Record Store Day 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Thanks. Too bad it isn't the promo mix.

Defrance and Embracetheday like this.
  2. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Probably because you can get an original for around $10 ;)

3. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

There is a treat in store for you!

Man at C&A likes this.
  4. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I saw in a newspaper article that Bob Seger's great 1968 anti-war single, "2 + 2 = ?" is being released for RSD. Will this be the original mono mix? I really hope so, for the more common stereo mix is unlistenable, with all the gimmicky panning back n forth, possibly more so than any other song I have heard.

5. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

That's coming from Third Man Records. Here's what they have to say about it:

First off, Third Man Records is ecstatic to partner with the Seger camp in the first vinyl reissue of Bob Seger System's "2+2=?" in nearly four decades. Remastered directly from the analog tapes by Robert Vosgien and cut by Ron McMaster at Capitol Mastering, Third Man will release a limited edition yellow-colored vinyl version for Record Store Day, April 22nd, with a standard black vinyl version to follow. Fittingly, both versions are being manufactured at Third Man's new pressing plant in Detroit.

As the debut release under the Bob Seger System moniker, "2+2=?" is a landmark moment in the evolution and career of Bob Seger. The January 1968 release of "2+2=?", Seger's first single on Capitol Records, is an emotional, spirited anti-war protest delivered at the height of escalating tensions in Vietnam. Stylistically, the hypnotic, repetitive bass line is accented by a stinging fuzz guitar accompaniment, all paired with Seger's signature vocal rasp.

Backed with the classic track "Ivory", this 7-inch single will feature artwork originally used on European picture sleeves for both songs.

[​IMG]

So, no info on mono vs. stereo, unfortunately, and though they claim it's a reissue, it has a different b-side, so who knows?

The good news is that a standard black vinyl release will follow, so you can hold out to find out without missing out!

Cake likes this.
  6. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

OBI on the new Link Wray reissue says his self-titled is coming (also Mordicai Jones)! Huge news. So hard to find for a decent price.

I imagine there's no way it will be die-cut like the original, but hoping they at least use master tapes. Anyone know anything about Tidal Waves?

[​IMG]

7. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

From Seger's last good album.
    Do you have to go to a Third Man Records pop-up to buy it?

8. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

You, on the other hand, seem like an absolute joy to hang out with!

9. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

I went on Third Man Records site and I didn't see this Seger lp a place to order. Will it be up later? Being released the 22nd, will this be released only to
    the customers at the 2 TMR stores only?

10. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

I asked the band on twitter about future availability, and this was their response:

4000 copies exclusive to #rsd2017 so... if they don't sell them all then the rest will still be available "out there"

but doesn't answer if there will be a single LP version eventually.

MEMark likes this.
  11. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident

I don't own a car. But I will be waking up at 5 am on Saturday, walking two miles, taking two busses - in the cold and rain - to get to my favorite record store at 7 am to stand in line for another hour until they open. All for the love of Record Store Day. I can't wait!

12. No uber or Lyft in Portland :tiphat:

Neonbeam and yellowballoon like this.
  13. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident

I live in a small, conservative little town outside of Portland called Sandy. There is no uber or lyft out here, unfortunately.

Mazzy likes this.
  14. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

You've turned pro.

15. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Looks like I've just outed an eBay flipper.

16. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I may just go to record store day this year, and I have no problem admitting that I will be flipping all the records I buy.

when side one is done, I will flip the record and play side two.

17. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

:laughup:

18. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Ha.

I'm a flipper,
    You're a flipper,
    She's a flipper,
    They're a flipper,
    Wouldn't you like to be a flipper, too?

19. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

I'm actually interested in the Yes 90125 picture disc coming out on RSD. The sound quality may not be the best, but I'd bet it will at least be as good as the Friday Music issue from a few years ago. Probably better.

20. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Heard back from Tidal Waves - Link cut analog from original Polydor masters!

21. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

They should bring back the CD longbox. You guys would go nuts over that.

Chris Bernhardt and lambfan68 like this.
  22. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Don't you have some children to steal candy from?

eddiel, giantleech, AZRunner and 2 others like this.
  23. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Thanks - that's well warned - the music biz waters are often shark infested.
    Might have bought Recurring, but have the original of this with embossed sleeve

[​IMG]

Key Production

Solvethebox likes this.
  24. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Although as many of the replies on that tweet point out, the ship has sailed: the record stores have already paid for the LPs, so the label has its money. Doesn't really matter if anyone buys them or not in that sense.

Although it's nice just to see Pete and Jason agree on something for once!

e.s. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.