Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary editions to be released May 26, 2017* Anticipation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JOSERENATO, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sounds like complete overkill to me but then I guess you're not paying for all of it. There's presumably nothing on the 2CD which isn't also on the 6 disc (not all CD) set?

raveoned likes this.
  2. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Our local retailer has the single for $30 and the double for almost $50 - the 6 disc is $335:faint:

3. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

I'm getting the 1 Cd. Want the remix, don't care about the outakes (I'll stream them a few times) and don't do 5.1.
    Would like to have the flat transfer mono, but not buying the whole set just for that.

SteveM likes this.
  4. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

The 2 CD set looks to be a edited down version (as far as outtakes and alternate takes) of the 6 disc set. So there isn't anything on the 2 CD that isn't on the 6 disc set, just kind of condensed.

I want the 6 disc for the whole experience (Mono transferred flat to CD, making-of documentary, etc.) and the vinyl so I keep my Beatles on vinyl collection up to date.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  5. Is this not the same identical mastering as the mono version in The Beatles In Mono box?

The Ole' Rocker and Lewisboogie like this.
  6. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

There was a lot of discussion when the colorized photo of Vol. 2 first leaked (I think it was via Phillipines Universal Music. The concern wasn't over the colorization, but they had photoshopped George's tie to make it longer. But when the disc was officially issued, George's tie was back to its pre-photoshopped length.

Such discussions could ONLY happen on the SHF! :)

Klassik, Wingsfan2012, AFOS and 4 others like this.
  7. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

I didn't think the Mono CD was a flat transfer. I thought some EQ was done with it. But beyond that, there are other things in the box that are not in the 2 CD set that I'd like to have.

8. slane

slane Forum Resident

No one knows yet.

It's described as a 'direct transfer', but direct from what? The master tape, the 2009 CD, an old LP?

Nothing I've seen about a 'flat transfer' specifically.

andrewskyDE and Sean Murdock like this.
  9. Yeah, I'm considering the 1CD simply to get a "listenable" stereo copy of the album. I don't want (or even need to hear) the out-takes. The definitive mono box version sounds superb anyway, either on CD or LP (I have both) so the new mono holds no appeal whatsoever. Like you I don't do gimmicky surround sound.

shantysnowman likes this.
  10. ODIrony

ODIrony Forum Resident

I can't even find the 2 cd set on amazon anymore. The closest I see is something listed as a SHM import. Amazon.com: Beatles pepper - Coming Soon: CDs & Vinyl

Wingsfan2012 and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  11. I suspect anyone hoping for a new transfer will be very disappointed!

12. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

13. seilerbird

seilerbird Forum Resident

There is nothing at all gimmicky about modern surround sound. What is gimmicky is people claiming that the mono version of Pepper is the one the Beatles wanted us to hear.

nasa09 likes this.
  14. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

Canada...........oh Canada................no more. We all knew at checkout that when the Official Spanish League Nike Ordem Soccer ball was rung up for $19.95 instead of $160 it was a mistake.........unless a secret promotion!!?! But no.
    I would be more concerned how the big box is shipped. Especially from Amazon. I've bought all the Jethro Tull Steven Wilson's and they are like a book and were shipped in an..........envelope!? One had to go back because the corner was bent. They will ship these in an envelope then you can order a tie and it's shipped in a big box with plastic air pads............

ParloFax likes this.
  15. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

I've been wondering this myself considering the acetate seems to be a copy of the final mix although it has yet to be determined (as far as I can tell) whether it is the mono or stereo version of the album.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  16. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

I think because the 2015 remix of SFF sounds great and a lot of people had problems with the 2015 remix of PL

17. ODIrony

ODIrony Forum Resident

18. LOL! Yes, it's almost as if George Harrison, John Lennon and Paul McCartney (Ringo anyone?) have never stated at any point that the mono was the "definitive" version. :rolleyes:

As for surround sound, do you like to sit in the middle of the stage when you see a band play live? It's not the natural position to my mind. I also think any retrospective remixing is principally nothing more than a sales gimmick to re-sell the same product over and over. A good mono or stereo set-up is every bit as immersive as a surround set-up but to my ears far more natural and like I would expect to hear live music.

Klassik, chacha, Lewisboogie and 2 others like this.
  19. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

And they didn't just make George's tie longer. But they also tightened up his trousers. Nothing left to the imagination... :whistle:

longaway, Denise Norris and dewey02 like this.
  20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I'm not the original poster of this image.

21. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Paul McCartney helps MOJO celebrate 50 years of the Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band with an exclusive interview in the magazine that hits UK shops on Tuesday, April 25. He recalls the circumstances surrounding the group’s most groundbreaking album and gives his verdict on the new stereo mix designed to add legs to one of popular music’s key benchmarks.

But as McCartney reminds MOJO, before Sgt. Pepper became an icon, there was a period of critical bemusement. How dare Beatles band go all weird?

“We were always being told, ‘You’re gonna lose all your fans with this one.’” McCartney tells MOJO. “And we’d say, ‘Well, we’ll lose some but we’ll gain some.’ We’ve gotta advance.”

In 1967 The Beatles ran the gauntlet of a media gripped in a moral panic over the younger generation’s embrace of drugs, and others who regarded Pepper’s stylistic smorgasbord and hints of thematic coherence as evincing ideas above the group’s station. The Lovable Moptops stereotype died hard.

Sgt. Pepper did actually get a terrible review in the New York Times,” recalls McCartney. “The critic [Richard Goldstein] said he hated it, thought it was a terrible mess, and then he was on the streets all week and heard the talk, heard what people were saying, and he took it back [in a subsequent Village Voice piece], recanted after a week: ‘Er… maybe it’s not so bad.’ But we were used to that. She Loves You was ‘banal’. But if we liked it and thought it was cool, we would go for it.

“…I mean, George doing Within You Without You,” continues McCartney, “a completely Indian record – it was nothing anyone had heard before, at least in this context. It was a risk, and we were aware of that.”

But even given Sgt. Pepper’s subsequent rise to peerless status, there’s one aspect of the record that has consistently drawn flak, even (perhaps especially) from fans.

“The original stereo mix is a bit of a period piece,” McCartney concedes. “You’ve got the drums in one corner. You’ve got the vocals in another corner. We would be at listening parties, have some mates around and I’d go, ‘Listen to the drums on this, man!’ …and you couldn’t hear ’em. Oh! They’re over there in the other corner of the room.”

That’s been addressed in the reissue of Sgt. Pepper that’s due on the streets on May 26. A muscular new Giles Martin stereo mix returns the Beatles’ drums and vocals to central positions reminiscent of the original mono mix, and gets McCartney’s seal of approval.

“‘Muscular’ is a good word,” he agrees. “It sounds more like us playing in the room and more like we intended it.”

Also in MOJO’s from-all-angles Pepper coverage: the Beatles’ peers recall when (and where!) their minds were first blown by the album that kicked off The Album Era; Nigel Hartnup remembers pressing the shutter on that cover photo; Jon Savage on Pepper’s treasures, song-by-song; Giles Martin justifies his new mix; and more!

Paul McCartney Sgt. Pepper Exclusive: “It Was A Risk!” | MOJO

22. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I want the 2 disc set. It's like 1/2 the outtakes at 1/5 the price.
    Plus 50 page booklet is pretty generous for the price.
    Maybe later when the big set comes down in price, but I can't really justify taking up the space.

SteveM and Pretty.Odd. like this.
  23. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Someone's going to tell me that "Beatles 1" was remastered in..., oh, hang on.......

24. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

How much does your order cost for the 2 disc?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.