic or Acid House music than say Kind Of Blue.

I still have a hard time getting into the live 74-75 period with Pete Cosy when it comes to Miles but I have grown to love the groove of On The Corner over time.

Crispy Rob and Jacline like this.
  24. Six String

Six String Senior Member

WP Kenny Dorham Quintet (Debut) reissue lp

NP John Lewis - Sensitive Scenery (Atlantic) Japanese cd

rxcory and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  25. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I'm a big fan of Oolong myself, while my gf is a huge tea fan period. Where do you get your tea from?